• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Volumio is paid?

sjeesjie

I was a happy RPi Volumio listener until today. I thought it was a wise desicion to update the software so I did.
Guess what, Spotify suddenly didn’t recognise Volumio anymore, what could be wrong?
Turned out I have to pay now to install plugins? Wtf Volumio?
Tonight I’ll see if I can downgrade again but I don’t really want all that hassle. Are there any other recommended music players for raspberry pi?

mkt

Can you use a web browser within picoreplayer? I’d like to give Qobuz a whirl
there is a qobuz plugin for lms/picoreplayer

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dietpi works great as well

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dietpi works great as well
You can also pick and choose what components to install. I use GMediarender to access my NAS music and Shairport to stream via Airplay2.

ezublab

Volumio is still free. But you need to create a free account (email address) in order to install plugins. It is explained on the forum.
Paid version gives you access to other features such Qobuz Tidal multi room, BT, sync....

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Can you use a web browser within picoreplayer? I’d like to give Qobuz a whirl
Of course. Here's the Material Skin UI playing from Qobuz to my RME ADI-2 DAC.

1642619218616.png

1642619367792.png

1642619516577.png

norcalscott

Forum Donor
The new Volumio plan is, in my opinion, expensive for what you get. I am grandfathered in with the "Virtuoso" plan that is $3.62 per month so still get to keep that. I mainly subscribed to support the developer. However, now the only option is $7.37 if paid per month. That is getting into Roon territory - I think this is a mistake by the developers.

Add in the fact that many plugins no longer work (Last.fm for example) and it is really hard to justify paying anything at all if the free version works for you. Just too many alternatives.

dadregga

Volumio is still free. But you need to create a free account (email address) in order to install plugins. It is explained on the forum.
Paid version gives you access to other features such Qobuz Tidal multi room, BT, sync....

He's correct. You do not have to pay to install extensions. You have to create a free account with them and nothing more.
Source: Me, who uses it with plugins as a Roon endpoint OS and pays nothing.

jensgk

Forum Donor
I am done with Volumio, for several reasons.

I have used it on my RaspPi4 with a Virtuoso yearly subscription for about 1.5 year.

My primary gripes with Volumio are:
  • The eq extensions and other extensions never worked right and often crashed.
  • The user interface is pretty arcane and not as intuitive as other players.
  • The quality of the software does not live up to the expectations I have for that price.
  • I renewed my yearly subscription in June 2021. Then in December 2021, I wanted to make sure, that I did not get an automatic renewal in June 2022, so I canceled the subscription, expecting to have a Virtouso membership until June 2022. But what happened was that just after cancellation, my subscription status was reset to "free membership", and they kept the money for the remaining 1/2 year(!)
I happily switched to Mood about six months ago.

Last edited:

KaLam1ty

+1 for piCorePlayer with the Material Skin. Based off of LMS/Squeezelite, it's extremely robust for old and new hardware.
If you have a bit of basic HTML/CSS know-how, it's also very tweakable.

As long as you have properly tagged items, piCorePlayer/LMS works extremely well and looks fantastic. As expected, it's size responsive for mobile use, too:

1642629640449.png

1642629679284.png

bambadoo

yes agree to the last.
Never cared about Volumio after all. Been through most of the distros a number of times. Keep coming back to picoreplayer/LMS.

KaLam1ty

I'll throw out that I've also used moOde for quite some time, but found it extremely unresponsive and slow compared to LMS on mobile devices. One thing LMS seems to do very well is caching and indexing data (like album art, tags, etc...), especially if you have moderately sized libraries.

My phone is maybe a few years old, but it chugs along when browsing and scrolling moOde's interface. LMS speedy as hell, which is no surprise given the original hardware it was spec'd for.

OP
S

sjeesjie

Doesn’t work for me. I don’t want to register. I just installed RopieeeXL, works like a charm! Never looking back.

Top Bottom