• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Speakers Advice

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
congrats and enjoy the much improved sound. keep in mind if you move your desk and setup in the picture i posted before, you will have even better sound. please experiment with moving your desk away from the wall and setting the speakers up on stands behind your desk 6 feet apart and pointed towards you. it'll sound much much better then just plopping them on your desk. and if you dont have actual speaker stands just make something makeshift for the time being.
... like two piles of books.:cool:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He says the truth. Even pulling the speakers a few centimeters away from the wall can change the sound a lot and give you more details, which a change of DAC would never give you.

OP
A

altamira

Ok people this is the first option. Relax this is Just a "sketch"...
IMG_20200109_131136.jpg

In this case the speakers would be around 80cm apart and the distance to the wall would be 20cm. From your words this would not be much desirable(?). What i can do is go to option 2 and acquire floor stands or some more home made supports to give more distance between speakers (they would always be place in the back of the monitor). It was mentioned 6 feet. At the moment with ease i can distance them 1,2 meters. Going upper is feasable but i will have to make more deep arrangements. Also in option 2 i can try to distance the speakers more from the wall bringing the desk upfront. It will rob me some work space but if the sound gets significantly better i can try to give it what? more 10, 20 cm? That would be a total 40cm apart from the wall. Like i said things are arrangeble to the point i still have some minimum work space :)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok people this is the first option. Relax this is Just a "sketch"...View attachment 45128

In this case the speakers would be around 80cm apart and the distance to the wall would be 20cm. From your words this would not be much desirable(?). What i can do is go to option 2 and acquire floor stands or some more home made supports to give more distance between speakers (they would always be place in the back of the monitor). It was mentioned 6 feet. At the moment with ease i can distance them 1,2 meters. Going upper is feasable but i will have to make more deep arrangements. Also in option 2 i can try to distance the speakers more from the wall bringing the desk upfront. It will rob me some work space but if the sound gets significantly better i can try to give it what? more 10, 20 cm? That would be a total 40cm apart from the wall. Like i said things are arrangeble to the point i still have some minimum work space :)
It looks fine. Just try that configuration for the moment.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is it possible for you to mount them on the wall?

OP
A

altamira

Jesus this stuff is monstruously powerful! Pearcing sound :) I have a studio in my home hahaha. I wont change speakers for the next 20 years. Forget about a subwoofer for now! None the less i believe i have some tuning/tweaking to do and learning in the middle. Not sure if Neumann network software is intuitive enough for my knowledge. There are some technical stuff im not familiar with. Regulating gains, db,... be it in the Audio interface or in the speakers. Music is beautiful on these, such clarity and definition, seems like im in the mix table :), can i use the term analytical(?) (you can feel/ear the different instruments), obviously i suppose it as to be a good source to get the best of audio. Im as a former amateur musician/music lister from the age of 10 (not in studio environment) and genetically with a fairly good/sensitive ear can say, and honestly without much to compare with other speakers, can say this is amazing, stupendous. Im trying them with different kind of music, right now, the Daft Punk Random Access Memories album :). There is a long walk...
Movies well its seems im in the theater. I have to say with all honesty and to all of you thank you.
So lets keep it going...

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Jesus this stuff is monstruously powerful! Pearcing sound :) I have a studio in my home hahaha. I wont change speakers for the next 20 years. Forget about a subwoofer for now! None the less i believe i have some tuning/tweaking to do and learning in the middle. Not sure if Neumann network software is intuitive enough for my knowledge. There are some technical stuff im not familiar with. Regulating gains, db,... be it in the Audio interface or in the speakers. Music is beautiful on these, such clarity and definition, seems like im in the mix table :), can i use the term analytical(?) (you can feel/ear the different instruments), obviously i suppose it as to be a good source to get the best of audio. Im as a former amateur musician/music lister from the age of 10 (not in studio environment) and genetically with a fairly good/sensitive ear can say, and honestly without much to compare with other speakers, can say this is amazing, stupendous. Im trying them with different kind of music, right now, the Daft Punk Random Access Memories album :). There is a long walk...
Movies well its seems im in the theater. I have to say with all honesty and to all of you thank you.
So lets keep it going...
So, are you happy with our recommendations?

OP
A

altamira

this is way more than i was expecting. For the quality i believe it was cheap :) And im very happy that the money was put in very good use. Yes im a bit conscious about spending money. I always milk it has much as possible :) I have to control the volume carefully or my ears will blow... Yes i have very sensitive ears, im very aware of sounds (no not esoterically hahaha). Well the room is not so big also. Tuning...

