• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Switch - Any suggestions

TRDK

My current switch will soon be “End-of-Life”. There are still plenty of time left.

But, I have started the search for a new one:
  • Minimum 2 x 1G SFP Uplink
  • Minimum 6-8 x RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet
  • Unmanaged
  • Aluminium or metal case (no plastic)
  • Fanless/Quiet
I am looking for high quality - but no audiophile switch.

Suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks

Torben

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not an expert, but SFP is more of an "enterprise" feature, and this usually means you are looking at Managed or "Smart" (Managed 'Light') products. A quick search turned up this TP-Link product selling at a pretty modest price:

https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-tl-sg2210p-8-x-rj45-2-x-sfp/p/N82E16833704525?

Appears to support Quality of Service (QoS), which ought to be useful for minimizing lags and glitches with streaming media. But you will need to configure the switch to determine which ports have priority.

PoE (Power over Ethernet) is a nice bonus: When equipped with the appropriate "hat", you can power a Raspberry Pi entirely from a PoE switch.

OP
TRDK

TRDK

@JeffS7444 - THX for your suggestion.

As I don't have a good knowledge about who to config at switch, I would prefer an unmanaged. The nice thing about unmanaged: Just instal it and forget about it.

Torben

Top Bottom