• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Titles Released On Both LP and Digital.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Playing duration. Not all LP releases are on multiple discs. Does this mean fewer tracks on the LP(vs CD), lower dynamic range to fit more tracks on the vinyl or the CD short-changing in playing time(content)?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Playing duration. Not all LP releases are on multiple discs. Does this mean fewer tracks on the LP(vs CD), lower dynamic range to fit more tracks on the vinyl or the CD short-changing in playing time(content)?
If we can use history as a guide, they'll probably short change the CD in some manner like less tracks.
We've seen this trend in dynamic range where the LP releases measure a higher DR than the CD, when with the given technology the practice should be the exact opposite?

Analog Scott

Depends on the actual release.

Analog Scott

If we can use history as a guide, they'll probably short change the CD in some manner like less tracks.
We've seen this trend in dynamic range where the LP releases measure a higher DR than the CD, when with the given technology the practice should be the exact opposite?
Why use history as a guide? Most new releases that come in both formats usually give you all the info up front.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

I have Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories" in both 24/96 vinyl rip and "studio masters" 24/88 from USB.

The vinyl rip scores a bit higher on the DR scale, but the bass is notably rolled off compared to the digital.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Why use history as a guide? Most new releases that come in both formats usually give you all the info up front.
Because without a crystal ball, history is all we can make definitive conclusions about.
BTW, who's giving you any information on the releases DR? Only sources I know of offhand for that info is "after the fact, IE History" the Dynamic Range Database, a user info database built by the consumers after the fact.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
One of my
One of my favorite examples is Jackson Browne's Running On Empty. The comparison between the 1977 vinyl release and the 2005 HDTracks 24/96 FLAC download.
A vinyl DR of 14, and a High Definition file of DR 8, kind of pains my sphincter to remember how much I paid HDTracks for that POS download. :eek:
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Jackson+Browne&album=Running+On+Empty

Analog Scott

Because without a crystal ball, history is all we can make definitive conclusions about.
BTW, who's giving you any information on the releases DR? Only sources I know of offhand for that info is "after the fact, IE History" the Dynamic Range Database, a user info database built by the consumers after the fact.
research works much better than crystal balls. Actually asking the people who produce these LPs and CDs is amazingly effective. I am not so worried about measured DR. Just about everyone I ask will tell me what source material was used and what sort of processing went into mastering. Some mastering engineers like to keep a few specific things proprietary but will generally give me plenty of info. It's really easy to ask if there was compression added or limiting or EQ.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
So, if a new title is released on vinyl then other format releases will echo that restricted playing time? :confused:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
research works much better than crystal balls. Actually asking the people who produce these LPs and CDs is amazingly effective. I am not so worried about measured DR. Just about everyone I ask will tell me what source material was used and what sort of processing went into mastering. Some mastering engineers like to keep a few specific things proprietary but will generally give me plenty of info. It's really easy to ask if there was compression added or limiting or EQ.
LOL, Glad you have the luxury of the "inside scoop", few of us can just call up the engineer and ask questions on his production.
In the end they can say a lot, but the proof is in the pudding, with measurements and critical listening being the rest of, and truth of, the story.

Analog Scott

LOL, Glad you have the luxury of the "inside scoop", few of us can just call up the engineer and ask questions on his production.
In the end they can say a lot, but the proof is in the pudding, with measurements and critical listening being the rest of, and truth of, the story.
It's not a luxury. Email works wonders. Try it some time. Oh and yeah, I also do like to do listening comparisons. You are right, that is what matters.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Oh and yeah, I also do like to do listening comparisons. You are right, that is what matters.
I hope your doing them under controlled blind listening conditions. Without that your impressions are without value, just a unsupportable guess.

Analog Scott

I hope your doing them under controlled blind listening conditions. Without that your impressions are without value, just a unsupportable guess.
Some times I do them blind sometimes not. I listen for pleasure. I'm not doing scientific research. My impressions have all the value they need for my purposes, enjoying music.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Some times I do them blind sometimes not. I listen for pleasure. I'm not doing scientific research. My impressions have all the value they need for my purposes, enjoying music.
I see, so you have no real interest in the truth.
That's fine, just enjoy yourself, I don't mind.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Analog Scott

Now your catching on :cool:

As to the "get over yourself", better take a good look in the mirror. I can't tell you how impressed I've been at your constant expression of your superior intellect here. (NOT).
I'm crushed, you aren't impressed with me. How will I live another day?

Top Bottom