• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Towers-BMR Philharmonic, Revel F208, or other?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For a tad bit more money (a couple of hundred dollars), you can do substantially better than the Goldenear sub which i believe is the weak link in the above speaker solution. SVS, HSU or Rythmik will give you much better for slightly more.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been giving this some thought. For $2575 from Crutchfield I can get:
2- Revel M106 Bookshelf Speakers
2- Revel M Stands
and
1- GoldenEar Forcefield3 Subwoofer

I am comfortable with that, but don’t know much about the Subwoofer. Comments appreciated!

I'd personally do BMR towers over this, it's like having 2 of those subs already integrated by someone highly qualified. Then save up for a pair of "real" subs down the road to smooth out response

fineMen

Major Contributor
... from KEF and Salk, but can’t find measurements on Salk towers. Also wondering if the Revel F208s will go on sale for the holidays?
The questions reads a little bit like "The Salk or something else?" I strongly suggest something else, if You are not already over-saturated with best quality sound from KEF or Revel products. The Salk is of course high end with the usual advertizing plot of paraphrasing wet dreams, some old times glitter and ingenious innvovation for a day. Technically the design's compromises are many. But there are fanboys too, so I won't get into details.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
2- Revel M Stands
and

I am comfortable with that, but don’t know much about the Subwoofer. Comments appreciated!

you can get better bang for buck both on stands and sub

tw 2022

Good god, I didn't like the LX, but the bass they produced was the best I have ever heard from a speaker. It seriously competes with many of the floor standers I've owned. I can imagine the sierra towers with the LX woofers designed on a Klippel is going to be full range as it gets.
"full range as it gets" .....much like the bmr...which is probably a better overall speaker...

muad

"full range as it gets" .....much like the bmr...which is probably a better overall speaker...
I have had both speakers. The LX woofer can take more power and play higher output than the BMR. I would say that the three way BMR is smoother and more even through the midrange. Just my anecdotal opinion.

Edit: unless you're referring to the tower? I had the old version BMR monitor with the can speak woofer.

Last edited:

pdfield34

2- Revel M Stands
and

Let's say you have no plans to use equalization. With this set up, wouldn't you have a better ability to produce a smoother bass response? That is, you could move the sub. I guess I have questions as it relates only using full range towers. Aren't you risking a pretty awful bass response?

tw 2022

Let's say you have no plans to use equalization. With this set up, wouldn't you have a better ability to produce a smoother bass response? That is, you could move the sub. I guess I have questions as it relates only using full range towers. Aren't you risking a pretty awful bass response?
Not really, without eq a sub doesn't have many real advantages over a good speaker that can dig to 30 hz( for music anyway, ht is a whole different thing)..I'd argue the advantages involved with having bmr's (3 ways have better inherent clarity in the mids) outweigh the other set up....ymmv

aarons915

Forum Donor
Not really, without eq a sub doesn't have many real advantages over a good speaker that can dig to 30 hz( for music anyway, ht is a whole different thing)..I'd argue the advantages involved with having bmr's (3 ways have better inherent clarity in the mids) outweigh the other set up....ymmv

Not true, the speaker is only half the equation, the room can and will make a mess out of your bass and you can't position your mains to fix that. Multiple subs are the only option if you want smooth, full range bass response. Also not sure why so many think the BMR are the end all be all in speakers, assuming the towers are basically the version 2 of the monitors with more cabinet volume, they won't be as smooth in the mids and highs as the F208 and certainly won't play as loud cleanly since they have dual 8" woofers.

I would probably go with the F226 be personally if I were in this price range and looking for towers.

pdfield34

Not true, the speaker is only half the equation, the room can and will make a mess out of your bass and you can't position your mains to fix that.
That's what I'm not clear on, or don't understand. Not sure full range towers can be a substitute for having subs (unless you know it works for your room).
I would think full range with subs would possibly be better than bookshelf speakers with subs (4 "subs" as opposed to 2).

tw 2022

Not true, the speaker is only half the equation, the room can and will make a mess out of your bass and you can't position your mains to fix that. Multiple subs are the only option if you want smooth, full range bass response. Also not sure why so many think the BMR are the end all be all in speakers, assuming the towers are basically the version 2 of the monitors with more cabinet volume, they won't be as smooth in the mids and highs as the F208 and certainly won't play as loud cleanly since they have dual 8" woofers.

I would probably go with the F226 be personally if I were in this price range and looking for towers.
I think you vastly overstate the issue if there is only a small listening area...multiple subs are nice for ht or large area dual use set ups , for a single lp the issue is much less an issue ...Edit: I'm not even going into bmr vs revel on this site, i have my opinion , you have yours...let's let that go before it goes ***any*** farther..

