• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Topping L70 is just insane.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Topping just released their top of the line headphone amp of the L family and the specs are insanely good: fully balanced, a tad more power than the A90 in all impedances except 16ohms, relay knob.

They even got rid of the massive power brick that plagued the L30 and 50. And all that for 350 bucks. Thats just crazy, not only decimates the competition, but also the A90 and A30pro.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Looks like a winner on paper. Let's see how it behaves on the bench. Looking forward to see it reviewed by @amirm any time soon. However, I have no intentions to replace my A90D with the L70 ;)

Phoney

Looks like a winner on paper. Let's see how it behaves on the bench. Looking forward to see it reviewed by @amirm any time soon. However, I have no intentions to replace my A90D with the L70 ;)

We all know how it will measure. ;)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice set of features.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Yes, I saw that but those are pre amp mode measurements, not headphone amp mode measurements. I want to see headphone amp mode measurements....

PS: I know it's going to measure out of the charts and most likely it's going to get on top of the list, but again, I want to see a full measurements review by @amirm

marcom22

Yes, I saw that but those are pre amp mode measurements, not headphone amp mode measurements. I want to see headphone amp mode measurements....

PS: I know it's going to measure out of the charts and most likely it's going to get on top of the list, but again, I want to see a full measurements review by @amirm

Are you sure:
1666693094-BAL-THDN-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level.jpg

??????

marcom22

Only one question, I dont understand why in 16ohm is so "bad" ?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Only one question, I dont understand why in 16ohm is so "bad" ?

Delivering current is much more 'challenging' than just voltage and demands more from the feedback loop.
3.5W (7V/0.44A) with just 0.003% in 16ohm is still impressive.
When looking at 12ohm DCA headphones for instance, and 97dB/V it can still reach an impressive 114dB SPL peak.

marcom22

Delivering current is much more 'challenging' than just voltage and demands more from the feedback loop.
3.5W (7V/0.44A) with just 0.003% in 16ohm is still impressive.
When looking at 12ohm DCA headphones for instance, and 97dB/V it can still reach an impressive 114dB SPL peak.
It's clear now for me .... thanks man ;)

escalibur

Dat display looks so damn nice. A90D deserves L70 style upgrade! :)

juliangst

Doesn't perform that much better than my A30 Pro with heavy loads.

A30 Pro outputs ~4.5V at 8 Ohms.
L70 drops to 7V at 16 Ohms so I can imagine that it will have similar voltage as the A30 Pro at 8 Ohms.

The usual 16 ohm spec isn't really useful to me since my Aeons are 13 Ohm and some amps have a really large voltage drop below 16 ohms while others are not as current limited (like the A90d)

L-Train

This looks really good and the relay volume control is enough for me to upgrade from my L50 to this. However, looking at the specs the input sensitivity at high gain is 1.9Vrms which sounds like the output is guaranteed to clip at maximum volume with typical 2Vrms DACs. Is this correct?

juliangst

This looks really good and the relay volume control is enough for me to upgrade from my L50 to this. However, looking at the specs the input sensitivity at high gain is 1.9Vrms which sounds like the output is guaranteed to clip at maximum volume with typical 2Vrms DACs. Is this correct?
A90d input sensitivity is 3V and A30 Pro 2,7V. No idea why they do this. And yes, these amps can clip at max volume with a normal 4V balanced DAC

L-Train

A90d input sensitivity is 3V and A30 Pro 2,7V. No idea why they do this. And yes, these amps can clip at max volume with a normal 4V balanced DAC
Thanks. I just did a quick search on the forum too and it seems the input sensitivity for the A90 is specified post-attenuation (see this post), and since the L70 is said to have the same/similar topology I guess avoiding the last 1-2 clicks on the volume control with 2/2.1Vrms sources at high gain isn't the end of the world.

Top Bottom