• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Topping D70 pro

BossBunos

Received an email from shenzhenaudio about the new topping 70 pro series. Looks quite nice!
Topping E70Pro
Topping A70Pro

Really love the refreshed look and display. Finally they start to add features! Once they add PEQ profiles to their dac I'll upgrade my E50/L50.

Looks like the headphone amp really has insane power capabilities in low impedance.
Looking forward to their measurements by amir

1683621472091.png

1683621530959.png

1683621499332.png

Last edited:

vco1

This looks like something that could make me consider to upgrade(?) my DX7Pro (no plus). Although I'm more than a bit concerned about the quality of the software in these devices. Usually not a strength of these companies. And it seems that software plays an even more important part than in their 'older' devices.
Also, software and usability doesn't seem to get an awful lot of attention in the official ASR reviews. And I bet there will be nothing wrong with SINAD and what have you for these devices.

Trell

Major Contributor
With colour screen, FFT, and VU meter

We should expect a new version for the D90 and Pre90 with same features to be released this year

It also has an on-screen menu for some setup (looking at pictures) so that is handy instead of just using a remote with non-intuitive multiple buttons presses.

Perhaps Topping is preparing for GUI to set PEQ? :)

There is also this thread for the Topping A70 Pro that has some pictures for the D70 Pro along with it:

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
@BDWoody we have three open threads on the D70 Pro:

BossBunos

I also really hope they will make a more high end look and feel remote that can be bought separately. One that has buttons and icons that make a bit more sense and are less generic.

notsodeadlizard

This is a curious device.
It is not clear why an expensive eight-channel DAC is needed in a two-channel device.
It is not clear why, with such an expensive DAC, the device needs a cheap OLED screen. To look at what?
It is not entirely clear why balanced outputs are needed in a desktop format device for desktop use. What do they do better if the amplifier, even on the advertising photos, is right under this box?
It’s not entirely clear what to control there, in this DAC, it’s just a DAC, what kind of "new experience" in UI can there be?
And with all the beauty of these extremely important and very useful details, the "only DAC" costs almost 2 times more than Marantz PM6007 for example, more than Rotel A12 for example, more than Audiolab 6000A for example, close to Cambridge Audio CXA61 for example.
But these are all very good _integrated amplifiers_ with built-in DACs.
And an integrated amplifier means that along with the power amplifier you get a preamplifier with an input selector.
OK, in a desktop application, this is not important, but in general it is really very useful.
And these amplifiers are produced by companies that have service centers almost everywhere, and in the price of these amplifiers there is a component that pays for the service.

All this is very funny.

BossBunos

It is not clear why, with such an expensive DAC, the device needs a cheap OLED screen. To look at what?
How do you know it's an oled screen and not lcd, or what the cost/quality of the screen is? A display is pretty usefull to see what in/output is playing. Also quite handy to browse trough the menu etc

It is not entirely clear why balanced outputs are needed in a desktop format device for desktop use. What do they do better if the amplifier, even on the advertising photos, is right under this box?
Balanced outputs generally output a higher voltage so the input gain can be set lower on the power amp increasing its performance. And have you considered active speakers? They may need a balanced connection. And you don't need an amplifier in that case. So comparing it to an integrated amp is quite useless? It's a different type of product.

If you don't like it that's fine. With your logic you would never spend 500 on a dac no matter what...

MadMaxx

I think the new display looks pretty cool, especially the VU meters. Ain't cool enough to get me to buy the dac, though. I'm quite pleased with my E70V.

jdoe

Who knows what is the difference between ES9039SPRO and ES9039MSPRO? Because SMSL Su-9 Pro looks quite similar to the Topping D70Pro, but costs 500 USD instead of 700USD.

MadMaxx

Who knows what is the difference between ES9039SPRO and ES9039MSPRO? Because SMSL Su-9 Pro looks quite similar to the Topping D70Pro, but costs 500 USD instead of 700USD.
I think the M stands for MQA.

JSmith

Master Contributor
ASR review is up;

JSmith

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Display is LCD (not oled) and 2" in size (around 5cm).

The 3 options: Normal, FFT and VU, aren't available while playing in DSD mode.

Hmm, just saw:

This one should be closed.

Last edited:

lewdish

Theres also now an Octo varient w/ 8 CL chips for whatever reason. This would be cool if it was for like a HT Processor, but I dont really see the purpose of doing 8 DAC chips. Also just my 2 cents havent heard a CL dac that I've really liked the sound of yet (but thats just goofy subjective stuff). Would by nice to see Topping get into the HT market like Tonewinner but like get a license from Dirac/Trinnov or something.

Wunderphones

Theres also now an Octo varient w/ 8 CL chips for whatever reason. This would be cool if it was for like a HT Processor, but I dont really see the purpose of doing 8 DAC chips. Also just my 2 cents havent heard a CL dac that I've really liked the sound of yet (but thats just goofy subjective stuff). Would by nice to see Topping get into the HT market like Tonewinner but like get a license from Dirac/Trinnov or something.
The recent DACs that have the 9038 Pro chip going to new heights of transparency are apparently doing so by using all of the eight cores in parallel and summing at the end. This is just doing the same with eight mono chips.

Bob101

I also really hope they will make a more high end look and feel remote that can be bought separately. One that has buttons and icons that make a bit more sense and are less generic.
They already have a 'better' remote, the RC-22. I own one, because I lost my remote, ordered a regular new one and got sent the upgrade for same price (10€ difference). I did not complain. Works just the same, looks a lot nicer. Downside: 1) works on one CR2032 2) changing the battery requires removal of three screws for which you need a micro-hex screwdriver, not included.

Attachments

• 20230824_121009.jpg
    20230824_121009.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230824_121735.jpg
    20230824_121735.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 55

BossBunos

They already have a 'better' remote, the RC-22. I own one, because I lost my remote, ordered a regular new one and got sent the upgrade for same price (10€ difference). I did not complain. Works just the same, looks a lot nicer. Downside: 1) works on one CR2032 2) changing the battery requires removal of three screws for which you need a micro-hex screwdriver, not included.
Do you still have to aim at the unit with laser precision?

Top Bottom