• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Subwoofer installed, help analyzing REW plots

Krunok

Major Contributor
Quite similar to the current Audyssey measurement directions using 8 positions around the MLP. no further than 2' out.

The one I posted is "chair" measruement pattern from Dirac Live. Who is Audyssey? :)

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Will do "Chair" measurements later, as for now implemented REW filter (20 - 600 Hz, 8 measurements from LP) in Roon.

Subjectively sounds really good and synergy/interaction between sub and monitor speakers are more or less seamless. Would be good to have some kind of objective measurement of implemented filter, ears will do for now!

1544807353881.png

Lorenzo74

What about current subwoofer setting:

Low pass 70 Hz & Volume 50?

Increase / Decrease?

May I suggest to take the measurement of sub only up to 100Hz and then the main LF up to 200Hz and main RT up to 200Hz.
Then increase volume and check distortion.
when your main start to have above 1-5% THD (80-90Hz?? .. for a midbass) you can start to enter with sub.
filter type is very important as well as phase. Start with 24dB LR, you need to have both main and sub filtered to avoid null/peaks.
to me this part is missing in the description of your system: crossover type low pass high pass. Try to have same distance between mains (LF RT) and sub vs listening position to avoid need of delays.

secondly I would be very interested in step responce 0-10ms. Try to have no reflection peaks in that time zone below 10-15dB (ideal 20dB) from first arrival to improve clarity and soundstage.

if you post rew file I can help.
best
Lorenzo

87mpi

May I suggest to take the measurement of sub only up to 100Hz and then the main LF up to 200Hz and main RT up to 200Hz.
Then increase volume and check distortion.
when your main start to have above 1-5% THD (80-90Hz?? .. for a midbass) you can start to enter with sub.
filter type is very important as well as phase. Start with 24dB LR, you need to have both main and sub filtered to avoid null/peaks.
to me this part is missing in the description of your system: crossover type low pass high pass. Try to have same distance between mains (LF RT) and sub vs listening position to avoid need of delays.

secondly I would be very interested in step responce 0-10ms. Try to have no reflection peaks in that time zone below 10-15dB (ideal 20dB) from first arrival to improve clarity and soundstage.

if you post rew file I can help.
best
Lorenzo
HI Lorenzo, can you help me please? Antonio

Dumdum

Do you have the ability to measure each individual speaker with rew and actually show the phase in the crossover area, for me phase and timing via delays are critical for main to sub alignment, and a tape measure isn’t nescessarily correct as phase and timing sometimes needs a bit of both to get it accurate, I’d set timing and phase to a single position but use a spatial average to set the eq as what people have said is correct about the response changing due to comb filters just by moving the mic a few cm left or right

you can also check left and right speakers timing and phase alignment with each other, they should closely resemble each other out of the box if you have used a tape to put them in the right position relative to the listening position (it’s often easier to move the chair than speakers if they are spaced quite symmetrically/equally in the room if they aren’t)

Top Bottom