• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Streamer/DAC/Pre set or combo for Magnepan 2.1 setup?

joconoclast

Downstream, I've got a pair of Magnepan 1.7's driven off Red Dragon M500 mkII monoblocks, currently fed by a Peachtree Nova Pre.
To enhance bass, I also have a Powered Sunfire HRS-10 simultaneous running off the second set of Nova RCA Preouts.
This drives a requirement for dual outs (RCA+XLR would be an option, as the Red Dragons can do either).

Upstream, I've got a Sonos ZP90 (16-bit/44.1k), optical to the Nova, which I'm planning to replace with a higher resolution streamer (ideally with solid multi-room/zone support and Wife-friendly UI).
Alongside, a Parasound ttb 720 runs to a Parasound Phono stage, and then to the Nova (aux).

I know need to replace the Sonos with an actual high quality streaming source. I'm not married to any service, though it would be nice to support Apple Music, Tidal, etc. On top of that, the Nova Pre DAC is seriously outgunned.

What would you replace the ZP90 streaming source, and dac/pre with? Needs to support RCA analog input from phono, and dual (or .1 sub) outputs.

Budget isn't really a factor, but it's always nice to see good value vs getting ripped off.
As of now, I'm leaning towards a Bluesound Node for various streaming sources and multi-room sync, Coax feeding a Topping D90SE, XLR feeding Topping Pre90. The Pre90 would feed the Red Dragons via XLR, and duplicate output on RCA for the Sunfire sub.
AFAICT, it would run ~$2100 retail to upgrade streaming while also supporting RCA input and .1 sub output.

The Peachtree is very pretty though, and I wouldn't mind springing for something a bit more refined looking that the Topping. Amir's favorite Matrix Audio X Sabre Pro MQA appears like it would also work in place of the D90SE. Or maybe a Parasound P6 in place of the Pre90 and my Parasound phono stage as well, but keeping the D90SE over the P6 DAC?

I'm open to any other ideas. I get somewhat lost in the streaming dac pre's that exist.

And I don't know if anyone else here is crazy enough to do it, but I'd be curious about any out of the box ideas that include room correction without completely horking and overcomplicating everything. My space is... a bit difficult to manage. :) Maybe Anthem STR Pre to get ARC?

Last edited:
OP
J

joconoclast

A couple other variations come to mind
1) Matrix Audio X Sabre 3 + Topping P90: $3600
2) Bluesound Node + Benchmark DAC3 L: $2600

Top Bottom