• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie from France

zermak

If I am correct to have full volume control on your pot you have to set Roon with -17,7dBV (it is autosetted at -18dBFS so it should be fine) and then use the Chord at 1V.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Agree...

I'd just turn down Roon and live with it a while.

Wait till you forget what you did to critically listen and think "That's no good!"

I can drop 40dB here at the digital source and not notice a deficiency after turning up the preamp (all the way) to compensate.

Here is a "visual" example of 60dB digital attenuation using 24bits - 1/1000th the original signal voltage

1572884694802.png

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roons-64-bit-floating-point-volume-leveling/25547

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about the power amp input?
As the Preamp Output Level is given for 0.775V, <50Ω, there is a chance this input is less sensitive.
Worth a try... (well, volume control of the amp won't work in that case, for sure, so be careful !)

Also, unless the digital input of the SuperNait is seriously broken, there is a good chance the performance would be equal or better by using it directly, rather than the Chord.

Other than that, I'm just busy measuring a SPL Volume 2 (active volume control/attenuator, but with XLR I/O).

OP
Novak

Novak

Agree...

I'd just turn down Roon and live with it a while.

Wait till you forget what you did to critically listen and think "That's no good!"

I can drop 40dB here at the digital source and not notice a deficiency after turning up the preamp (all the way) to compensate.

Here is a "visual" example of 60dB digital attenuation using 24bits - 1/1000th the original signal voltage

View attachment 37858

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roons-64-bit-floating-point-volume-leveling/25547
Outstanding! I will read it carefully.
Where would you add the 40dB in roon software? In headroom? In volume leveling? or in speaker set up in DSP? Does that make a difference?

OP
Novak

Novak

What about the power amp input?
As the Preamp Output Level is given for 0.775V, <50Ω, there is a chance this input is less sensitive.
Worth a try... (well, volume control of the amp won't work in that case, for sure, so be careful !)

Also, unless the digital input of the SuperNait is seriously broken, there is a good chance the performance would be equal or better by using it directly, rather than the Chord.

Other than that, I'm just busy measuring a SPL Volume 2 (active volume control/attenuator, but with XLR I/O).
Thanks for your reply
Arf... In that case, why not changing it for another engine

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Where would you add the 40dB in roon software?

I don't know.

I'm not a Roonie.

However, I would presume it has some simple thing available to adjust the volume.

Digital Volume control is "simple". The digital values of the incoming signal are multiplied, for example, by 0.5 (for a 6dB reduction in output) or any other desired factor and the smaller values are output toward the DAC.

Let's see:

1572900910015.png

It doesn't get much better than 64bit and dithered, no less...

1572901025353.png

Now that may be a setting you don't want set.

---

Does your DAC have volume control?

apparently, no:

1572901512381.png

OP
Novak

Novak

You can also turn on DSP effects and set it one time there. That way your volume level in Roon works as usual.
Absolutely, I prefer to do that way. When modifying "DSP volume", Roon says the signal is no more "lossless" . I don't know if this is of any importance but when using DSP effects gains : no such issue.

But in dsp settings there are several ways to modify signal gain (headroom gain, parametric EQ gains , speaker set up gain..) I don't know if there is any difference or any possible loss using one or another or if there is no difference. I will investigate.

Last edited:
OP
Novak

Novak

Hi folks,

I am currently looking for advice.
Lots of things have change here on my set up. I am now using a hypex nc1200 power amp and I will soon move in a new house. So I want to change my speakers.

To make it short, what speaker would you recommand for this amp and a 40m2 room?
I want to keep the price on 4 digits. Maybe I am wrong but I would prefer lower than 88db/w sensitive speaker (4ohm?).

I have had a look a buschardt s400, q acoustics concept 300 (so beautiful), pioneer s2ex, kef reference 1. I am not technical enough to understand objective differences between these or others ... I would VERY MUCH appreciate a help to understand objectively which one is best? And why?

Thanks so much any thought or joke is welcome :)

exRanger

Hi folks,

I have been reading the forum for quite a while. I first wanted to thank you all! Thanks for your great level of expertise. Thanks to give a chance to guys like me (lost I the haze of audiophilxyz) to learn and build my opinion upon concrete stuff!

For all these reasons, I decided to register and follow the forum more in depth as I want to change my system in the coming month/year based on convictions, learnings and FUN !

Welcome Novak from a fellow French denizen (American expat, actually). Enjoy the forums.

Top Bottom