• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Tidal Pricing

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I got an email from Tidal that Tidal is upgrading my account to Hifi Plus with the same price as before, and I was euphoric with joy, but the joy was short-lived, as I soon found out that it is not an upgrade just a change of the name from hifi to a fancier name hifi plus.
Same here. I got the email this morning and had a laugh when it was presented as an 'upgrade' but it is exactly what we already have.

Eneko

I feel quite happy about being able to pay 50% less for the same audible product and keep Roon integration (I was starting to consider switching to Apple Music…)

Reactions: GDK

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One good result is one step down from premium does not include MQA files.

Zensō

Major Contributor
On the artist side there is also this new policy which is a plus (received this note from my distributor today):

1994A627-30C9-4DCB-B739-D03257C73199.jpeg

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Its neat seeing Tidal trying to branch out but there's one problem. If you have a non-mqa plan, your still gonna be feed MQA files. Tidal isn't gonna go offer 2 different kind of flacs. Why double the size of your music service's library when most people couldn't tell the different between a MP3 & a FLAC. You could move to another service like Qobuz that offers flac's up to 192khz 24bit but there's a catch. Most FLACs on these streaming services come from bad CDs & other sources. CDs and higher (Yes even the 192khz 24bit files) suffer from the loudness wars and even been mastered with generational masters. That's why I don't really care about streaming services that offer FLACs. Am I against the idea of people wanting FLACs? No I'm not. I just want actual good flacs, ones that come from first release CDs (bare minimum) and even well mastered that come from good companies like MFSL.

When I see FLACs on these streaming services I think of this:
hqdefault.jpg

Cheap terrible mastered loudness wars fueled CDs. That's what your money gets folks.

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't want to unfold them anyhow. 13 bits should be enough for anyone don't ya think???? ;)
I'm going with that tier too and pretending I never read anything ever about these pseudo lossless 13 real bit files. The computer says 16/44.1 and that must be right, right?
:(

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Seems the free tier does not work with Roon.

Sticking with Qobuz for now then.
It looks like Tidal Free does not allow you to cast to anything, so I can't even send the stream from my phone/tablet to my Chromecast.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's 1 louder than vinyl can manage, so it must be great. I'll be interested if I notice a difference.
It is also only one less than the original Philips proposal which is 14 bit digital. Sony had to really dig in to get us 16 bit. That is why the early Philips players had oversampling 14 bit converters. They had committed to 14 bit chips already.

MalinYamato

On the artist side there is also this new policy which is a plus (received this note from my distributor today):

View attachment 166231
Do I need to become an artist? Where do I start? Okay, first I need to buy music gear then learn to play an instrument and then compose a song and then convince a studio to work on it and persuade the studio to persuade Tidal to buy my song and then to find lots of people who want to listen to my crap. Then I may benefit from Tidal plus fully. Great, I have a plan for getting this great deal from Tidal which I may get, perhaps, or perhaps not!

Zensō

Major Contributor
Do I need to become an artist? Where do I start? Okay, first I need to buy music gear then learn to play an instrument and then compose a song and then convince a studio to work on it and persuade the studio to persuade Tidal to buy my song and then to find lots of people who want to listen to my crap. Then I may benefit from Tidal plus fully. Great, I have a plan for getting this great deal from Tidal which I may get, perhaps, or perhaps not!
Or perhaps you could consider better supporting the artists who make the music you enjoy. Oh, that might be too altruistic though. :rolleyes:

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I signed up for one month free and the 2nd month for just $2 for the HiFi tier. Fun for 2 months for just $2 while I continue to wait and see what the hell Spotify is going to do. I don't envy them, last to market decisions are usually pretty terrible, they let everyone else set the price point.

So far my only gripe with Tidal is that based on what I've been listening to in the last 5 days, the algorithm for recommendations does not seem very peppy. I'm still getting shown, uh, things I would NOT listen to. Probably just needs more data to get accurate? Spotify's recommendations are pretty good, not 100% but pretty good. (I'm usually deciding myself what is new that I want to listen to, but it's a nice adjunct.)

MalinYamato

I signed up for one month free and the 2nd month for just $2 for the HiFi tier. Fun for 2 months for just $2 while I continue to wait and see what the hell Spotify is going to do. I don't envy them, last to market decisions are usually pretty terrible, they let everyone else set the price point.

So far my only gripe with Tidal is that based on what I've been listening to in the last 5 days, the algorithm for recommendations does not seem very peppy. I'm still getting shown, uh, things I would NOT listen to. Probably just needs more data to get accurate? Spotify's recommendations are pretty good, not 100% but pretty good. (I'm usually deciding myself what is new that I want to listen to, but it's a nice adjunct.)
this Spotify, what is the problem with this company not getting into the high res bandwagon as everyone else?

Moderate Dionysianism

The payouts scheme change is enough to call it an upgrade imho. It's depressing to see people comfy with shelling out thousands for (often redundant) gear while expecting the music to be free. Reminds me of all those 1 star app reviews given because you have to pay $4.99.

It's easy to forget there are talented, hardworking individuals at the other end of the conveyor belt feeding us the 'content'.

Ofc 10% of a user's monthly fee is not nearly enough, but at least a step in the right direction.

MalinYamato

The price-performance ratio of Tidal is bad as a huge portion of Tidal music is pretty crappy, cheaply made crap; that I have to pay for to feed an army of those bad less talented who produce noise not different from each other. Wish they could split Tidal in half for us serious musical and audio lovers with good quality music so that we only pay half of what we pay today. We probably need an alternative to Tidal. Which one?

Last edited:
Top Bottom