• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New to the Forum! I have some questions regarding the DAC to purchase in my situation.

Griffanio

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking on this site for a while but finally made an account to ask some questions.
So currently, I am trying to find the best solution for a DAC to be used as a Headphone amplifier, as well as for connecting to my speaker Amplifier powering a set of Bowers and Wilkins 703's.

Here is my current Setup:
-EVGA NU Audio Sound card in my PC (Playing mostly FLAC files)
-That is connected through RCA to my Sansui 9090db Amplifier
-Amp is then connected to my B&W 703's

The Sansui 9090db has a headphone jack, but I am not to keen on the sound of it. I was running a Vincent SV-500 Amplifier prior and the headphone jack on that sounded much better.
So what I am looking for is a DAC that will work well as a headphone amplifier, as well as a DAC pass-through to my Sansui 9090db for my speakers.

For headphones I am using a pair of Hifiman Sundaras, and plan on getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 600 or 650s in the future.
For IEM's I am using Moondrop Aria's, as well as 7hz Salnotes Diokos

Since I am not too pleased with the Sansui's Headphone output sound, I am currently using a FiiO BTR-5, either Bluetooth or connected directly to my PC.
This works quite well for the IEMs that need less power, but even running them in balanced, I feel the Sundara's would prefer a better Headphone Amp.

So my main question is:
What is a good, high quality DAC and Headphone Amplifier that can also work well as a DAC for my large speaker setup.

Current products I am looking at are:

Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M - $549.00​

HIFIMAN EF400 Desktop Balanced Headphone DAC & Amplifier - $529.00​

FiiO K7 Full Balanced HiFi DAC Headphone Amplifier - $199.99​

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I have been in the Audiophile world for a while now but I have only very basic knowledge on DACs.
Thanks in advance for any and all help!

- Griffin

JSmith

Master Contributor
Hello and welcome to ASR. :)

You may want to have a closer look at the review index;
A few suggestions;

JSmith

OP
G

Griffanio

Thanks for the recommendations as well as linking the review index!
I am not familiar with Sabaj products but the reviews for the A10d and A20d are phenomenal.
I'll be doing some more research into those I think.
I really appreciate the advice.

- Griffin

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I have the Sabaj A10d 2022 version and am extremely happy with it.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sabaj makes good stuff, I have the A20h amp and had a couple of the original A20d DACs and really like them. They're a sister company of SMSL which is why many of the cases and remotes look familiar. Prices are lower usually, they just haven't done a marketing blitz.

OP
G

Griffanio

I appreciate all the help everyone!
I think I'll be going with the Sabaj A20d.
Also going to just pull the trigger and get myself a pair of Sennheiser HD 650's.
I've been wanting a pair for a while and now is as good of a time as any!
Thanks for the advice!

OP
G

Griffanio

All set!
The Sabaj A20d makes my speakers sound MUCH better than the EVGA Nu Audio card I've been using for years now.
I realized the EVGA card really dampens the low end, bass was almost non-existent. Now my speakers are crystal clear and booming again :D
And the HD-650's are quite good. Compared to my Hifiman Sundaras they have much more detail in the mids and very clear but not overdone low end, just in my opinion. A little EQ and they are sounding incredible! (Crinacles HD 650 EQ measured with the GRAS43 is my favorite sound so far. Orotarty1990s EQ sounds almost identical too). Both are wonderful headphones with different strengths.
Very happy with the new equipment!

Attachments

• 20230222_172019[1].jpg
    20230222_172019[1].jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 81

gitesh

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking on this site for a while but finally made an account to ask some questions.
So currently, I am trying to find the best solution for a DAC to be used as a Headphone amplifier, as well as for connecting to my speaker Amplifier powering a set of Bowers and Wilkins 703's.

The Sansui 9090db has a headphone jack, but I am not to keen on the sound of it. I was running a Vincent SV-500 Amplifier prior and the headphone jack on that sounded much better.
So what I am looking for is a DAC that will work well as a headphone amplifier, as well as a DAC pass-through to my Sansui 9090db for my speakers.

For headphones I am using a pair of Hifiman Sundaras, and plan on getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 600 or 650s in the future.

Since I am not too pleased with the Sansui's Headphone output sound, I am currently using a FiiO BTR-5, either Bluetooth or connected directly to my PC.
This works quite well for the IEMs that need less power, but even running them in balanced, I feel the Sundara's would prefer a better Headphone Amp.

So my main question is:
What is a good, high quality DAC and Headphone Amplifier that can also work well as a DAC for my large speaker setup.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I have been in the Audiophile world for a while now but I have only very basic knowledge on DACs.

- Griffin

Hello everyone!

So my main question is:

- Griffin
Hello . I have been researching on options to control brightness of b & w 706 s2.. I mainly listen to streaming music Amazon Music with iPad directly connected to my Harman kardon 3380 and paired with b & w 706 s2 speakers . Did u try out the hifiman ef 400 DAc in ur system . Someone suggested it has a warm sound .

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello . I have been researching on options to control brightness of b & w 706 s2.. I mainly listen to streaming music Amazon Music with iPad directly connected to my Harman kardon 3380 and paired with b & w 706 s2 speakers . Did u try out the hifiman ef 400 DAc in ur system . Someone suggested it has a warm sound .
DACs do not have a sound. Using a DAC to change the sound is not reality. If you want to change the sound use EQ/PEQ.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Someone suggested it has a warm sound .
Well that is certainly not worth acting upon.
I have been researching on options to control brightness of b & w 706 s2
Um, you need to use EQ as best as possible... or even consider some different speakers.

If it's anything like the 607, very bright and rather messy FR;

JSmith

Top Bottom