• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New to audio set-up using external components together with desktop PC.

B4NOW

Hello,
Thanks for allowing me to join the community here at ASR. A few questions I would like to try to find experienced answers to. I have the SMSL SP200 AAA THX 888 and I was wandering if I will get an audible volume difference between using it balanced or unbalanced ? Do I need a balanced DAC to run it balanced ? Last but not least does an external DAC with it's on DC power plug ,separate to a usb powered from PC DAC , differ in "clean" audio ?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Nice amp you got.

As for your questions:
I have the SMSL SP200 AAA THX 888 and I was wandering if I will get an audible volume difference between using it balanced or unbalanced?
No.
Do I need a balanced DAC to run it balanced?
Yes.
Last but not least does an external DAC with it's on DC power plug, separate to a usb powered from PC DAC , differ in "clean" audio ?
Generally, USB-powered DACs will have difficulty in supplying sufficient voltage. Noise as such usually isn't a concern in either case and is mostly to do with build quality.

OP
B

B4NOW

Nice amp you got.

As for your questions:

No.

Yes.

Generally, USB-powered DACs will have difficulty in supplying sufficient voltage. Noise as such usually isn't a concern in either case and is mostly to do with build quality.

So the volume between balanced and unbalanced will be the same in my cans ? That is good news. Volume is the main reason for this external audio set-up to my on-board , so volume I can reach is important. I will look for a decent external DAC with it's own DC power supply , separate to the USB from DAC . If I have it right , sounds like this would be preferred , correct ? Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
So the volume between balanced and unbalanced will be the same in my cans ? That is good news. Volume is the main reason for this external audio set-up to my on-board , so volume I can reach is important. I will look for a decent external DAC with it's own DC power supply , separate to the USB from DAC . If I have it right , sounds like this would be preferred , correct ? Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.
Sorry, I didn't understand that you were referring only to volume. Balanced XLR outputs will generally provide 6dB greater output than unbalanced ones due to doubling of voltage. But the actual volume control will be achieved by your headphone amplifier. The DAC will feed a certain voltage to the amp, and as long as that voltage is sufficiently high, you will have no issues with having enough volume. Does that make sense?

And yes, a good DAC with a separate DC or AC (doesn't matter) power supply is preferred. I'm not sure if you're asking about the connection type as well, but USB is preferred since it ensures bit-perfect transmission.

Top Bottom