• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New System: Dynaudio Contour 20 + Devialet Expert + Roon

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Got my new speakers last weekend, Dynaudio Contour 20, which gave me a reason to stop playing with my office rig (RME ADI-2 Pro + Dynaudio Lyd 5 + Roon) and finally set up the living room system.

Here is a vid of the Contour 20 being broken in with some Daft Punk (visual purposes only, mic was just iphone mic at close range):

And here is more of the same in slow motion:

As part of this new system, I've massively reduced complexity, shed excess components and interconnects, and enthusiastically embraced software defined audio.

The whole living room system consists of:

Speakers: Dynaudio Contour 20
Speaker Cable: Canare 4S11
Electronics (dual-mono, amp, DAC/ADC, preamp, phono, EQ): Devialet Expert 400
Digital Cable (connecting the 2 units of the Devialet): Belden 1505F Coaxial Digital Audio Cable
Ethernet Cable: Belden bonded pair Cat 6
Mesh Network: Linksys Velops

That's it for the digital side of the house.

In the photo you can also see a turntable under construction (Michell Gyro SE). When it's all done being built, it will feed directly into the Devialet, no phono stage necessary, where it undergoes ADC, with DSP RIAA curve, and software definable dynamic loading variable on the fly at play time.

IMG_2056.JPG

What's particularly cool about this setup is the integration between Roon and the Devailet, which is bi-directionally integrated. For example, chhanging the volume on the Devialet remote changes it in Roon, and vice versa.

You can also choose where you want to do your DSP:
Devialet: SAM (speaker bass phase EQ), RAM (DSP phono on the fly), basic PEQ / tone control, digital crossovers
Roon: full convolution

You can even directly stream DSD over Ethernet without having to use a separate DAC, renderer, or PC

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 15.01.03.png

Things I might do next (after break in):

1. Disconnect the passive crossover in the Contour 20 and use the Devialet crossover capabilities to go full active with DSP crossover

2. Add some IsoAcoustics Gaia III feet to the Dynaudio stands (spikes on tile on suspended floor isn't great combo)

3. Add a sub (although not sure I really need it)

Comments and questions are welcome.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Added new Gaia II feet to the bottom of the Stand 6 today. These things are pretty beefy, really well made, and the concave nature of the foot leads to a suction cup like effect on our tile floor.

IMG_2070.JPG
IMG_2071.JPG

yodog

Do you still like these speakers? How are they holding up?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Do you still like these speakers? How are they holding up?

Yes, they're great. I now have them paired with 2 x Martin Logan Dynamo subs.

"Stereophile Class A", FWIW.

As for holding up, just fine. Fit and finish just as good as when I got them. I get lots of compliments from visitors.

If I stick with the 2 monitors + 2 subs topology, there isn't much of an upgrade path from here. Maybe the Confidence 20 or the TAD Micro Evolution, but those are both $15k+.

So pretty end-game.

Last edited:

yodog

That's great to hear. My set in gloss black gets delivered to my doorstep tomorrow. I have the Dynaudio Stand 20's and the Contour 20 top plate waiting for them.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That's great to hear. My set in gloss black gets delivered to my doorstep tomorrow. I have the Dynaudio Stand 20's and the Contour 20 top plate waiting for them.

I've never seen them on the Stand 20 so curious to see pics once you get it set up.

Top Bottom