• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New TEAC power amp based on Hypex Ncore.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Nothing to get overly excited about, especially its rated specifications. Looks like a whole lot of unecessary front end circuitry and off the shelf Hypex modules in a nice case with meters. Thing is, it's another product where the extruded heatsink design is just for show- a pity, they could have strapped it on to the side panels and made a really bulletproof implementation.

1621406789004.png

Should sell like hot-cakes to a certain crowd.

Not much going on with twisted speaker cables or PSU primary feeds.
1621406560016.png
1621406718878.png

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
95W power consumption sounds like a miracle to me.

OP
U

Urib

I trust they use the premium Hypex modules, and it is beautifully laid out. I will get one if priced right.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
95W power consumption sounds like a miracle to me.

I was waiting for someone to mention that. Clearly those Hypex modules generate their own power.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I trust they use the premium Hypex modules, and it is beautifully laid out. I will get one if priced right.

Agree, gorgeous implementation, would like to see it reviewed.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Egads, are they using the same wire colors for the speaker outputs and AC mains? Nice. And also some idiot mistakenly bolted the Ncore modules to the bottom of the chassis instead of to the heatsinks on the sides. :rolleyes:

JSmith

Master Contributor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Perhaps the way-excessive input buffing stage justifies the cost?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These look like 2 Hypex NCore NC250MP mono modules. They chose these instead of the popular NC252MP for extra channel separation (even though a regular NC252MP has about 100 dB separation between channels through most of the band see here).

Though they say there is some special sauce there ("were tuned and designed specifically for TEAC"). Maybe they asked for different caps on the output stage beside the small transformer for some subjective preference?

6_nc250mp.jpg

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

How come the layout is beautiful? Speaker cables are untwisted running right on top of unshielded transformers. Line level signal is passed through flat cables over the black and white AC mains cables. Both are probably getting some "hummmm" interference.

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Even as somebody with zero electronics experience I notice the untwisted cables running to the speaker outputs. Every single Hypex implementation manual says to twist them. Apart from that its just standard MP(?) modules. I can guarantee you that Audiophonics amplifiers will measure better because they follow Hypex' instructions. If you want one with a nice design there are plenty of alternatives that are done properly.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hahahaha.
Maybe they chose these instead of the popular NC252MP for extra channel separation?
Yep, definitely NC250MPs in there. So nothing "premium" worth mentioning. The rest is useless buzzwords such as toroidal transformers, discrete components and blablabla. In order to make the class D sound warmer, probably.:facepalm:

No price, but I would guess this to be around 3K€. Nothing to rave about, if I happen to be right.

Nice casing and VU meters, tho.

Last edited:

RigorDude

Nothing to get overly excited about, especially its rated specifications. Looks like a whole lot of unecessary front end circuitry and off the shelf Hypex modules in a nice case with meters. Thing is, it's another product where the extruded heatsink design is just for show- a pity, they could have strapped it on to the side panels and made a really bulletproof implementation.

View attachment 130621

Should sell like hot-cakes to a certain crowd.

Not much going on with twisted speaker cables or PSU primary feeds.
View attachment 130619View attachment 130620

What Hypex (or other class D module) amps would you vouch for?

Top Bottom