• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New to audio...looking for a push in the right direction (regarding my setup)

OP
M

mxw031

You would take a toslink cable that has one side with the mini tos tip or an adapter:
View attachment 270548

Plug the skinny end into the same hole you'd plug your analog cable into.

View attachment 270550

Then plug the fat end into one of these inputs on your receiver.

View attachment 270551

And then select that input from your remote or input selector. That's it.
This is helpful and does seem simple, thank you. I guess I arrive back at my previous issue trying to determine if streaming through my CCA is better than plugging my laptop into it.

When streaming through my CCA I was not able to find a parametric EQ that worked while streaming to it either from my phone or computer. So I switched to my laptop in order to be able to apply a system wide parametric EQ app (which significantly improved my sound).

Would using this same cable improve quality if I use it with my laptop, or perhaps it does not have the "optical" capability? It is a 2010 macbook pro someone gave to me, so until I can get a better laptop it is my best option.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
When streaming through my CCA I was not able to find a parametric EQ that worked while streaming to it either from my phone or computer. So I switched to my laptop in order to be able to apply a system wide parametric EQ app (which significantly improved my sound).

Would using this same cable improve quality if I use it with my laptop, or perhaps it does not have the "optical" capability? It is a 2010 macbook pro someone gave to me, so until I can get a better laptop it is my best option.

If you happen to use Roon, it has great PEQ flexibility and is what I use with my CCA's (it also offers gapless streaming, which some of the chromecast apps don't). If you don't, I know there are several phone apps that include PEQ and chromecast ability, but have not had to figure any of that out. Someone might chime in or a quick search might give a starting point there.

I believe most of the older macbooks had the combo analog/optical output, but I don't know about yours. If you find any documentation that might help, or you could just plug in a toslink cable and see if it works. Either it will work or it won't. Once connected to the laptop and the receiver, it should show up as an option for your laptop audio output.

sonder

it has great PEQ flexibility and is what I use with my CCA's

Snap, I was considering lots of different upgrades, in the end roon (and qobuz) made a noticeable difference, followed by new amp+dac combo, CCA's by optical in to amp, either way roon itself made quite a difference. Speaker position tweaks, then PEQ on roon to warm things up a touch in the 100-700-ish range.

Tried lots of different setups, this one "just works" v well roon+cca + whatever audio devices you have.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Tried lots of different setups, this one "just works" v well roon+cca + whatever audio devices you have.

Being the fundamentally lazy bastard that I am, I like being able to just know stuff will work, and with Roon it just works. I bought the lifetime subscription back before the price went up the first time, so it's fully paid for now and I have it on for hours every day. I have the core loaded on my NAS, and it's just a slick piece of software.

As you say, you can plug a CCA into most anything, and suddenly you've got a streaming, sync'able endpoint. I picked up a bunch of them when they were trying to get rid of them at 2/$30. I hope they continue to support them as they are hard to beat for what they do.

OP
M

mxw031

If you happen to use Roon, it has great PEQ flexibility and is what I use with my CCA's (it also offers gapless streaming, which some of the chromecast apps don't). If you don't, I know there are several phone apps that include PEQ and chromecast ability, but have not had to figure any of that out. Someone might chime in or a quick search might give a starting point there.

I believe most of the older macbooks had the combo analog/optical output, but I don't know about yours. If you find any documentation that might help, or you could just plug in a toslink cable and see if it works. Either it will work or it won't. Once connected to the laptop and the receiver, it should show up as an option for your laptop audio output.
Had not heard of Roon. After reading about it not sure if it is overkill or not for my situation but it does sound useful. I ordered an optical cable so will try that out. Also ordered an RSL speedwoofer recently so should get that in a couple of weeks and can begin learning about integrating it. Weak spot I think is my receiver but the one I have will have to do for now. Thanks for your help so far.

sonder

not sure if it is overkill or not for my situation but it does sound useful
From experience, it's more of a convenience to be honest. The stepping stone is likely migrating from spotify, I'd estimate it takes about 2-3 minutes to get setup, just like any app. Download, use free trial, conenct to qobuz/tidal (free trials available too), pick a song and cast. Desktop application is great, on mobile you've got roon remote which is basically control the desktop via a normal spotify style app, and when you're out the house roon arc, which is the same but gives you remote access to not just tidal/qobuz as normal but also you're own music on disks.

The whole thing sounds way more complicated than it is in actuality, the sound quality is always best possible, and honestly the interface and music discovery is next level good. First week of having roon I racked up 80 hours of listening time and half of that was new songs/artists I just loved.

Top Bottom