• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Sony ES 8K AV Receiver Line STR-AZ7000ES STR-AZ5000ES STR-AZ3000ES STR-AZ1000ES

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hmmm... I'm sure they are decent units, but even if they set a new high for SINAD measurements I wouldn't go there because the manual EQ is so limited. Relying entirely on Sony's automated system is a deal breaker for me.
Just out of curiosity, how many people change the settings manually and improve them? Was that possible prior to the Audyssey app and Dirac?

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just out of curiosity, how many people change the settings manually and improve them? Was that possible prior to the Audyssey app and Dirac?
Good question... in my experience the automated systems are rarely perfect and some even go backwards. All AVRs and processors have powerful DSPs, having manual access to the DSP via a multi band PEQ is a feature that I require.

Ideally you can overlay additional contouring on top of the correction. Some systems allow this, some others give you the automated curve OR manual but not both.

ban25

Good question... in my experience the automated systems are rarely perfect and some even go backwards. All AVRs and processors have powerful DSPs, having manual access to the DSP via a multi band PEQ is a feature that I require.

Ideally you can overlay additional contouring on top of the correction. Some systems allow this, some others give you the automated curve OR manual but not both.
Yeah the GEQ is not even really that. It's just tone controls per speaker group, as shown here (@ 6:45):

techsamurai

Why is the 5.0/5.1 assuming that the speakers are side surrounds? I'd expect them to offer a rear surround configuration. I know that Gene has explained that having the side surrounds is better but it's not an option for me. Do other new AVRs allow for just rear speakers?

In my case actually the left speaker is on the side and my right speaker is behind but it's something I had to accept due to the room architecture. It doesn't bother me as much you'd think even in video games when I turn 360 and hear my lightsaber moving around the room so in movies, it'd be impossible to even know unless you can see the speaker.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
They seem heavy with all 3 top models over 40lbs along with a small size factor chassis which is quite impressive.

Word Economic Forum: “The world produces 50 million tons of e-waste every year.”
Sony: “Hold my beer…”

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Hopefully will get a Sony STR-DN2080 after these ES models release. The Top consumer non-ES receiver was always a mixed balance of performance and features like the Sony STR-DN1080. I remember a while ago, Sony sent a survey about my 1080 but I forgot what the options were.

I think the stupidest feature is the ability to add those ****** wireless speakers/subwoofers to your receiver. I can imagine making receivers barely brings any profit but pull a "Bose" move, use heavy heavy DSP with shit speakers and charge a high price for that "tech", and watch that dough roll in. I mean clearly I'm not pulling this out of my ass when Sony hasn't made a new receiver since 2017.

Judging by the video, the settings haven't changed at all. The "EQ" is just still Tone Control like an old OEM radio. Honestly I always like how my 1080 settings were anyways.

At the end of the day, I am still glad Sony is making receivers. Sony could've stopped making nice products like what Mitsubishi did with there car division.

Last edited:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW in the thread at Audioholics, Gene mentioned Sony has already contacted them to do bench testing on the flagship model....
Looking forward to seeing a modern Sony ES series AVR tested! I can’t remember the last time I saw measurements of one…back in the day they were fancy, powerful, with the slickest dsp features and ui.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FWIW in the thread at Audioholics, Gene mentioned Sony has already contacted them to do bench testing on the flagship model....
Gene's measurements are cursory so will not be easy to compare to mine.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking forward to seeing a modern Sony ES series AVR tested! I can’t remember the last time I saw measurements of one…back in the day they were fancy, powerful, with the slickest dsp features and ui.
Well, considering req they've been behind for many years now....love to see progress here. Sony does have its own take on the dsp thing (I still have an older unit).

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How so? Besides, it's Matthew Poes who will do the testing....
Gene is the only person there with Audio Precision (lower end but multichannel compared to mine) and usually the only person doing AVR measurements. Just compare one of this measurements to my AVR tests. While I may have 12 to 14 tests, he will run 2 to 3. The conditions of his tests won't necessarily match mine so even there, you won't be able to compare the data. To be sure, it is better than nothing but is not a substitute for us doing the work.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Gene is the only person there with Audio Precision (lower end but multichannel compared to mine) and usually the only person doing AVR measurements. Just compare one of this measurements to my AVR tests. While I may have 12 to 14 tests, he will run 2 to 3. The conditions of his tests won't necessarily match mine so even there, you won't be able to compare the data. To be sure, it is better than nothing but is not a substitute for us doing the work.
IIRC Matthew has now moved within a reasonable distance from Gene, so perhaps the equipment is the same. My comment was more to elicit particulars of differences, like a side by side of a detailed measurement review of both of you and how one becomes cursory....and really would like to see you do multich measurements of gear that are multich....fwiw

techsamurai

Amir, is there a place you explain your testing philosophy and what each test is looking for?

beeface

Amir, is there a place you explain your testing philosophy and what each test is looking for?

Bonus:
Specifically for digital: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...derstanding-digital-audio-measurements.10523/

Other educational threads from Amir: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ng&c[title_only]=1&c[users]=amirm&o=relevance

There's helpful videos here, too: https://www.youtube.com/@AudioScienceReview/videos

To be fair, it's not super easy to find some of this stuff :) Maybe something that should be stickied/pinned

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
IIRC Matthew has now moved within a reasonable distance from Gene, so perhaps the equipment is the same.
It is not. Matthew is using his own measurement gear and doesn't have access to AP.

Deividas

So who is brave enough to buy one and send it to me for testing??? :)
If you are going to get one, please test the new room calibration, while its gonna be a subjective opinion, I think I am not the only one who thinks that calibration is very important feature in AVRs, personally so far only Audyssey has tangible improvement over other solutions, very interested in Sony's new solution.

Thank you for your work Amir ;)

Deividas

Looks quite good so far, on paper at least, hope the calibration is gonna do some tangible improvement as well. Also what I hope for is Sony promised Tempest 3D audio solution for Home Theater audio before PS5 release and still its only available on headphones and TV, so my hope is that they gonna release 3D Audio for HT and gonna market the hell out of these AVRs as the best device for PS5 3D audio.

wseroyer

I agree the AZ5000ES looks promising, however already a 3000ES would be sufficient for most setups if it had pre-outs! Unfortunatly the documents and the pictures of the backplate are not matching e.g. https://www.sonypremiumhome.com/pdfs/230111-FY23-ES-Receiver-Specs_FNL_Launch-Event_1-30-23.pdf (9.2 pre outs) but no one shown.. So I don`t know if the 3000 and 1000 have pre outs..

AZ3000-product-back.jpg
Ya that's Sony for you, they don't put a lot of frillrs into their products, opposite of D&M.

wseroyer

IIRC Matthew has now moved within a reasonable distance from Gene, so perhaps the equipment is the same. My comment was more to elicit particulars of differences, like a side by side of a detailed measurement review of both of you and how one becomes cursory....and really would like to see you do multich measurements of gear that are multich....fwiw
Matt doesn't have a Audio Precision they cost $40,000 plus Gene has a lot more experience measuring amplifiers than Matt does. Matt used to do all the sub and speaker measurements when he lived next to James Larson. Now it's just James doing that stuff for Audioholics, Matt is like a more high end version of don dunn he design's theaters and listening spaces for people, and over all just has a ton of knowledge on how a speaker interacts with a room.

RocShemp

Does the AZ7000ES have a Sony equivalent of Audyssey Dynamic EQ / Volume? I know some might view it as sacrilegious, but I find such features useful.

Also, is the AZ7000ES expandable to 15 channels? Not a deal-breaker, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Finally, will there be HDR10+ passthrough?

Top Bottom