• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie from France

Novak

Hi folks,

I have been reading the forum for quite a while. I first wanted to thank you all! Thanks for your great level of expertise. Thanks to give a chance to guys like me (lost I the haze of audiophilxyz) to learn and build my opinion upon concrete stuff!

For all these reasons, I decided to register and follow the forum more in depth as I want to change my system in the coming month/year based on convictions, learnings and FUN !

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hi folks,

I have been reading the forum for quite a while. I first wanted to thank you all! Thanks for your great level of expertise. Thanks to give a chance to guys like me (lost I the haze of audiophilxyz) a chance to learn and build my opinion upon concrete stuff!

For all these reasons, I decided to register and follow the forum more in depth as I want to change my system in the coming month/year based on convictions, learnings and FUN !

Welcome!

OP
Novak

Novak

You teach how to make a good Baguette at home and we teach you about audio. :)

Ok I can try! :D making a baguette at home is like playing music in the garage with friends, fun but not always good. Making bread in a bakery is like recording in a pro studio. It can be very commercial and cost efficient or superb.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I've made some late night stops here in the past:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From France come L-Acoustics (Christian Heil), Nexo, Focal, Triangle, Cabasse, Devialet,...

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi folks,

I have been reading the forum for quite a while. I first wanted to thank you all! Thanks for your great level of expertise. Thanks to give a chance to guys like me (lost I the haze of audiophilxyz) to learn and build my opinion upon concrete stuff!

Bienvenue sur le forum ! Je suis content que tu aies mis le fun dans tes priorités. Tu te rendras assez vite compte que tu n'es pas le seul francais/francophone.
Yep, indeed !;)

Bienvenue ici. Ce forum est une vraie bouffée d'air frais pour tous ceux exaspérés de lire, année après année, les mêmes conneries au sein de l'ensemble de la sphère audiophile.

Promis, tant que tu ne nous parles pas de 150H de rodage nécessaires pour tes câbles secteurs cryogénisés, tout se passera bien!!;)

Another Frenchie around!

OP
Novak

Novak

Yep, indeed !;)

Bienvenue ici. Ce forum est une vraie bouffée d'air frais pour tous ceux exaspérés de lire, année après année, les mêmes conneries au sein de l'ensemble de la sphère audiophile.

Promis, tant que tu ne nous parles pas de 150H de rodage nécessaires pour tes câbles secteurs cryogénisés, tout se passera bien!!;)

Another Frenchie around!

Thanks so much!
I promess I will try to stay cool with cables. And you can believe me, I have done some BS around this thematic (influenced and naive I was...).

Is it the right place to ask for a recommendation about my setup?
I have a volume issue I would need recommendations to fix, before changing everything...

OP
Novak

Novak

We have all been
Definitely !! :)

Thanks
So here is my current concern.
Think about the volume control button of a pre amp or of an integrated. Mine as many others is at 0 at around 6 o'clock. My problem is that I cannot move the button at more than 8 o'clock. If not the volume is too load for my ears.

My setup is as follow:
Roon (no headroom but autoleveling at - 18dBFS)
Chord Qutest ( Set at 2V, I miss something at 1V but maybe that is purely subjective)
Naim supernait (80W /8 Ohms)
Neat motive sx2 (86dB/1W, impedance 8ohm if my memory is right)
I am sitting 3 meters away from speakers

Well, I have tried many things (with roon configuration, with some physical attenuators, moving speakers... With no good results).

So my conclusion is to start by changing the amp with something that allows me playing with the volume with a decent range before volume is to load. But I don't know if that's the right direction.

Have I missed anything?
Should I look at something less powerful?
Or go and pick a combination of Benchmark la4+ ahb2 that shows some impressive technical results?

Any idea or any joke is welcome

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Naim Supernait

https://www.naimaudio.com/product/supernait-2

Input Sensitivity 130mV

There's your "problem"...

2V / .130V = 14.81 times too many volts available from the Chord.

You said you tried attenuators, but if you want to twist the Naim volume knob further to the right, you'll need attenuation, either physically in-line or at the Roon source.

1572883014408.png

If deciding to purchase an attenuator, you could experiment with Roon volume (assuming it is marked in dB) . Turn the amp up to where you want, turn Roon down, and note how many dB you attenuate the digital signal.

Purchase in-line attenuators for approximately that value.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom