• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New wideband compression driver - Celestion Axi2050 (300-20K, no crossover)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not an expert on compression drivers but this thing seems interesting.
https://audioxpress.com/news/celestion-to-demonstrate-axi2050-axiperiodic-driver-during-namm-2019

1586062941719.png

PE has it on sale for 1K:
https://www.parts-express.com/celes...bandwidth-compression-driver-4-bolt--294-2142

It weighs 18 pounds.

Anyone have any idea what kind of horn you'd put this in?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious what it does besides get loud.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And how it compares to the B&C versions, which are for us best known from the JTR noesis designs.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see the purpose of spending several thousand on this versus a properly engineered box.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I don't see the purpose of spending several thousand on this versus a properly engineered box.
Some have maybe an interest on it.

Building speakers is really interesting process where you can learn a lot.

That's a position. You can buy or try to build. And the one does not exclude the second.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some have maybe an interest on it.

Building speakers is really interesting process where you can learn a lot.

That's a position. You can buy or try to build. And the one does not exclude the second.

If I create something, it's usually something that'll make me money. This will not.

DownUnderGazza

Forum Donor
I have a DIY PA Stack that's lain idle for way too long. It's weakest link was always the HF CD. This Celeston wide-band driver caught my eye, it could allow me to better address cross over phase issues by opting for gentler slopes in the critical zone where the ear is most sensitive. Cost is not really an issue in this space.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious what it does besides get loud.

It seems to have an unusually wide bandwidth, and wide HF dispersion for its size. I question the utility of such a beefy driver for hifi but I’m sure some of the wilder DIYers and maybe a boutique speaker seller will spec them.

The other interesting new compression driver is Eminence’s with the checker-pattern CF diaphragm material that SB Acoustics is using in newer drivers as well. However, they only have a big one right now. For hifi a 1” or 19mm one would IMO be better.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Its a natural for very large concert reinforcement applications, but totally useless for home HiFi. The sensitivity is a bit higher than typical compression drivers (mine are 107dB/watt, this one is 108), and it goes down to 300Hz which would require a larger horn to cover that range. It is also rated at 150 watts, which at 108dB for one watt - well you do the math. Using this at home would be a bit like using a sledgehammer to drive a nail in the wall. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 617

Chris A

Its a natural for very large concert reinforcement applications, but totally useless for home HiFi.
:)
https://community.klipsch.com/index...sible-auditions/&tab=comments#comment-1369716

(The above list is probably less than 50% of the real installed home hi-fi Jubilee list--these are just the guys that have identified themselves on the forum.)

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/182997-an-unofficial-klipsch-jubilee-buyers-guide/

They're the best loudspeakers that I've ever heard (and, no, I'm not a SPL-head...my music library is dominated by classical and jazz recordings).

The problem you appear to have is your preconceptions of what the best louspeakers for home hi-fi listening should actually be. Find a pair and listen to them. I think it will take you nanoseconds to figure it out.

Chris

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The problem you appear to have is your preconceptions of what the best louspeakers for home hi-fi listening should actually be. Find a pair and listen to them. I think it will take you nanoseconds to figure it out.

Chris

Actually my main speakers are larger than those Klipsch, and I use four 18" subwoofers operating in stereo on top of that, so I'm no stranger to large speakers, and there are no preconceptions. My room however is 20' by 30' with a 12' cathedral ceiling; it takes a large space for the drivers in a large speaker to integrate at the listening position. That can't happen with very large speakers in a too-small room. The size and type of HF horn implied for using the Celestion driver would dictate an enormous room. Unless your home listening room is an aircraft hangar, that driver is inappropriate for 'home' use. ;)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

One still needs a box for the range below 300 hz, which happens to be higher than subwoofers go comfortably.

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
One still needs a a box for the range below 300 hz, which happens to be higher than subwoofers go comfortably.
Yes, and that LF enclosure would have to be gigantic to blend with the efficiency of the Celestion driver. This driver and its implied horn and LF enclosure would probably even be overkill for a large movie theater. A live rock concert PA system would be perfect for it.

Chris A

The size and type of HF horn implied for using the Celestion driver would dictate an enormous room. Unless your home listening room is an aircraft hangar, that driver is inappropriate for 'home' use.
You keep focusing on the output capability of the driver. If you actually viewed the video that I posted, above, of Roy D. talking about the "new Jubilee" (for home hi-fi duty) you would see that he is using this driver.

The next question I believe you should ask yourself is "why did he select that driver over all others available to him?" I believe that's what you're currently missing.

And yes, I would trust his judgment on this particular subject over anyone else's here... ;)

Chris

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
You keep focusing on the output capability of the driver. If you actually viewed the video that I posted, above, of Roy D. talking about the "new Jubilee" (for home hi-fi duty) you would see that he is using this driver.

The next question I believe you should ask yourself is "why did he select that driver over all others available to him?" I believe that's what you're currently missing.

And yes, I would trust his judgment on this particular subject over anyone else's here... ;)

Chris
Just because somebody makes a manufacturer video doesn't mean its the best thing to do. YouTube has lots of videos (even ones from manufacturers) with information which is not the best practice. The Klipsch video is heavy on marketing. And no, I'm not missing the point. ;)

Top Bottom