• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

new speaker company....Teddy for $1888 delivered

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
12 dB/octave crossover, odd design with a 10" woofer mid crossed over to a tweeter. Reminds me of the Large Advents.

Ericglo

Scan drivers in a floor standing box for $1900 is impressive price wise.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
12 dB/octave crossover, odd design with a 10" woofer mid crossed over to a tweeter. Reminds me of the Large Advents.
Or the AR14 -- which was (is) better sounding than it ought to be.

1618673080317.png

Even more irrelevant aside -- the original AR14 morph used a version of the venerable and long-available Peerless 1" silk dome tweeter (KO10DT).

1618673428398.png

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/...975-1978/add_series_brochures/ar-14_brochure/

As an even more irrelevant aside: I used to work in Norwood -- for a biotech company that made immunotoxins based on ricin, in a slightly clandestine facility behind as sporting goods store on "The Automile" (US Route 1)! :)

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Scan drivers in a floor standing box for $1900 is impressive price wise.

Underwood is now selling them at $1700. Found out about them while looking at the new LSA speakers on their website. A 10" + 1" crossed high (6moons review says 3400Hz) is not exactly going to win awards for Neumann levels of directivity, but an LR2 done right may just help with the blend enough to not be objectionable. Damn if I'm not tempted for the price, especially since I have moved a lot of my critical listening to headphones. My speaker listening is mostly a haptic and aesthetic experience + letting the sound wash over me. 10" midbass dynamics in a nice floorstanding enclosure appeal to me much more than it used to and I like that SS drivers (looks like SS Discovery range) are used - because Scanspeak will be around a long time. Frankly more mid-tier boutique shops should use off-the-shelf SEAS/Scan drivers and focus on a good crossover. Better that than obscure niche drivers or proprietary stuff, because driver support/replacement will outlast how long most speaker companies are willing to support speakers for, or even outlast speaker companies themselves.

I got in touch with Audio GE's owner Gediminas. It was a very pleasant interaction and I highly recommend it. Don't think I can publicly share the factory direct prices I was quoted for areas without a distributor, but suffice to say they were very very compelling even including DHL shipping. Looking VERY closely at their Scanspeak Revelator standmount right now, if not the Teddy.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A 10" + 1" crossed high
Here in Germany you can get nowadays this wide baffle 10" + 1" combo but with better/lower crossover and tweeter with a waveguide for around 1500€ pair price (sometimes even less) and quite decent measurements

Heco___Direkt___Frequenz_hor_.jpg

Source: https://www.i-fidelity.net/testberichte/high-end/heco-direkt/labor-seite-6.html

lautsprecher_stereo_heco_direkt_bild_1468316398.jpg

lautsprecher_stereo_heco_direkt_bild_1468316422.jpg

Source: https://www.hifitest.de/test/lautsprecher-stereo/heco-direkt-12446

It did also quite well in this blind binaural comparsion with some quite more expensive loudspeakers

and is finished quite nicely

Heco_Direkt_Standard_OF_SW.jpg

Heco_Direkt_Standard_OF_WE.jpg

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here in Germany you can get nowadays this wide baffle 10" + 1" combo but with better/lower crossover and tweeter with a waveguide for around 1500€ pair price (sometimes even less) and quite decent measurements

Heco___Direkt___Frequenz_hor_.jpg

Source: https://www.i-fidelity.net/testberichte/high-end/heco-direkt/labor-seite-6.html

lautsprecher_stereo_heco_direkt_bild_1468316398.jpg

lautsprecher_stereo_heco_direkt_bild_1468316422.jpg

Source: https://www.hifitest.de/test/lautsprecher-stereo/heco-direkt-12446

I have heard about it before but thought it was out of my budget. Very nice though it seems out of production and it might be difficult to find someone willing to ship a discontinued speaker to Asia. The other option is something from Tekton but their boxes look cheap.

There's also an ex-demo hOrns Mummy near me for very cheap. Low-diffraction and OS waveguide profile but sadly pretty bad measures, or I'd have gotten it. It's so frustrating to not find a decent SEOS/OS profile waveguide speaker retail. FFS design tools are open source. And in the case of SEOS the damn waveguide itself is open source.

Screenshot_2022-02-01-15-18-58-341_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Back on topic, Audio GE quoted me an incredible factory direct price for their Scanspeak Revelator speakers. If the crossovers are remotely good they are a deal on par with the likes of Philharmonic.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
These looking really cool. Good thing I do not have a use case for them. Otherwise, I might be tempted into an impulse buy. Will be interested in the eventual spins.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These looking really cool. Good thing I do not have a use case for them. Otherwise, I might be tempted into an impulse buy. Will be interested in the eventual spins.

Like a Tekton Lore... but sexy, Scanspeak and made in Europe.

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Of course, we dont know until we see measurements or hear them, but not having an LR4 that could be crossed well below 2 kHz, having the tweeter height about 2 feet off the floor and not having a waveguide when paired with a 10” woofer are interesting design choices.

The site compares them to Harbeth and say they sound warm. They must have a huge BBC dip to not make these sound bright at 2-4 kHz.

Top Bottom