Last edited:

aarons915

Forum Donor
I think you vastly overstate the issue if there is only a small listening area...multiple subs are nice for ht or large area dual use set ups , for a single lp the issue is much less an issue ...Edit: I'm not even going into bmr vs revel on this site, i have my opinion , you have yours...let's let that go before it goes ***any*** farther..

Every room I've measured has had at least 1 large dip in the bass response, it would be very hard to position your mains and your listening position in a perfect spot to avoid all of that but I guess it's possible. Opinions are boring and biased, the objective differences between those speakers are pretty clear.

Reactions: a|F

tw 2022

Every room I've measured has had at least 1 large dip in the bass response, it would be very hard to position your mains and your listening position in a perfect spot to avoid all of that but I guess it's possible. Opinions are boring and biased, the objective differences between those speakers are pretty clear.
That's an opinion based on objective data.. Cherry picked of course...once again .. I believe you are overstating the issue...

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I have not heard BMRs but everyone that has ever posted that owned them or listened to them really liked them. You are in the price range of a lot of good speakers. Just make sure what you are looking at digs deep for the bass. I would say try and get 35hz for the bass. That would cover all your needs. If you want lower than 35hz you would need a dedicated sub. But I think you can easily get a great speaker that has good bass and be very happy and you save on the subwoofer money and have one less thing to have to tweak in. You are on the right path, just don't get side tracked as everyone on ASR including me, likes to spend other peoples money! :) It is an ASR disease that you catch when you hang out here.........;)

Last edited:

tw 2022

I have not heard BMRs but everyone that has ever posted that owned them or listened to them really liked them. You are in the price range of a lot of good speakers. Just make sure what you are looking at digs deep for the bass. I would say try and get 35hz for the bass. That would cover all your needs. If you want lower than 35hz you would need a dedicated sub. But I think you can easily get a great speaker that has good bass and be very happy and you save on the subwoofer money and have on less thing to have to tweak in. You are on the right path, just don't get side tracked as everyone on ASR including me, likes to spend other peoples money! :) It is an ASR disease that you catch when you hang out here.........;)
I've heard the bmr's they are easily the best books I've heard in the sub $2000 range.. Clean clear mids, very nice highs , real bass ,they won't need a sub in most small rooms.. Every revel I've heard and any I've seen measurements from all need a sub to fill out the bottom end ...most all of them measure well above 100 hz pending room modes...Edit an example: i heard the f36s a while back, 2 things stood out to me.. THEY NEEDED A SUB, and they have nice clarity for a budget tower...

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I've heard the bmr's they are easily the best books I've heard in the sub $2000 range.. Clean clear mids, very nice highs , real bass ,they won't need a sub in most small rooms.. Every revel I've heard and any I've seen measurements from all need a sub to fill out the bottom end ...most all of them measure well above 100 hz pending room modes...Edit an example: i heard the f36s a while back, 2 things stood out to me.. THEY NEEDED A SUB, and they have nice clarity for a budget tower...
There you go. If you have heard the BMRs and they have the bass you want. Buy them. You NEVER have to apologize to anyone if you own BMRs. If I did not spend all my money on my JBL flip 5 computer speaker, I would own BMRs myself!o_O

Tom C

Major Contributor
Bass levels really are a matter of taste. No one can answer a question about taste better than the listener/buyer.
My tastes run to more, rather than less, bass. I like to hear all the instruments clearly, and I don’t hear the bass guitar, acoustic double bass, or drums as well as I like without a sub. Maybe because my ears are sixty plus years old. On the other hand, first thing my twenty-eight year old son said when he heard my system was, “I can hear the bass.”
For me, the only space small enough to not need a sub is when you use headphones or in-ear monitors.
I don’t share a wall with my neighbor, though.

Reactions: a|F

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Remember for using a sub, if you do not have the neighbors calling the Police on the volume, shaking and rattling going on in their houses, you do not have enough sub. I just wanted to point that out. Now that is for true bass heads. A normal person can use a sub and fit right in or not use a sub and STILL fit right in. It all depends on what is "normal" in your neighborhood!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I can't hear the glass panes in my front door rattling, the subs aren't working well (for HT).

Tom C

Major Contributor
Hi,
I am looking for new tower speakers specifically for 2 channel music. I do not want to add a sub, so looking for something with good bass extension. I have a new Hypex NC502MP amp from Audiophonics and a Lavaudio DS600 dac. I am using Klipsch RP-280f speakers which sound very nice and have good bass, but am looking for something better in a price range up to $4000. Also thinking about speakers from KEF and Salk, but can’t find measurements on Salk towers. Also wondering if the Revel F208s will go on sale for the holidays?

Thanks!
BTW, please refer to the spreadsheet compiled by our very own @sweetchaos . It is quite excellent, and well worth the small time invested in educating yourself on how to read it. There are planets of helpful folks around if you have questions, too:

Sub comparison

Top Bottom