• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie finding a headphone for tarkov + in general

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I twist-locked (left cup) it but it kept happening.

Does it happen when connected to another device as well ?
Sometimes sockets in devices have poor contact. This becomes apparent when wiggling or rotating the plug in the socket resulting in intermittent contact or 'noise' in one or both channels.
When it is the cable bending it in a certain spot can tell you where the wire broke.

When the same thing happens on another device (phone, tablet, TV or whatever) I would send it back.
When you can't (bought second hand for instance) and it is clearly the cable buy a replacement cable on Ali-express or e-bay. Don't buy the expensive ones.

RandomEar

Just adding my experience: Try some entry level IEMs instead of regular headphones. Yes, the soundstage is almost always worse. But no, that doesn't mean you couldn't pinpoint the direction of sounds. It may make it a bit less precise, but in my experience, the advantages of IEMs more than make up for that. Mainly, the superior suppression of background noises from your enviromnent. My argument is simple: You can't pinpoint a sound you don't even hear because it is drowned in road noise, AC noise, PC fans or whatever else may be present.

Also, as much as I hate to say this, but Tarkov is riddled with cheaters. If you want to level the playing field somewhat without using cheats yourself, you could look into employing an audio compressor. Most Realtek drivers have this function build-in (called "Loudness equalization"). That way, you can increase the volume a bit to hear footsteps better without risking your hearing. It is still unfair to use a compressor, but in this case, I'd argue that the audio/game design is broken if you need to risk your health to be able to play the game normally.

Sombreuil

One should mention that sound in Tarkov, Counter-Strike, you name it, is broken. Having something better than a 560S won't help you. IEMs are good for games but having something in your ears for 5 or 6 hours straight isn't the greatest feeling.

Also, the problem with a compressor in those kind of games is that there are way too many different sound duration, which makes setting up said compressor quite a nightmare.
I tried in a game similar to Tarkov (Hunt Showdown) for the same reason and the result was rather mixed.

OP
L

Lism

Does it happen when connected to another device as well ?
Sometimes sockets in devices have poor contact. This becomes apparent when wiggling or rotating the plug in the socket resulting in intermittent contact or 'noise' in one or both channels.
When it is the cable bending it in a certain spot can tell you where the wire broke.

When the same thing happens on another device (phone, tablet, TV or whatever) I would send it back.
When you can't (bought second hand for instance) and it is clearly the cable buy a replacement cable on Ali-express or e-bay. Don't buy the expensive ones.
I've tried it on my Samsung A9 for 1 hour and I didn't get the issue, unlike my pc.

OP
L

Lism

One should mention that sound in Tarkov, Counter-Strike, you name it, is broken. Having something better than a 560S won't help you. IEMs are good for games but having something in your ears for 5 or 6 hours straight isn't the greatest feeling.

Also, the problem with a compressor in those kind of games is that there are way too many different sound duration, which makes setting up said compressor quite a nightmare.
I tried in a game similar to Tarkov (Hunt Showdown) for the same reason and the result was rather mixed.
"is broken" I know also cheaters.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Looks like a faulty/dirty/corroded connector in the PC.
Headphone + cable will likely be O.K.

paudio

Have thousands of hours in Tarkov and I am pretty sure that the game is literally not playing all the sounds. My duo partner and I have consistently heard completely different things during a fight. Like grenade went off in next room for him but nothing for me. Gunshots for him but nothing for me. Footsteps for me and nothing for him.

With isolation you should be able to hear more at a lower volume which might help. You could go with custom IEMs which should be the most comfortable. No hair donuts, no hot ears, no crushed ears, good isolation and you can get cable boom mics for them now.

I've been playing games with my Aeon Noire but I'm waiting on some LEAR audio skyline custom IEMs.

You could also tune as suggested with peace apo equalizer with frequencies suggested.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Any recommendations on which amplification I should get if I do get one?
Get a Creative Sound Blasterx G6 disreging of headphones and use scout mode. As for headphones try with AKG K702.

Zapador

I know you're asking for headphones and not a headset, but if the latter could be of interest I would recommend the Beyerdynamic MMX300 which is essentially the DT770 32 ohm with a microphone attached to it and a slightly different design. I have used mine for several years now and really like them, no problems locating where footsteps or other sounds come from and I've spent a fair amount of time playing FPS games. They're durable and you can get replacement parts if anything breaks or pads need replacing.
They may not be the best value though, for example a DT770 Pro and a separate microphone would be cheaper.

Top Bottom