• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New vs used HiFi, vote.

New HiFi vs used

• New HiFi only

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • 90% New HiFi

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • 70% New HiFi

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • 50% New HiFi

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • 30% New HiFi

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • 10% New HiFi

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Used HiFi only

Votes: 8 8.0%

• Total voters

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't see it as a percentage. Sometimes you need to save money and takes your chances, other times you don't but really depends on what you're looking for....generally finding used gear for me is a pain due I"m not close to a major metro center.

OTOH I rarely look for used gear for the most part, and that's not just audio....but depends on what it is particularly too.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The majority of equipment in my three setups, office, stereo and home theater, is used or manufacturer refurbished. I've had very good luck over the years with refurbished and gotten some excellent deals buying used. What I buy new I normally buy heavily discounted discontinued or when on sale. I picked up my Audeze LCD-3 headphones for $850 and only paid $5,000 for my Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary speakers that originally sold for $27,000. I purchased every AVR I have ever owned manufacturer refurbished and never had a problem with any of them. They are normally about 50% of retail. There are some great deals to be found on the used and refurbished market.

Martin

Shat_thyself

All new, but I would usually look for open box, or damaged box for a big discount. Or waiting for the new revision and buy the previous version for half price.

naviivan

My DIY power amp is new parts - except for the old chassis.
All other gear is 2nd hand.
I especially love buying 2nd hand gear cheap from audiophiles who treat the gear like their most prized possession.

Indy

Totally agree. If you can buy somewhat local then one can see and play the equipment to make sure it works.

Top Bottom