• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New sound system setup

AlzalzS

I just recently bought new speakers, they’re specs are 4-8ohms @10-80 watts. My current receiver runs at 35wpc and 6-12ohms. Will I benefit if I buy an amp running 100wpc @ 4ohms? In terms of sound quality

I also have a sound card called sound blaster audigy 2 in my computer that’s been here since 2004 or something. Would I benefit from a different sound card? I understand some users on this forum would say sound blaster is trash. But for simple audio playback, not recording atm, what sound card would deliver bettter quality? I would like a card that could connect to my MacBook via usb.

I don’t have experience swapping opamps so I would appreciate something prebuilt for me.

an electrician friend recommended me a setup consisting of DAC -> preamp -> amp -> speaker

But currently I have “sound card out -> djm-400 mixer(mono)-> receiver -> speaker”

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1. maybe - it depends on the efficiency of the speakers; impedance vs. freq. for them & amp; type music; preferred SPL; size of room & tmts. in it

2. some like Khardas; mac likely has a DAC in it

3. preamp can give you control functionality; maybe match outputs to inputs; may look pretty sittin' there - or you could buy a tube pre-amp and use it as a euphonicizer

OP
A

AlzalzS

Efficiency of the speakers. I really don’t know that info, all I can say is that I have Bose model 100 and Bose model 101. I figured I will have to listen by ear as I already ordered a 125watt 4ohm amp. 125watts for 80 watt speakers, will I blow them up?if I blast them
Type music: electronics:house:electro:techno:etc.

my Mac has a DAC in it? Really? So I should just use my Mac without an external sound card?

I googled euphonicizer and can’t find Any info on it

Last edited:
OP
A

AlzalzS

Does anybody know any good receivers /amps that can run more than 2 channels at 4ohms and around 100watts/channel

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No using 125 wpc amp on 80 watt speakers won't blow them up. I mean sure you could, but aren't likely to do so. They'd start sounding horrible before you blow them up. Without all the caveats just don't worry about that aspect of it.

Are your speakers the old model Bose from like 2 decades ago or something else?

If you are wanting to do something from scratch the place that makes the biggest difference is changing speakers. If that is something you have in mind how much money can you put toward the project?

OP
A

AlzalzS

Are your speakers the old model Bose from like 2 decades ago or something else?

yes they are the old ones from the mid 90’s ,

i already have all the speakers I’ll need so I don’t need to buy that, and my reciever seems okay, gonna compare them to a new reciever with higher wpc and 4ohm /8ohm tomorrow.

OP
A

AlzalzS

Is time aligned passive crossover a real thing?

OP
A

AlzalzS

1. maybe - it depends on the efficiency of the speakers; impedance vs. freq. for them & amp; type music; preferred SPL; size of room & tmts. in it

what is a tmts?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
treatments - for the room

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
absorbers, diffusers...

OP
A

AlzalzS

So how about a stereo reciever? I currently have a AV reciever for 5.1 but I’m reading that stereo receivers are the right choice for music listening. So I was wondering if I have a 2.1 with a passive subfwoofer speaker, how that performs vs a 2.1 with a powered sub? Because I have a passive sub atm

Last edited:
Top Bottom