• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New TAD CE1TX

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
They look pretty cool
Price is $32K
Screenshot_20230607_015225_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230607_015320_Chrome.jpg

dfuller

Major Contributor
Another megabuck passive speaker. Snore.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I'm guessing the 8361 would sound at least as good and would cost much less
Almost certainly better, and don't need an amp, plus have enough DSP horsepower on board to help with any room weirdness.

Is that for the Penthouse Condo? Great price someone should jump on that. :cool::p
Solid reference.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it just me, or is their positioning slightly sub-optimal?
Yeah indeed, these lifestyle pics without any cabling and outrageously stupid positioning always entertain me. :) It also works like that in real life - I have a friend that bought B&W Nautilus and squished them into room corners, and they sounded like garbage... the struggle is real... :)

jonfitch

I don't get the value proposition for 32k. TAD's Compact Reference 1 monitor is $37k (aka Fang Bian's personal speakers lol) and has a beryllium tweeter and midrange (arguably overpriced anyway because of the Paradigm Personas, if they didn't have weird FR anomalies).

Who would pay 5k less for something that uses magnesium drivers from the lower Evolution line, especially when the ME1 is less than half the price of this?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Stereophile has already reviewed and measured it, not bad at all, even more for "high end", but on the other side as said the price...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Stereophile has already reviewed and measured it, not bad at all, even more for "high end", but on the other side as said the price...

What's rather strange is @John Atkinson states figure 1 is a measurement taken with a DATs (Dayton Audio Test System) V2 unit and yet the plot shows the familiar AP (audio Precision) style graph and watermark...

1686115175908.png

A DATs V3 produces this type of impedance plot:

1686115079497.png

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I don't get the value proposition for 32k. TAD's Compact Reference 1 monitor is $37k (aka Fang Bian's personal speakers lol) and has a beryllium tweeter and midrange (arguably overpriced anyway because of the Paradigm Personas, if they didn't have weird FR anomalies).

Who would pay 5k less for something that uses magnesium drivers from the lower Evolution line, especially when the ME1 is less than half the price of this?
It says $87K
Screenshot_20230607_084038_Chrome.jpg

Waxx

Major Contributor
Tad are good speakers, but with at least one 0 to much in the price, that is nothing new. But at least the sound is quiet good, contrary to most others in that price bracket.

But give me some big JBL or Neumann, or single driver fullrange speakers (that i make myself for a few hundreds) over this speaker anyday. It's just a fancy looking bling piece with a expensive name, and with a good sound as extra...

John Atkinson

Industry Insider
Reviewer
What's rather strange is @John Atkinson states figure 1 is a measurement taken with a DATs (Dayton Audio Test System) V2 unit and yet the plot shows the familiar AP (audio Precision) style graph and watermark...

View attachment 290714

A DATs V3 produces this type of impedance plot:

View attachment 290713

For consistency in how I have presented loudspeaker impedance graphs over the past 3 decades I meaure with DATS but plot the data with the Audio Precision System One app.

John Atkinson
Technical Editor, Stereophile

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
For consistency in how I have presented loudspeaker impedance graphs over the past 3 decades I meaure with DATS but plot the data with the Audio Precision System One app.

I figured that's what you were doing, pulling the exported data file from the DATs hardware, and using the AP software to plot the data. Maybe consider removing the "AP" logo going forward, in the interests of transparency.

PGAMiami

Anthony LoFi

Hey Pearl,
You have forgotten the extra expense of getting an acoustician ( you know, a person who uses software and mics to modify the audio input to take account of room abnormalities) to finish off the install.
Because anyone who spends this sort of $ wants audio perfection.

PS I think the promo photos where taken before they where insalled by the acoustician!

Top Bottom