• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Speakers Advice

OP
A

altamira

no no just the pair of speakers. No Sub for now. By the way

OP
A

altamira

funny enough the first tracks are the kind of music sometimes i like to listen. Funky beats, tight harmonics, organic beats...

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
funny enough the first tracks are the kind of music sometimes i like to listen. Funky beats, tight harmonics, organic beats...

Hah, that video was what actually inspired me to check out the iloud. I thought, it sounds pretty good even against the neumann! And I still feel that way =]

Congratulations on ordering the speakers! Yes, the neumanns aren't bass monsters but i'm pretty sure you'll be okay for most music, and they'll be fantastic when you add a sub down the road.

Willem

Major Contributor
I think the scepticism about the set up is unwarranted. I have had quality desktop speakers for a long time (first LS3/5a and now Harbeth P3ESR) and I have enjoyed them at pretty close range and left and right of the computer monitor. Lifting them from the desktop surface is necessary: bring the tweeter to ear level. Perhaps a bit of equalization is also necessary. Enjoy.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The good thing about the neumann is it has a sparkling reputation and should really last you for years. Their response are about as ideal as speakers can get within their response range. Properly integrate a subwoofer and you have a state-of-the-art nearfield setup =]

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the scepticism about the set up is unwarranted. I have had quality desktop speakers for a long time (first LS3/5a and now Harbeth P3ESR) and I have enjoyed themAt prwtyy close range and left and right of the computer monitor. Lifting them from the desktop surface is necessary: bring the tweeter to ear level. Perhaps a bit of equalization is also necessary. Enjoy.

I agree. We here on ASR are pickier than most. I used the KH80 for a long time without a sub on my desk and was quite happy with them, even though half of what I listen to is bass heavy. Yes, I could tell the sub-bass was missing, but I survived :)

OP
A

altamira

Im pretty sure if the time for getting a subwoofer arrives i will be as careful. The Neumann´s sub´s are not cheap at all :)
Whats the name of the first track of the video? I´ve grown up listen to that kind of music on my dad´s vinyl deck. I still have those. I remember it had the option to record vinyl to cassette. Yamaha or sony or Pioneer.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Im pretty sure if the time for getting a subwoofer arrives i will be as careful. The Neumann´s sub´s are not cheap at all :)
Whats the name of the first track of the video?

You don't have to get a neumann sub - any decent sub will do! I'd personally just get a used sub for cheap, as it will be out of sight and it doesn't matter if there's some wear and tear. If you buy new, a $500 SVS SB1000 has served me well.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
no no just the pair of speakers. No Sub for now. By the way

To me, that kind of comparison videos is completely useless.

Do you expect to hear how KH80 sound through your current headohones? What does that mean?

OP
A

altamira

I was just enjoying the sound, relax. It happened to be the neumann´s vs the icloud

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Do you expect to hear how KH80 sound through your current headohones? What does that mean?

While I think they're really bad for objective assessment of speakers, I do think such videos can be a bit useful for noting bass extension and the relative timbral qualities of speakers. As someone who has both of these speakers, the speakers sound 'different' in this video the same way they do IRL imo. But yeah, I wouldn't base a purchasing decision solely off of it.

musicaddict

It is not useless! I have watched many comparison videos particularly from Digital Stereophony videos and having owned many of those monitors he tested i can tell you it sounds close to the real thing. All of them sound better listening in person, and some characteristics can only be heard in person but if correctly recorded the main character of the audio is there in the videos.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
I would advise against subwoofers in this small room, but once you have the room for them, get two for a smoother sound.

OP
A

altamira

It seems they arrived :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200108_121936.jpg
    IMG_20200108_121936.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 115

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't wait to hear your first response!:)

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It seems they arrived :)
congrats and enjoy the much improved sound. keep in mind if you move your desk and setup in the picture i posted before, you will have even better sound. please experiment with moving your desk away from the wall and setting the speakers up on stands behind your desk 6 feet apart and pointed towards you. it'll sound much much better then just plopping them on your desk. and if you dont have actual speaker stands just make something makeshift for the time being.

Top Bottom