• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Speakers for AudioLab 6000A - Elac DBR62 or Focal Aria 906

Overseas

Major Contributor
906 are amazing speakers, I run them with Yamaha, never found them bright.

Borea very good value, if it is about bass I can vouch for 08, 09 to deliver but some burn in period and routine is required.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Try Rotel A11 Tribute instead of Audiolab. Cheaper, better I say.

Stelath

Dynaudio make fantastic speakers you can't go wrong, for my ears both Focal and Triangle sound bright, personally i found DALI oberon 5 fairy neutral for my listening preferences so I bought a pair to match my Audiolab 6000A.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Triangle traditional brightness was fixed in recent models. Focal was never accused, as I know. Various setups can be tried.

Romario

I like a good anount of top end in speakers and the Audiolab can handle that with agility and without sounding harsh. But OP is looking for "warmer" speakers. Dynaudio is not a brand I recently listened too, so can"t comment on that. They changed from 4 to 6 ohns I read somewhere, that's more consumer friendly, so why not.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Wharfedale may sound right to him, then. Very nice speakers.

OP
T

Toinou

I think I may have used the wrong word with "bright"
The aria was really good. But it was a bit weird sometimes, for example some male vocals were à bit "pinched" or "metallic" to my taste (at least with the audiolab 6000a). It was very noticeable on cat stevens voice.
Unfortunaly, I did not like the wharferdale, it was too warm for me, not precise enough (not sûre if it's thé right word again)
And I won't change my amp, I like this one and I don't have enough budget to upgrade both speakers and amp.

The dynaudio emit ii 20 was really good to my hear. I'll maybe try a few other options because the price is a bit much for my budget (maybe a newer triangle br03 / polk r200 if I can find them for a tryout)

Overseas

Major Contributor
Best natural voice from what I heard was with QA 3050i and Triangle Australe.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I went to the store today and many learnings (all tests made with the audiolab 6000a) :
- listening in store is really an eye opener. It lets you be confident to what you're looking for, because the sound does not lie, even if you have preferences, you'll know why, without listening, it's all to the preferences of someone you don't know.
- disappointed by the denton 85
- the aria were much better in my opinion but a bit too bright for me maybe ? As my current triangle, it was precise, good but lacking something, so I don't feel it's à noticeable upgrade.
- the salesman made me listen to dynaudio emit ii 20 and I found them far better than both above. They are at 950€
- I didnt have much time so I hope I'll be able to go back and test the dynaudio evoke 20, which is 1075€ and looks far better in my opinion.

Do you know any of these 2 dynaudio speakers ? Any recommandation ?
My guess is that you went at Cobra, right ? These are pretty common references from them. In a store, you should also be careful about the sellers speech, otherwise, your listening comparaisons are somewhat biased.;)

Yes, I owned Evoke 20, which I paid 1600€ for. Excellent bookshelves, yet very power hungry. The 6000A won't be able to push them properly, IMHO. Emit II 20 are decently good, but nowhere near the Evoke. Not sure I would pay 950€ for these.
Triangle traditional brightness was fixed in recent models
Absolutely not. Exception from Borea, Esprit EZ, Esprit Anniversary and Magellan Anniversary are indeed very bright.

Last edited:
OP
T

Toinou

My guess is that you went at Cobra, right ?
Yes I did ! A true paradise for me :D
Duly noted for the pairing Audiolab/Evoke and also for the price of the Emit II 20.

I'm leaving Paris today so I'll try other HiFi stores in Lyon (maybe Borea BR03/difficult to find somewhere to test the R200 unfortunately)
I'm not in a hurry, I'll continue testing, I'll find something good at some point :)

Feel free to add to the list of speaker models worthy of listening tests (or sub to add to my Triangle as I have seen that they are not as bad as I thought when I compare them to the other models I've listened to) :)

Romario

I myself have a little too bright speaker set for the 6000a. As an in between solution I just received a wiim pro streamer which has a 10 band eq on board. So, the next few days I'm going to try to tame the ribbon tweeter haha.

OP
T

Toinou

I went to another store and tried the evoke 20 with my audiolab 6000a. It's amazing, I really loved it. It soubds like tower speakers.
The salesman is ready to leave them to me for 1900€ and buy me back my triangle comete 902 for 200€.
I did not plan to go that expensive but I feel the upgrade is really one or two steps above with this speaker.

