• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New To Forum - Advice Please

Jimi1983

Hello

I’m a newbie here, and this site has an amazing wealth of insights. I am just getting back into stereo systems and am looking to upgrade a 25 year old audio system. I am not well informed about more modern systems.

I’m interested in creating a high quality streaming audio stereo system that will predominantly (95%) be used for music listening, but that will also be connected to a smart TV for basic 2-channel home theater. Listening will be in a large great room about 20’ x 60’. The system will serve a pair of indoor passive speakers and a pair of outdoor passive speakers. I’d like to have the flexibility to be able to: 1) play only indoor or only outdoor speakers at one time; or 2) play both sets of speakers with the same music simultaneously; or 3) play both sets of speakers with different music simultaneously (this is the least important of the three). Currently for streaming I use Amazon Prim Music, but may consider other systems at some. Point. I’d also like to be able to connect a CD/DVD/Blue Ray player to the amp, as well as a USB storage device with ripped CDs from my collection. I’d also like it be able to use headphones, at least wireless, but wired would also be nice (but absence of that ability would not be a deal breaker). Perhaps I’m wrong, but so far it seems I may need two integrated streaming amps to power my inside and outside passive speakers (home is already pre wired and I’m avoiding wireless speakers to help with better connection).

My total budget is probably around </= $6,000 total. I’d like to spend less, but might be willing to spend more if needed to achieve a high quality audio system with the flexibility I’m seeking. I mostly listen to classic rock, modern and traditional jazz, modern blues, acoustic guitar, and new age. I would appreciate input and advice about building a new system. I’ve done some research and at present am considering the following components for the system, but am willing to consider others.
  1. Streaming Capable Integrated Amp: A) For Indoors: NAD C700, NAD M10v2, Naim Uniti Atom; B) For Outdoors: NAD PowerNode Version 3
  2. Speakers A) Indoors: KLH Model 5; B) Outdoors: Uncertain, but they need to be able to withstand Florida heat and humidity. Maybe PSB CS1000 or Martin Logan ML75AW.
I’m unsure whether I really need to go beyond the C700 for my streaming amp purposes, especially given how much more the other two cost. Thoughts?

Thanks!

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Welcome to ASR.

Just throwing this idea out there for you: why not an AVR? Take, for example, the Denon X3700H. Functionally it seems to meet a lot of your requirements:
  • Like a lot of AVRs at this tier it has a Zone 2 output capability. Per the manual you should be able to set playback for all 3 of your scenarios.
    • "Main Zone" (indoor) or "Zone 2" (outdoor) only.
    • "Main Zone" + "Zone 2" from the same source.
    • "Main Zone" from one source and "Zone 2" from a different source.
You can operate this unit to enjoy video and audio in a room (ZONE2) that is different from the room where this unit is placed (MAIN ZONE).

You can simultaneously play back the same source in both the MAIN ZONE and ZONE2. You can also play back separate sources in the MAIN ZONE and ZONE2.
  • You can stream natively from a number of sources; I think Amazon Music HD is one of them but I'm not positive. But you can also stream to your mobile device and cast it to the Denon via Airplay2 or something similar.
  • You can play from USB sources.
  • You can hook up + play a CD/Blu-ray player.
  • You can listen via Bluetooth headphones or via wired headphones.
In addition you get onboard room correction (Audyssey MultEQ XT32) and the ability to add 1 or 2 subwoofers (for your indoor setup) later if you want. Plus the X3700H has pre-outs if you want to use your own external amp. (You'd have to investigate whether running the pre-outs does anything to limit the "Main Zone" / "Zone 2" functionality.)

There are a number of AVRs in this general price range with roughly the same functionality that could be worthwhile to research. (I simply picked the X3700H because Amir has measured it so you know what you're getting in terms of performance.) That approach could save you some money + simplify your setup, and having room correction will go a long way towards improving the SQ (in your indoor setup) regardless of what speakers you buy.

OP
J

Jimi1983

Thanks Rick! I’m certainly not opposed to an AVR, I’ve just been shooting in the dark after 25 years and looking at streaming capable integrated amps, not realizing that this might be an option. It has certainly bothered me that I couldn’t just use one unit to power and A/B two pairs of speakers. I also wouldn’t mind having more than the most basic 2-channel “home theater“. I’ll certainly look into it. Thanks for taking to time to respond to me!

Webninja

Forum Donor
That is a very large room. How far are you from the speakers / TV?

For indoor, I’d plan on 2 subs minimum and check reviews for speakers. KEF and Revel often measure at the top for passive speakers.

I wouldn’t spend a lot on outdoor. Amir reviewed some JBLs that are very inexpensive if you can find them in stock.

I like the AVR idea as that will give you $4500ish for speakers and subs.

Top Bottom