• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie advice 2/2.1 setup

H-RYCAJ

Hello all

First time posting here, looking for advice on my current setup and how to improve it.

Set up

Topping BC3 > Topping E30 > SMSL SA 300 > KEF 150

I have a Topping BC3 acting as a Bluetooth receiver/transmitter using Toslink out to a Topping e30 DAC. I am streaming music exclusively off Tidal from an android/apple / PC. When I use an android device that is LDAC capable, I use that, and I can stream at 32/96. When I use my iPhone/ PC, it seems to default at 16/44.

I will be actively looking for bargains over black Friday-Boxing day. I am currently looking to upgrade to a pair of kef 350. They seem to dip to almost half the price on sales. Would I get a more significant return on upgrading my DAC or perhaps to an SMSL AO200? I have also been looking at Network Stereo receivers from YAMAHA and Pioneer.

My question is, with a budget of 5-600$, what would the greatest bang for the buck be? How do network streamers work with external DACs? Should I get a Topping DX3 Pro+, remove the BC3?

Thank you in advance.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe go on Craigslist's for a used self powered sub-woofer.
It would take some of the workload off the KEF q150, making it easier for the Q150 to handle the mid range.

Last edited:
OP
H

H-RYCAJ

Hey, thanks for the response. I forgot to mention that I have a Polk PSW111 Subwoofer connected by LFE to the SMSL SA300. The subwoofer has separate terminals for speakers and amp. I don't believe the smsl SA300 amp can set cut-off points for frequencies. I think it just sends the mids to the speakers regardless if you have a sub hooked up or not. I could be wrong. I will check online and the manual.

This was one of my reasons for looking into a bigger stereo amp that has this feature. I am not aware of any small form factor amp that is able to set frequency cut-off points.

bravomail

Hey, thanks for the response. I forgot to mention that I have a Polk PSW111 Subwoofer connected by LFE to the SMSL SA300. The subwoofer has separate terminals for speakers and amp. I don't believe the smsl SA300 amp can set cut-off points for frequencies. I think it just sends the mids to the speakers regardless if you have a sub hooked up or not. I could be wrong. I will check online and the manual.

This was one of my reasons for looking into a bigger stereo amp that has this feature. I am not aware of any small form factor amp that is able to set frequency cut-off points.

I guess track Yamaha WXA-50, any decent receiver (like Denon) - they all can stream music.
I think weakest link in your setup is Bluetooth. Replace it with some Raspberry Pie for streamer and hook it directly to E30. Or use any PC, any laptop, Android tablet, phone for the same streaming functionality.

twsecrest

Might find a speaker amplifier here, that you like.

OP
H

H-RYCAJ

I guess track Yamaha WXA-50, any decent receiver (like Denon) - they all can stream music.
I think weakest link in your setup is Bluetooth. Replace it with some Raspberry Pie for streamer and hook it directly to E30. Or use any PC, any laptop, Android tablet, phone for the same streaming functionality.
Going to give the Raspberry Pi a whirl as it seems like a fun little project.

OP
H

H-RYCAJ

I ended up building the pi and running Volumio. A bit of a headache to set up on a PC for some reason. I got it working quickly on my android/ ios.

Top Bottom