• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New to the hobby...question

OP
J

jperls

And I have pulled the trigger on a subwoofer (SVS SB-1000...crutchfield had a deal going)...going to go with the speaker level input method of hooking it up to my amplifier (remember it has two amp inputs for bi-amplification...so the subwoofer will get a very clean signal. Looking forward to this...just hope I can find the right spot to put it without having to go wireless or put it in an awkward spot.

Edit: Changed bioamplification to bi-amplification :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

Depends on a pattern. Google Amazon on excessive returns. I'm old enough to remember checking out speakers in show room. Good luck replicating at home.
Me too. Hence I would not deal with a manufacturer who won't take returns. I have not ever bought a new speaker or any HiFi component really, but if I were to I would have the return or trial ability.

If they save money on brick & mortar showrooms they should be using some of that in the budget to offer proper customer trials and return services.

D

Deleted member 48726

And I have pulled the trigger on a subwoofer (SVS SB-1000...crutchfield had a deal going)...going to go with the speaker level input method of hooking it up to my amplifier (remember it has two amp inputs for bioamplification...so the subwoofer will get a very clean signal. Looking forward to this...just hope I can find the right spot to put it without having to go wireless or put it in an awkward spot.
BI amplification. Not BIO. Even though it sounds very modern.. ;)

This sounds like a good plan. Using the speaker level input / outputs on the sub will make the chances of a quick and dirty setup sound good with minimal tweaking greater.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
BI amplification. Not BIO. Even though it sounds very modern.. ;)

This sounds like a good plan. Using the speaker level input / outputs on the sub will make the chances of a quick and dirty setup sound good with minimal tweaking greater.
Most likely wireless and an awkward spot.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
And I have pulled the trigger on a subwoofer (SVS SB-1000...crutchfield had a deal going)...going to go with the speaker level input method of hooking it up to my amplifier (remember it has two amp inputs for bioamplification...so the subwoofer will get a very clean signal. Looking forward to this...just hope I can find the right spot to put it without having to go wireless or put it in an awkward spot.
Do the lo level I/O way. Dac to RCA input on subwoofer and from there RCA to RCA back to power amplifier, use DAC as preamp - volume control. That way you will have high pass filter (@80 Hz) so you just adjust subwoofer volume level and low pass to 80 Hz on subwoofer and ready to go.

OP
J

jperls

Do the lo level I/O way. Dac to RCA input on subwoofer and from there RCA to RCA back to power amplifier, use DAC as preamp - volume control. That way you will have high pass filter (@80 Hz) so you just adjust subwoofer volume level and low pass to 80 Hz on subwoofer and ready to go.
Amplifier has sub-out option as well...so it has the built-in crossover that attenuates the signal starting at 90hz. So, I have the option to go both ways...so we will see what happens with the high-level input first and if it doesn't work, I have other options

Last edited:
OP
J

jperls

And I am stuck using the sub-out unless I do the low level input/output way suggested by @ZolaIII. I will try the sub out first and then try the other way to see which one I like best. Yamaha's LFE crossover starts attenuation at 90hz...so its not too bad and actually may be just right given the frequency response is from 44Hz to 31kHz...so 90hz might actually be a great starting point for a crossover. If not, SVS suggests setting their crossover to 80Hz..so a 10Hz I don't think will make too much of a difference considering it probably takes 10Hz just for the crossover to really start kicking in. My personal thought was to set it to 70Hz had I had the option...but I think this will work fine :). Will find out tomorrow.

Thoughts always appreciated.

D

Deleted member 48726

And I am stuck using the sub-out unless I do the low level input/output way suggested by @ZolaIII. I will try the sub out first and then try the other way to see which one I like best. Yamaha's LFE crossover starts attenuation at 90hz...so its not too bad and actually may be just right given the frequency response is from 44Hz to 31kHz...so 90hz might actually be a great starting point for a crossover. If not, SVS suggests setting their crossover to 80Hz..so a 10Hz I don't think will make too much of a difference considering it probably takes 10Hz just for the crossover to really start kicking in. My personal thought was to set it to 70Hz had I had the option...but I think this will work fine :). Will find out tomorrow.

If you use the sub out from the Yamaha you should turn the crossover knob on the sub as high as it can go so it's internal filter doesn't interfere.

OP
J

jperls

If you use the sub out from the Yamaha you should turn the crossover knob on the sub as high as it can go so it's internal filter doesn't interfere.
Thanks for the reminder...will use LFE setting on sub...going to start out with the sub-out option first for a couple of days...then I may do the RCA input from the SMSL DAC and then output to the amp (crossover set at 75hz)...so the sub acts as a high-pass filter.

OP
J

jperls

What an incredible difference adding this subwoofer has been to this system. Everything just feels more alive and wonderful...sorry, wish I had better words for it. All I know is I installed the subwoofer around 4pm and before I knew it, it was 7pm...I got completely lost in my music. Very satisfied :).

