• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Volumio Rivo

rarewolf

Check Apples website. I needed a lightning to USB, they had it, and delivered it in 1.5 hrs for $10 fee.

Please provide a link because I cannot find any cable at the Apple store associated with ‘lightning to USB-B’ or midi…

Edit… I received the new cable and it fits securely into the Lightning outport, and works just like it should. It’s a good thing… I was going into withdrawals using AAC Bluetooth. Still, it’s not my permanent solution…

Last edited:

rarewolf

Rarewolf, I am using the combination Volumio Primo connected over USB to the Topping D90SE (so I don't use the Primo DAC). Very pleased with it and less expensive.

The only “Volumio Primo” I was able to find was US$500 minimum. It would definitely work but it’s also much more than I’m looking for, function and price, when a Raspberry Pi would also work.

OP
ol_mcdonald

ol_mcdonald

jensgk

Forum Donor
I’m currently streaming from my MacBook Pro via Audirvana usb to my Topping D90SE and while it sounds great Audirvana leaves me wanting more. I’m intrigued by the new Volumio Rivo, a standalone streamer that also allows me to use my current DAC and has an hdmi output and UI I can control with my TV remote, providing more convenience and ease of operation. I do have the Volumio remote on my iPad but it’s lacking features I normally have connected directly to Tidal for instance, aaaand Tidal has no remote, so there’s that.

It’s almost a grand and I have zero experience with Volumio so there’s a little hesitation, fear of the unknown, lol. They have had a release of some cosmetically flawed units at a €200 discount which is enticing but there is absolutely zero chatter about this thing, yet I am undeterred, just seems like a fit for me.

Any insight or experience with Volumio would be appreciated. I’m as Amir would say “an early adopter”! FWIW, I’m not interested in Bluesound Node or Roon, just sayin…TIA!!

You really should try to make your own streamer using a Raspberry Pi ! The cost is a lot lower than buying a ready-made streamer, and the risk is very low...
It really isn't that difficult, and it is greatly satisfying to be able to do it, and control that aspect of your audio chain.

I am using moOde audio player (https://moodeaudio.org/), which is completely free, and in my opinion better than Volumio. If you do it yourselves, your can compare them for free :)

(My experience with Volumio: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...t-streamer-freeware.33837/page-2#post-1192691 )

OP
ol_mcdonald

ol_mcdonald

You really should try to make your own streamer using a Raspberry Pi ! The cost is a lot lower than buying a ready-made streamer, and the risk is very low...
It really isn't that difficult, and it is greatly satisfying to be able to do it, and control that aspect of your audio chain.

I am using moOde audio player (https://moodeaudio.org/), which is completely free, and in my opinion better than Volumio. If you do it yourselves, your can compare them for free :)

(My experience with Volumio: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...t-streamer-freeware.33837/page-2#post-1192691 )
Thanks, I appreciate your input and experiences, but I’m still interested in the Volumio Rivo. The thread you referenced only reinforced my notion about building, setting up, downloading, computer tinkering in general, it’s just not for me. I used Windows for years and switched to Mac, never going back. Not being a big pc guy I am not interested in building anything when an off the shelf , easy to set up solution is available.

I’m hoping Amir gets that copy of Rivo mikelangeloz eluded to earlier in this thread soon so we have his data and opinion.

jensgk

Forum Donor
I’m hoping Amir gets that copy of Rivo mikelangeloz eluded to earlier in this thread soon so we have his data and opinion.

If you plan to connect the Rivo to an external DAC, you won't gain much from an Amir review.
Amir would test the analog output, but since you would use the digital output and it is bit perfect (assuming any DSP is turned off), it can't get any better.
Amir does not check for bit perfect, also he does not review the user interface and other streaming features, which are probably the most important aspects of a streamer.
Also don't hold your breath for a fast review. Although Amir is very productive, he almost certainly has a large backlog of items to test.

OP
ol_mcdonald

ol_mcdonald

If you plan to connect the Rivo to an external DAC, you won't gain much from an Amir review.
Amir would test the analog output, but since you would use the digital output and it is bit perfect (assuming any DSP is turned off), it can't get any better.
Amir does not check for bit perfect, also he does not review the user interface and other streaming features, which are probably the most important aspects of a streamer.
Also don't hold your breath for a fast review. Although Amir is very productive, he almost certainly has a large backlog of items to test
Also don't hold your breath for a fast review. Although Amir is very productive, he almost certainly has a large backlog of items to test.
Yeah, right, not much use without a DAC. I’ll try to curb my enthusiasm.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have been running Volumio on an Asus Tinker Board for a number of years and sending output via USB to my Emotiva DAC. It works quite well. I have had a few DIY glitches at times when updating the software or enabling links to my NAS. I AM NOT not a computer savvy person. I would think most people on this forum can get a SBC and Volumio running in pretty short order and all in a case for less than $125. So the Rivo target consumer likely is not on ASR.

For those who don't want to mess around with all of that DIY stuff I think the Volumio offered hardware is a logical choice. The Rivo will need to be competitive in order to survive. It looks like you get the Premium service ($69 per year) with Rivo, so amortize that out over 5 or 6 years and include an inflation factor and the subscription alone is worth at least $400.

The Pro-Ject StreamBox S2 Ultra, a similar device, sells for $900.

Last edited:
OP
ol_mcdonald

ol_mcdonald

OP
ol_mcdonald

ol_mcdonald

Well, Ol McDonald, then perhaps you have found your farm, so to speak.
3178D6E1-A3F1-4573-831E-2F7F941887DD.jpeg
I never left, you should be so lucky!

sq225917

Major Contributor
I'm curious about what the OP thinks would improve by putting a pi in the works. You'll not improve the sound quality against a mac/ audivarna setup. Or are you looking for broader functionality?

OP
ol_mcdonald

ol_mcdonald

I'm curious about what the OP thinks would improve by putting a pi in the works. You'll not improve the sound quality against a mac/ audivarna setup. Or are you looking for broader functionality?
I understand sq should be the same, but as you said, functionality. I haven’t been satisfied with Audirvana or their remote.

UI for Rivo would be displayed on my tv, easier to navigate, better Tidal and Qobuz integration and metadata easier to see and read (I’m an old fart) those are key features for me.

Also tinker, build and computer free so it better integrates into my system. Mine is in a rack in a wall and I can rack mount it and not have to haul my computer to my listening room and back every time I listen and keep it and my iPad (remote) charged.

So, mostly convenience for me. I’m looking forward to its release soon.

TSX

If you want something better than Audirvana, you should consider Roon. If you’re more into music than gear, then Roon is without a doubt the way to go. For the price of Rivo, you could get a lifetime subscription and the hardware needed, if you look around and spend your money wisely.

Thanks

raysay

If you want something better than Audirvana, you should consider Roon. If you’re more into music than gear, then Roon is without a doubt the way to go. For the price of Rivo, you could get a lifetime subscription and the hardware needed, if you look around and spend your money wisely.

Thanks
Links please? Hvilken hardware vil du anbefale? Og link til lifetime subscribsion??

TSX

Top Bottom