• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEWBIE : Any difference between Linux Music Players ?

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
HI,

Currently using Linux to listen to music (Manjaro distro).

I have set it up so that sound does not use PulseAudio, but uses JACK that interfaces directly on ALSA (at least from what I have understood).
But that is not the question here...

I do no changes to the system audio configuration at all.
So every sound output is routed the same way that is, as mentioned, using jackaudiosink.

I can play my music through different music players : Lollypop, gusicbrowser, Strawberry, deadBeef, Quod Libet.

My question is simple :
"Can the used player have a different output despite the fact that is uses the exact same output configuration or should they all sound exactly the same ? "

PLEASE CONSIDER :
- I am not asking which player to use.That is highly subjective/personal taste.
- I am also not asking if I should use PulseAudio, ALSA, oss, MPD or JACK. I will find my way out of this by myself.

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

I should have mentioned that :
- ReplayGain is turned OFF in all players ;
- that I use NO EQ in any player ;
- that volume of ALL Players is set to 100%.

I do not know what dithering is though.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When properly designed they should output the same sample values. If not they, for whatever reason, are changing the values of samples.

OP
P

PenguinMusic

When properly designed they should output the same sample values. If not they, for whatever reason, are changing the values of samples.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

So, as long as I don't "play" with RG/Volume/EQ or any other "sound improvement" setting, all should output the same sound from my .flac files.

Can I get to the conclusion that in the end it is only a matter of tastes and need of features that makes you choose a player over the other ?

Regards.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
You could actually record the output from each and check. Since you're using jack you can use one of the patchbay apps instead of messing with the alsa config files.

Top Bottom