• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Volumio Rivo

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@mikelangeloz
Is it possible to connect a touch screen? I believe most are designed to connect to something like a PC or RPi via HDMI and USB, I imagine for the interface for the touch portion.
I guess what I'm asking is what kind of functions are supported on the 2nd (non-DAC) USB.

mikelangeloz

Audio Company
Is it possible to connect a touch screen?
Yes. You can get one of those with HDMI (for video) and USB (for touch).

what kind of functions are supported on the 2nd (non-DAC) USB.
All the ones that USB supports, and that are actually viable software-wise. So to name a few: USB CD Player connection (for ripping and playback of CDs), USB Audio input (like a USB phono-stage), USB mass storage (for hard-drives), USB remote control (for example via a smart remote with USB dongle) and so on...

Highvolt60

Can you comment on the design of the digital audio outputs.
I'm interested in the re clocking & isolation of the USB (dac out) and jitter on the coax s/pdif output.

The Primo had very poor jitter on the s/pdif output so the Rivo sounds like a good solution.
Also on the Primo it was recommended to not use the HDMI out as this would degrade sound.
I'm assuming this is no longer the case with the Rivo ?

OP
ol_mcdonald

ol_mcdonald

Ordered my Rivo as soon as pre orders opened up. Delivery in November, can’t wait!

Darmur

Audio Company
Can you comment on the design of the digital audio outputs.
I'm interested in the re clocking & isolation of the USB (dac out) and jitter on the coax s/pdif output.

The Primo had very poor jitter on the s/pdif output so the Rivo sounds like a good solution.
Also on the Primo it was recommended to not use the HDMI out as this would degrade sound.
I'm assuming this is no longer the case with the Rivo ?

Regarding the SPDIF/AES-EBU output, the signal source is the SBC itself (a slightly customized version of VIM3L) which has an excellent SPDIF signal quality to start with.
The signal output from the VIM3L is buffered with a series of Schmitt-trigger inverters, then sent to the 1:1 transformers with high-bandwidth, for galvanic isolation. The signal output stage has it's own dedicated low-noise supply and its own GND plane.

Regarding the USB-DAC port, the 5V output is heavily filtered, with a series of LC blocks (we have ~4600uF in total on the 5V power rail). Each LC block has electrolytic capacitors and low-value ceramic capacitors, for filtering the high-frequency noise.
For the USB signals, we use a USB hub from Microchip (with its own low-noise power supply and GND plane). This IC has proprietary technology to buffer and reconstruct the signals from the host (VIM3L), for recovering signal integrity. The clock input for the USB hub is from a high-precision active clock (with its own low-noise power supply and GND plane). The USB port itself has its own dedicated GND plane.

Audio quality is not affected if HDMI video is used.

Highvolt60

Regarding the SPDIF/AES-EBU output, the signal source is the SBC itself (a slightly customized version of VIM3L) which has an excellent SPDIF signal quality to start with.
The signal output from the VIM3L is buffered with a series of Schmitt-trigger inverters, then sent to the 1:1 transformers with high-bandwidth, for galvanic isolation. The signal output stage has it's own dedicated low-noise supply and its own GND plane.

Regarding the USB-DAC port, the 5V output is heavily filtered, with a series of LC blocks (we have ~4600uF in total on the 5V power rail). Each LC block has electrolytic capacitors and low-value ceramic capacitors, for filtering the high-frequency noise.
For the USB signals, we use a USB hub from Microchip (with its own low-noise power supply and GND plane). This IC has proprietary technology to buffer and reconstruct the signals from the host (VIM3L), for recovering signal integrity. The clock input for the USB hub is from a high-precision active clock (with its own low-noise power supply and GND plane). The USB port itself has its own dedicated GND plane.

Have you made jitter measurements on the SPDIF/AES-EBU outputs ?
if so, would you share with us ?

The USB & HDMI info sounds great.

Thanks

Zaurux

I'm happily using a ZStream with as little software as possible (depending on what is possible with the on-board OS / limited services, cpu isolation of processes, etc).
But this device is limited to PCM384 / DSD256.
So I am interested in Volumio's approach to the Rivo and its possibilities up to DSD512.
The reality of the result in terms of SQ (USB output) remains to be compared. ;)
It's all about the hardware choices of each company (and the ability to keep an OS up to date).

Zeus+Leto

Hi Darmur,
Will the Rivo benefit from an external linear power supply?

OP
ol_mcdonald

ol_mcdonald

I have been using Volumio Rivo for a while now. In my view it benefits significantly when powered by a good 5V LPS
You must be closer to the source lol, I’m still waiting on mine! How did your Rivo benefit from the LPS?

franknorris12

What would the better output option be, the USB output or the AES to an external DAC? Specifically it'll be a Schiit Yggdrasil.

OP
ol_mcdonald

ol_mcdonald

No answers from Volumio here just like their “support”. I was very excited to purchase Rivo but have encountered several issues they have yet to address. Just bounced e mails around asking if my issue has been resolved and no response when I respond. Less than impressed.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No answers from Volumio here just like their “support”. I was very excited to purchase Rivo but have encountered several issues they have yet to address. Just bounced e mails around asking if my issue has been resolved and no response when I respond. Less than impressed.
Have you tried their community support website as I found that they are very responsive https://community.volumio.org/ ?

OP
ol_mcdonald

ol_mcdonald

Yes, and it was requested of me to submit a service request which has been like a dog chasing his tail.

AudioScience Enthusiast

Yes. You can get one of those with HDMI (for video) and USB (for touch).

All the ones that USB supports, and that are actually viable software-wise. So to name a few: USB CD Player connection (for ripping and playback of CDs), USB Audio input (like a USB phono-stage), USB mass storage (for hard-drives), USB remote control (for example via a smart remote with USB dongle) and so on...
I am so interested in getting a Rivo right now to connect to an external DAC of my choice. Only two questions are my road block:

1. Is it possible to connect its USB port to USB hub, so both touchscreen and external CD player can be used at the same time, without having to plug and unplug?

2. Some previous posts in this thread assert that since it's all digital to external DAC, there will be no SQ difference between Rpi and Rivo. I am still curious about the Rivo advantage.

AudioScience Enthusiast

What issues have you encountered, I am curious, as a potential Rivo buyer.

Top Bottom