D

Deleted member 48726

What an incredible difference adding this subwoofer has been to this system. Everything just feels more alive and wonderful...sorry, wish I had better words for it. All I know is I installed the subwoofer around 4pm and before I knew it, it was 7pm...I got completely lost in my music. Very satisfied :).
Congratulations! Nothing beats that feeling. :cool:

OP
J

jperls

So I tried using the subwoofer as a "high-pass" crossover (meaning dac was input into subwoofer, crossover set to appx 85, then subwoofer out to amplifier). Not sure why, but I was not a big fan of the sound quality...something was very different vs. the subwoofer out/lfe input. I wish I could explain it. Part of it may be that the sub-out from the yamaha allows volume control of the sub in conjunction with the amp volume (i.e. set the gain, volume control from yamaha actually turns down volume of the sub...other way around, have to adjust gain every time). This might not have been a problem had I bought the SVS 100 SB Pro which has bluetooth capability (i.e. turn volume down on the fly from a phone). I still have yet to try a high-level input connection...so that will be my next option. I have heard that a lot of audiophiles prefer the use of high-level input for music because of the direct signal coming from the amplifier and the subwoofer crossover acting as the low-pass filter like it should. But I must admit, the Yamaha's sub-out which attenuates 90hz and lower does a pretty good job.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So I tried using the subwoofer as a "high-pass" crossover (meaning dac was input into subwoofer, crossover set to appx 85, then subwoofer out to amplifier). Not sure why, but I was not a big fan of the sound quality...something was very different vs. the subwoofer out/lfe input. I wish I could explain it. Part of it may be that the sub-out from the yamaha allows volume control of the sub in conjunction with the amp volume (i.e. set the gain, volume control from yamaha actually turns down volume of the sub...other way around, have to adjust gain every time). This might not have been a problem had I bought the SVS 100 SB Pro which has bluetooth capability (i.e. turn volume down on the fly from a phone). I still have yet to try a high-level input connection...so that will be my next option. I have heard that a lot of audiophiles prefer the use of high-level input for music because of the direct signal coming from the amplifier and the subwoofer crossover acting as the low-pass filter like it should. But I must admit, the Yamaha's sub-out which attenuates 90hz and lower does a pretty good job.

I would use the sub-out from my amp to hook to your new sub. If SVS recos crossing at 80Hz start there and tweak for more or less thump knowing that it’s only getting a signal from your amp 90Hz or lower. I have the same sub. The only reason to use the speaker level inputs would be if you didn‘t have a sub out on your amp or for some reason wanted to crossover higher than 90Hz (you won’t need to do that with your ELACs). You wouldn’t connect your DAC directly to the sub.

OP
J

jperls

I would use the sub-out from my amp to hook to your new sub. If SVS recos crossing at 80Hz start there and tweak for more or less thump knowing that it’s only getting a signal from your amp 90Hz or lower. I have the same sub. The only reason to use the speaker level inputs would be if you didn‘t have a sub out on your amp or for some reason wanted to crossover higher than 90Hz (you won’t need to do that with your ELACs). You wouldn’t connect your DAC directly to the sub.
Funny thing is...I believe where the amp starts its attenuation (90hz) is just fine...believe the sub doesn't kick in till about 75hz since there is a decay...so I don't think I have to do anything. the only reason I am thinking about the high level output option is the purity of the signal...but right now I am just very please with the setup. The only thing I am doing next is wrapping the sub in a gloss white vinyl wrap (sub only came in ash black...but I want to match the Elacs.

OP
J

jperls

Thought I might show you all what the set-up looks like :). Also, just trying out Apple Music....really enjoying it so far (especially the classical app...their recommendations so far agree to my tastes when it comes to what I am looking for with specific pieces/renditions).

Attachments

• IMG_3495.jpg
    IMG_3495.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 47

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thought I might show you all what the set-up looks like :). Also, just trying out Apple Music....really enjoying it so far (especially the classical app...their recommendations so far agree to my tastes when it comes to what I am looking for with specific pieces/renditions).
It’s a very nice looking room you have. And I’m sure it sounds great. I also use Apple Music and have no complaints.

OP
J

jperls

It’s a very nice looking room you have. And I’m sure it sounds great. I also use Apple Music and have no complaints.

Thank you...the funny thing is...every since I installed the subwoofer, I don't hear as much reflection as I used to...either my ears have adjusted to the reflection and filtered it out or the subwoofer frequencies have somehow cut out what I was hearing. The system sounds amazing. I thought i was going to have a real problem with reflections give the room is like a tube (see post 21 on pg 2...system is placed on wall between balcony and bedroom doors...so the sound is traveling "into" the living room so to speak).

All I know is that whatever has happened listening to music out of this system is an incredible experience (and sometimes very emotional...found myself crying while listening to an incredible rendition of Bach St. Matthews Passion...but that could be more from memories I have associated with that piece and seeing it live with my grandmother before she passed).

OP
J

jperls

And back goes the SMSL DO300...so this morning, my system started making popping noises...no reason. Checked connections...ok, plugged in my dvd/cd player directly to the amp...ok. Changed output cables to DAC...popping noises continue.

Switched back to my Modi 3 dac...everything is ok.

It was a nice dac...but if its built that cheaply...lesson learned

OP
J

jperls

Just pulled the trigger on the Topping E70 Velvet Dac. Bought it from Apos which has a 45 day return policy (going to keep all the packaging in case this one goes bad).

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just pulled the trigger on the Topping E70 Velvet Dac. Bought it from Apos which has a 45 day return policy (going to keep all the packaging in case this one goes bad).
What was it that you disliked about the Modi 3? I have one and I honestly can’t tell the difference between it and my Topping D70s when playing Red Book CDs via coax input and RCA output.

Top Bottom