• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Towers-BMR Philharmonic, Revel F208, or other?

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
i think the only way is either directly from Dennis or second hand....
We have no dealers anywhere. And shipping the towers to Europe would be extremely expensive and risky. They're over 90 lbs each. Shipping our upcoming HT tower would be more practical. They're due to arrive in March.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We have no dealers anywhere. And shipping the towers to Europe would be extremely expensive and risky. They're over 90 lbs each. Shipping our upcoming HT tower would be more practical. They're due to arrive in March.
I'm hoping you do a run of ht surround speakers ( books)with the amt tweeter at some point soon.. If not i guess the bmr's will have to suffice...;)

Ericglo

I know you’re not asking me, but the f208s are on sale everywhere at 30% off until the end of the year. I read that on AVS in the Revel Owner’s thread by Rex something. He’s a Revel dealer. Further discounts could be had but not from places like Crutchfield who sell at retail prices.

He works for the thescreeningroom.com. You could also put in a call to Amir's company Madrona.

OP
T

Taiga

How would active monitors like the Genelec G Five compare with passives like the Revel F208 for 2 channel music?

Ericglo

Dennis,
Did Tectonic improve this new BMR? It is a lot more expensive, so I hope they did something to justify it.

Lsc

Crutchfield is selling at 30% off and free shipping. Just FYI.
Dealers who drop ship Revels usually don’t charge for shipping either. I’ve had the F228Be and voice2 drop shipped to me with no shipping charges.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Dennis,
Did Tectonic improve this new BMR? It is a lot more expensive, so I hope they did something to justify it.
The new units have a little more power handling, but the main advantage is their 8 Ohm impedance, which means they can be run in parallel to boost sensitivity. The frequency response is a tad smoother than the 4 Ohm units in the 1500 - 2000 Hz range, but choppier up high. I don't use them in the upper range, so that's not a problem.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Dennis, since you are so kind as to answer questions here, I will dare to ask another: can you tell us your reasoning for using an AMT instead of a ribbon in this design? Thanks! (And of course if that's proprietary info that you'd rather not discuss, we understand!)

Beave

Major Contributor
Dennis, since you are so kind as to answer questions here, I will dare to ask another: can you tell us your reasoning for using an AMT instead of a ribbon in this design? Thanks! (And of course if that's proprietary info that you'd rather not discuss, we understand!)

Nobody has ever confused me for being Dennis, but my guess is higher sensitivity or higher power handling or some combination of the two.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm guessing from my previous talks with Dennis that power handling and high spl capabilities are the reasons....but I'm sure he'll elaborate ...

Ericglo

I wonder if the new GMS ribbons might have been an alternative. Not sure if there are any differences between them and the old Founteks.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
The 64-10 RAAL ribbon isn't quite sensitive enough for this project, and it might not be able to stand up to extremely high output levels. The Mundorf AMT is much more sensitive, more robust, and has broad enough dispersion to meet my design goals. To stick with a ribbon, I would have to go with the 70-20 OEM, which is a little too restricted in horizontal dispersion to match the BMR midrange and actually has higher harmonic distortion than either the 64-10 or Mundorf AMT.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I've heard the bmr's they are easily the best books I've heard in the sub $2000 range.. Clean clear mids, very nice highs , real bass ,they won't need a sub in most small rooms.. Every revel I've heard and any I've seen measurements from all need a sub to fill out the bottom end ...most all of them measure well above 100 hz pending room modes...Edit an example: i heard the f36s a while back, 2 things stood out to me.. THEY NEEDED A SUB, and they have nice clarity for a budget tower...
Woofers are 6.5. Of course they need a subwoofer.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I don’t have any experience with BMR but it seems like a well designed speaker. I do have experience with Revel having owned or currently own the F12, F208, F228Be and Salon2 (along with M12, S12, C12, C208 and Voice2).

The F208 is a very good speaker and I would recommend them to anyone. And if you want a great HT/2 channel combo, the C208 is an amazing center channel as well.

The biggest thing with Revels and it applies to all the speakers I owned but especially the F228Be and Salons is their ability to play incredibly loud with perfect clarity and accuracy.

Good luck with your selection. If you buy the Revels from Crutchfield, you can return them.
Revels exhibit low distortion.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Stick with Revel.
Two different speakers. The Revel are more traditional while the BMRs have specifically designed in a wide dispersion. Adding a half decent sub to the BMRs should get you speakers that will do most anything. Of course when I say that someone jumps on the thread and says BUT the BMRs don't play all day at 120db in testing. That is an abnormal requirement for probably less than 1% of all audio geeks. I personally would listen or try the BMRs and if they work buy them! If not you can always back track to the Revels. In reality both the BMRs and Revels are very nice speakers.

Top Bottom