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
this is way more than i was expecting. For the quality i believe it was cheap :) And im very happy that the money was put in very good use. Yes im a bit conscious about spending money. I always milk it has much as possible :) I have to control the volume carefully or my ears will blow... Yes i have very sensitive ears, im very aware of sounds (no not esoterically hahaha). Well the room is not so big also. Tuning...
I advise you set the Neumann to the minimum gain, but max sound on the computer, and control volume only with the Focusrite Solo.

OP
A

altamira

thats what i have. The volume its around 10% on the focusrite :)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thats what i have. The volume its around 10% on the focusrite :)
Then you can turn it a bit lower on the computer in order to have the loudest volume you'll need at around 12 o'clock on the Focusrite. Overwise it won't be convenient.

OP
A

altamira

I would have to turn the master on the pc to 20 to be able to be confortable at 12 o clock on the focusrite hahaha. Anyway it depends on the music, dont worry these speakers are stupendous. I put them at 50 on the pc and one quarter in the focusrite. Acceptable :)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if the volume control of the Focusrite is digital or analogue, but if it is analogue, it is probably better to stay in the 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock range in order to prevent channel imbalance.
You shouldn't worry too much though, enjoy!

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Jesus this stuff is monstruously powerful! Pearcing sound :) I have a studio in my home hahaha. I wont change speakers for the next 20 years. Forget about a subwoofer for now! [..]
Music is beautiful on these, such clarity and definition, seems like im in the mix table :), can i use the term analytical(?) (you can feel/ear the different instruments), obviously i suppose it as to be a good source to get the best of audio. Im as a former amateur musician/music lister from the age of 10 (not in studio environment) and genetically with a fairly good/sensitive ear can say, and honestly without much to compare with other speakers, can say this is amazing, stupendous. Im trying them with different kind of music, right now, the Daft Punk Random Access Memories album :). There is a long walk...
So lets keep it going...
Great news. This is exactly what I hoped (and expected) to hear.:)
I'm very glad you like them.

OP
A

altamira

the bass is so precise, controled, acute, ?matematical?, clean, its beautiful. No distortion. It seems to read/adapt to different bass beats. Now i understand that for some electronic music loud bass lovers this might not be enough in terms of bass projection, its not the most powerful/intense. You can crank up the volume but it maintains a controled definition i like it very much. I would caracterize these speakers as organically rational :)

OP
A

altamira

Now lets go deeper. I have the opurtunity to change sample rate in the Focusrite software. Right now its in the 48kHz. It can go up to 192.
On the Focusrite front panel there is 48V, Air options.
About the Speakers there are different options for the Output level dB SPL. Its now in the 100.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now lets go deeper. I have the opurtunity to change sample rate in the Focusrite software. Right now its in the 48kHz. It can go up to 192.
About the Speakers there are different options for the Output level dB SPL. Its now in the 100.
I advise to stick to 44.1 kHz for music (or 48 kHz) in Windows settings which is sufficient for the whole audible range and more. The soundcard panel will auto adjust according to what you play actually. More samples will give you nothing more, though some "golden ears" say the opposite.
More details here:
https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html#toc_sratas

For bit depth you can go with 32bit or 24, though 16 is probably enough.

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
48V is for mic recording.
Air is useless IIRC.
Read the manual!
For the speakers, choose the setting which gives you the lowest volume.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you think now about the following statements in this thread:
dont buy anything too expensive for a desk setup like that, just a waste if you buy anything more than some logitech pc speakers honestly

Guys can you care to comment on this: https://www.popsonguniversity.com/are-studio-monitors-good-for-music-movies-gaming-stereo/

i know that @q3cpma already commented on the yamaha and previously there was a talk about the Adam. Im i going overkill with Genelec or Neumann if i just want some good speakers for music listening, watching movies or play a few games (PS4/PC)? Genelec or Neumann sounds good stuff but im feeling that im going for surgical instruments for precise listening, audio critical production, im afraid of getting a to flat/neutral sound for the purposes. No i dont mean i have to go logitech but something in the middle no, something that can give me a pleasurable/fairly/harmonious accurate music listening but also media entertainment? Do i make sense? And above all i apologize for the indecisiveness.

I don't recommend you buy them otherwise I'll be jealous!
I admit I'm jealous now ...:rolleyes: .. looking at you, Genelec 8020a ... but I resist the itch for now.:oops:

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm glad you like them @altamira ! I knew you would =]

I think that distance and placement is fine if you think it sounds good. Neumann speakers are designed with an equilateral triangle placement in mind, so six feet would be too much. Feel free to experiment, but if they sound good, you're good =].

As for sample rate, the Neumann KH80 converts everything to 48kHz internally. You aren't going to gain much by going higher on your Focusrite.

Top Bottom