@VintageFlanker where did you get your pair at 1600€ ? It seemps like a really good deal.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@VintageFlanker where did you get your pair at 1600€ ? It seemps like a really good deal.
Was a pretty common price after negociating... Back in 2020.

Different times, I guess...

Romario

Congratulations on your new purchase! Very cool. Not that patience, huh? Haha. Please let us know how they perform in your home environment.

OP
T

Toinou

No I didn't bought them yet. I heard them and I was stunned, but initially my budget was around 600€, this one leads me to around 2k€, I'm afraid it's too much for me. I'm taking a bit of time to think about it more clearly.
I'll let you know for sure :)
Thanks for all your advices :)

Romario

I hear ya, I would take some time too for a little reflection.
I spent some time with the wiim pro eq settings and it's a blast, but it comes with a price. More on that later.
The wiim pro is connected to the coaxial input of the A6000 ( dac sinad >100). I have two sets of speakers who couldn't differ more ( " lively" vs " laid back").
The first set with a ribbon tweeter sounds a little too bright to my taste. I looked up the measurements on line that confirmed my listening experience. And as you've figured out the A6000 does not add any frequency bump or dips, the speakers sound as exact as the measurents show. In the wiim pro i set the output to " mono" and I bumped (with real small db portions) the undertuned area between 100 and 1 khz and that gave me a more balanced frequency response, then saved the custom eq set up.
With the other set with a single point source it was the opposite. The measurents where quite linear (good) but the slope of the response was quite steep resulting in a -10 db difference from 100 hz to 10 khz. So, I pushed the trebles on this one and reduced the 125 hz setting to my liking and here too, the frequncy balance was great.
But is this the solution? No. It comes with a price as I mentioned before. The EQ settings on the wiim pro prevents the unit from playing bit perfect. Even more, it adds distortion. Thus on low spl listening it's ok. But when cranking up the volume it is noticebly a bit distorted ( let's call it less refined just like from flac to mp3 , for a comparison).
Lessons learned:
1.Thanks to this amazing ASR site I was able to understand the meaning of measurents and I now got first hand experience to grasp a little of hands on experience.
2. The Audiolab A6000 is still amazing for people who like a detailed amp. Complaints about sound should be addressed to the speaker, not the amp, I think.
3. The wiim pro is a versatile streamer and will not leave the setup any time soon.
( on 2 & 3; I had my fair share of amps and streamers through the years)

Now I feel like I'm hijacking your thread, but I thought I'd share my journey with the A6000 as well if you don't mind.

MindOfAudio

No I didn't bought them yet. I heard them and I was stunned, but initially my budget was around 600€, this one leads me to around 2k€, I'm afraid it's too much for me. I'm taking a bit of time to think about it more clearly.
I'll let you know for sure :)
Thanks for all your advices :)
I wat thinking of Aria906 myself. What about Focal Aria 926?

BossBunos

Always fun to search for new speakers! I have not owned the 906 but had the 936's. I still feel they were great value for the money. Good sound and afaik all focals are finished beautifully. Taste is personal but the finish quality is superb. I like to play quite loud and found the aria's became a bit bright when played loud.
At the moment I have the dbr62 as my desktop setup. Out of the box I was quite disappointed. It had a really boomy sound. Once I measured at my listening position I found there was a HUGE 125hz peak. Once I corrected that and some more minor modes the sound became so good... I'm truly surprised and impressed by how well this speaker performs. Tonality wise I hate to admit they come pretty close to the salon2's downstairs :).
If I were on a budget I would probably get this setup:
- elac dbr
- minidsp flex
- arendal 1961 1s subwoofer
- a purify or hypex amp

Good luck with your search, and remember that the speakers are the most important part of your set up!

Romario

The minidsp-flex alone costs more than the pair of elacs (or the Audiolab 6000a, the topic of this thread, for that matter). And there's no source connected to your set. It's a nice set though it doesn't really add up to your last statement, or you're that happy with the dbr, that's possible too.

BossBunos

The minidsp-flex alone costs more than the pair of elacs (or the Audiolab 6000a, the topic of this thread, for that matter). And there's no source connected to your set. It's a nice set though it doesn't really add up to your last statement, or you're that happy with the dbr, that's possible too.
I mean if you can stretch the budget always go for the best speakers first. You can get sota amps and dacs relatively cheap. With the flex I'm trying to state that the room is a huge part of sound quality. Imo dsp is a must. But for dsp to work well you need speakers with good directivity.

I think I would prefer above mentioned setup over a pair of salons without dsp.

Top Bottom