• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Weiss Helios

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Worth it at twice the price,
Actually don’t know the missive just says twice the price of the current 502 but as i don’t know what the current …
Keith

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Their casework has always been extremely attractive. Ignoring the price, the story and the looks are extremely appealing.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
We were once the Weiss distributor, Daniel is a super bloke, doesn’t flimflam, he was once asked what was the sound quality difference between his ’pro’ dac and the high end ‘Minerva’ ( 2x the price) he said there was none just the Minerva had a nicer case, he was absolutely vilified in the forums .
Keith

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Zero measurements or specs I could find, both on the website and in the manual.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
When JA measured the Weiss Dac202 it was the best he had ever measured it had a firewire ( remember that) interface, really nicely made dac and any issues , not that there were many were dealt with instantly.
Keith

Georgios

I've been sending many many emails to Daniel Weiss, he has answered every one of them. I can confirm what Purite Audio said about Daniel being very transparent for the difference between his hi-end and pro product lines. He once told me Medea dac is DAC1 in a better case which makes me very happy as DAC1 owner. lol.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I appreciate Daniel's attempt to cross over extensive DSP capabilities to the boutique hi-fi market. I think this will cause an attitude shift among slavishly purist snobs much more than MiniDSP ever could.

I would pay double of SHD prices for assembly in Europe, but five figures is way too rich for me

BentonF

He was once asked whether he would expect any difference between his Jason CD transport and something cheaper and he said he wouldn’t expect a sonic difference and that people would go for the Jason for its component quality and matching casework. Brutal honesty of biblical proportions.

MAB

Major Contributor
He was once asked whether he would expect any difference between his Jason CD transport and something cheaper and he said he wouldn’t expect a sonic difference and that people would go for the Jason for its component quality and matching casework. Brutal honesty of biblical proportions.
It seems more PT Barnum version of honesty than biblical.
I find the irony to be biblical though.
It’s a computer.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Refreshing to hear you can charge people $XX,000 for a DAC, not invent fairy tales about its performance, and still make money. I'm still only interested in paying about 1% of that, if I ever need another DAC, but it's refreshing.

Reactions: MAB

Chester

If he’s being honest and people still want to buy it, then good luck to him I say. That’s on them. I guess there are people with enough cash to not even blink at spending that on something they like the look and story of.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Daniel was also asked what was the difference between his Minerva dac and the ‘pro’ equivalent which was £1k cheaper and he said the feet and the case.
Daniel is a very nice guy.
Keith

BentonF

It seems more PT Barnum version of honesty than biblical.
I find the irony to be biblical though.
It’s a computer.
Do you want to expand on your comment or sling mud? Easy to sling mud. Difficult to setup a company from scratch after leaving Studer as one their top engineers and becoming respected world over by studio engineers, keep people in livelihood, drive GDP, win industry awards and still appeal to moneyed audiophiles whilst being super honest.

MAB

Major Contributor
Do you want to expand on your comment or sling mud? Easy to sling mud. Difficult to setup a company from scratch after leaving Studer as one their top engineers and becoming respected world over by studio engineers, keep people in livelihood, drive GDP, win industry awards and still appeal to moneyed audiophiles whilst being super honest.
Yes.
I don't consider saying there is no value in an expensive luxury item that sells for so much is honesty, especially not biblical, but I am not all-knowing about biblical honesty, so perhaps I misunderstand. The statement sounds like something PT Barnum would say.
I am sure it is a great DAC, with DSP. It's just doesn't have value more than a few percent of what it costs.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom