• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Sony ES 8K AV Receiver Line STR-AZ7000ES STR-AZ5000ES STR-AZ3000ES STR-AZ1000ES

Doctors11

The web interface is ok....it took a day just to figure out what setting to turn on in the Sony menu to allow the web interface to connect. It gives you the functionality to make changes without having to grab the remote and pause your movie or music. It's functional, graphics and layout for the web interface are pretty basic in appearance. The one thing that really bothers me is that if you're streaming music and make changes in the settings (not the basic sound changes like AFD, Spatial on/off, etc) - like changing the crossover frequency or turning up the speaker levels - it kills the music connection. You have to re-cast and connect (using Amazon music) and your the song starts over and never picks up where you stopped it.
I'm a newbie to this kind of tech. How do you access the web interface? Do you type the IP address into Google on your phone?

davjo69

I'm a newbie to this kind of tech. How do you access the web interface? Do you type the IP address into Google on your phone?

Attachments

• IMG_1127.jpeg
    IMG_1127.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 133

The Guy who cares

I have demo'd several AVR's over the last few months. Using a 2.1 setup for 50/50 mix of movies and music, but need the zone 2 funtionality to feed a multizone channel Russound amp and also 2nd HDMI feed to outside deck that is about 20 feet from the main source area. An AVR just fit my needs better because of it's all-in-one functionality. The SR7015 is a little more warmer sounding, the bass is the best of all the amps demo'd. The Sony is just more open and airy and clearer with all vocals. You lose a touch of musicality that the Marantz has, but the clarity and all of the spatial options (even with a 2.1 setup) are just too much to give up. The closest to the Sony sound wise would be the Onkyo RZ50. The Onkyo has a better app and also dirac, but the Sony's room correction did more to improve the sound in my listening area to me. The Onkyo is about a 6.5 on clarity, the Sony is a solid 8 or 8.5 (Marantz would be a 6). The Yamaha A2A and the A4A were good with music and instruments, but the vocal clarity was the worst. Even with all of the customization available, I couldn't get vocals to sound as clear with music and movies. Yamaha has the best web interface, followed by Onkyo, Marantz and then Sony. Sony has the worst app, period. It's functional, but once you've played around with the other apps you wish Sony would invest more resources into this area. Sony also has the worst remote. Yamaha's backlit remote is great, plus it somehow was able to work a few menu options on my sony tv, something that even the Sony receiver's remote failed to do. So, best in sound is the Sony, but it's middle of the pack or bottom in the other areas.
How does Rotel's sound compare to Sony's sound with 2 channel music ?

RIC4044

How does Rotel's sound compare to Sony's sound with 2 channel music ?
I haven't demo'd a Rotel. I'm burnt out and so is the wife who has to put up with my listening sessions every evening. I still have the Sony, but I have another week before I need to send it back. I may send it back and wait a month or 2 to see if they go on sale and/or if Sony decides to correct a few of the minor quirks. I may try a couple of the integrated amps next (Cambridge Evo 150) or a Blusound Node combined with a nice Emotiva or Rotel 2 channel amp.

The Guy who cares

I haven't demo'd a Rotel. I'm burnt out and so is the wife who has to put up with my listening sessions every evening. I still have the Sony, but I have another week before I need to send it back. I may send it back and wait a month or 2 to see if they go on sale and/or if Sony decides to correct a few of the minor quirks. I may try a couple of the integrated amps next (Cambridge Evo 150) or a Blusound Node combined with a nice Emotiva or Rotel 2 channel I

The Guy who cares

Why is Sony's 360SSM so important to you ? I am still waiting for my Sony-az7000es but I don't really care about the 360SSM as long as everything else works. To me there isn't anything else on the Market I want. For music you can do what I do is I have a Rotel RB-1582MKII Power Amplifier and a Rotel RC-1590 Pre amp. So The pre amp has a Fixed Volume for the Aux input. I run my CD player and streamer into both the Rotel and my 9 year old Yamaha RX-A3040. When listening to music I turn off the Yamaha and just run the Rotels. Music sound so much better with Rotel, Yamaha sounds like crap with music, excellent for movies. However I play some movies with a lot of music only through the Rotel using its Optical input.s.

Last edited:

RocShemp

Why is Sony's 360SSM so important to you ?
Can't speak for anyone but myself. However, all things being equal, the only thing that makes these new ES receivers truly stand out is their 360 Spatial Sound Mapping. It promises for a more immersive sound experience, and greater flexibility for folks like me who have non-traditional positioning of their rear surrounds.

kalexan9

Why is Sony's 360SSM so important to you ? I am still waiting for my Sony-az7000es but I don't really care about the 360SSM as long as everything else works. To me there isn't anything else on the Market I want. For music you can do what I do is I have a Rotel RB-1582MKII Power Amplifier and a Rotel RC-1590 Pre amp. So The pre amp has a Fixed Volume for the Aux input. I run my CD player and streamer into both the Rotel and my 9 year old Yamaha RX-A3040. When listening to music I turn off the Yamaha and just run the Rotels. Music sound so much better with Rotel, Yamaha sounds like crap with music, excellent for movies. However I play some movies with a lot of music only through the Rotel using its Optical input.s.
It is a nice feature to play with, however, my 7000ES sounds fantastic even with 360SSM turned off. As a matter of fact, I often forget to turn on 360SSM because of the Sony sounding so good in native mode.

We will see how Sony handles this, but right now when asking for a confirmation "yes or no" if Sony will indeed fix the hum or will just one day state "it is operating as designed" (as they have done in the past) - Sony has twice averted actually confirming if it will be fixed or not

The closest response has been "Our engineering group is currently looking into the issue. I will not have further information until they have completed their investigation."

I again have pushed for a direct response so I will advise once I get a commitment either way.

The only reason I am pushing is because I have a current buy back offer - I see no reason to do a buyback if they confirm they will fix the issue, but if they cannot - I will just take them up on the buy back offer and switch back to a Denon.

Krusty09

Forum Donor
Soon
Only
Not
Yet.

This has been the case for Sony in the broadcast world for ever and for the most part the consumer world as well. Hang in there , wishes do come true.

The Guy who cares

Can't speak for anyone but myself. However, all things being equal, the only thing that makes these new ES receivers truly stand out is their 360 Spatial Sound Mapping. It promises for a more immersive sound experience, and greater flexibility for folks like me who have non-traditional positioning of their

We will see how Sony handles this, but right now when asking for a confirmation "yes or no" if Sony will indeed fix the hum or will just one day state "it is operating as designed" (as they have done in the past) - Sony has twice averted actually confirming if it will be fixed or not

The closest response has been "Our engineering group is currently looking into the issue. I will not have further information until they have completed their investigation."

I again have pushed for a direct response so I will advise once I get a commitment either way.

The only reason I am pushing is because I have a current buy back offer - I see no reason to do a buyback if they confirm they will fix the issue, but if they cannot - I will just take them up on the buy back offer and switch back to a Denon.
I am curious is it possible the Hum is only coming out of the Subwoofer output. Have you tride running your speakers Full Range? With no subs.. Maybe the hum may dissappear or not. If you have excellent speakers subs shouldn't be necessary. I use Cerwin Vega SL-15s for my mains they have a 15" inch woofers. I did however add insulation and block the rear ports. I also have Cerwin Vega SL-12 s for there rear "12" Woofers" I also modified these buy adding internal insulation but I didn't block the rear ports.

Last edited:
I am curious is it possible the Hum is only coming out of the Subwoofer output. Have you tride running your speakers Full Range? With no subs.. Maybe the hum may dissappear or not. If you have excellent speakers subs shouldn't be necessary. I use Cerwin Vega SL-15s for my mains they have a 15" inch woofers. I did however add insulation and block the rear ports. I also have Cerwin Vega SL-12 s for there rear "12" Woofers" I also modified these buy adding internal insulation but I didn't block the rear ports.
It is not on the Sub Channels - running high end Paradigm Prestige speakers

Slee_Stack

I have the AN1000 receiver.

Sony's Audio Enhancer is my favorite feature. It turns regular main speakers into a huge front wall of sound. It utilizes Front Heights, but not any surround speakers.

360SSM is nice (more immersive) on most movie/tv soundtracks, but it sometimes makes 5.1ch music sound worse (too echoey).

While not perfect by any stretch, the Sony has made a noticeable improvement to my listening experience.

I doubt it would rank high in a measurement evaluation on ASR but its features actually make a positive difference and mainly what a receiver should be evaluated on.

The Guy who cares

Sony str-az7000es and str-az5000es are still not available in Canada? and also not available in Australia?

Did anyone know this was a friggin thing?wow!

Installing 5.1.5.3-channel speaker system (360RA Reference configuration) (for STR-AZ7000ES)​

This speaker installation is configured by adding top front and top rear overhead speakers, and bottom front floor speakers to 5.1-channel speaker system.
Illustration showing the position of each speaker for installation. Install each speaker on a circumference with the listening position as the center point. The subwoofer does not have to be on the circumference and can be installed anywhere.

Angle at which each speaker is placed from the line connecting the listening position and the center speaker (0 degrees)

souni_cir_p_1.png
Front speakers: 30°
souni_cir_p_2.png
Surround speakers: 100° - 120°

Vertical angle at which each speaker is placed from a line drawn straight ahead from the height of the listener's ears (0 degrees)

souni_cir_p_3.png
Bottom front speakers: 20°
souni_cir_p_4.png
Top front speakers: 30° - 55°
souni_cir_p_5.png
Top rear speakers: 120° - 150°

I wish Somebody will send audio science a Sony-az7000es to review a Consumer mode. I am tired of those trashing Sony then recommending Denon. I like to know the truth. Enough is Enough.
Last year I got a denon 3800 and the sony 7000 came in today. Unfortunately, you couldn't conceive of a worse audio person than me so I won't be any help. I did confirm that the denon sends out a 5.1 signal to the Sony and the Sony recognizes it. That's important to me because I connect two avr's to get more channels and fun. The 3800 also sends/receives a 5.1 which allows auro3d at 7.8.8. Usually, avr's like to only send/receive 2 channel and then you can't get extra surround channels. I want to use the 3800 in 5.1.6 and then send a signal to the 7000 and try the 360 audio Andrew was fawning over, I'll see if it's better than the auro3D in 7.8.8.

I did connect the above diagram 5.1.5.3 but I can't find source material to play, since I'm inexperienced at streaming 360SA services. I tried Tidal through a coupon in the sony box but my roku only sends 2 channel. So I'll try pc later, I did try my iphone to cast it but the app didn't recognize my phone 14 as a 360 device.

I didn't hear a hum from the sony and I think I already have a bad pc ground loop, because recently I got some Kali's and when my pc was on they hummed like a mutha.

I didn't find a way to change levels on the fly like the denon, I had to go deep into the menu and lose the signal to adjust which was awful, so hopefully I find a shortcut. In some plain quick testing it sounded fine, nothing special, no different from the denon but again, I have no idea what I'm doing. I also didn't like that the speaker guide in the menu only showed diagrams for using wire and not the pre outs, not that it's a big deal but the denon does show that.

The remote seemed fine to me, I liked the enter button was more decisive than the mushy denon, I also think the menu responds a bit faster and is nice. I didn't see as much choice in assigning speaker configurations, but it's probably I'm just used to denon. I didn't see an option to turn off speakers and use preamps like the denon. I also don't know if I can add extra channels with an amp.

smile nya

Last year I got a denon 3800 and the sony 7000 came in today. Unfortunately, you couldn't conceive of a worse audio person than me so I won't be any help. I did confirm that the denon sends out a 5.1 signal to the Sony and the Sony recognizes it. That's important to me because I connect two avr's to get more channels and fun. The 3800 also sends/receives a 5.1 which allows auro3d at 7.8.8. Usually, avr's like to only send/receive 2 channel and then you can't get extra surround channels. I want to use the 3800 in 5.1.6 and then send a signal to the 7000 and try the 360 audio Andrew was fawning over, I'll see if it's better than the auro3D in 7.8.8.

I did connect the above diagram 5.1.5.3 but I can't find source material to play, since I'm inexperienced at streaming 360SA services. I tried Tidal through a coupon in the sony box but my roku only sends 2 channel. So I'll try pc later, I did try my iphone to cast it but the app didn't recognize my phone 14 as a 360 device.

I didn't hear a hum from the sony and I think I already have a bad pc ground loop, because recently I got some Kali's and when my pc was on they hummed like a mutha.

I didn't find a way to change levels on the fly like the denon, I had to go deep into the menu and lose the signal to adjust which was awful, so hopefully I find a shortcut. In some plain quick testing it sounded fine, nothing special, no different from the denon but again, I have no idea what I'm doing. I also didn't like that the speaker guide in the menu only showed diagrams for using wire and not the pre outs, not that it's a big deal but the denon does show that.

The remote seemed fine to me, I liked the enter button was more decisive than the mushy denon, I also think the menu responds a bit faster and is nice. I didn't see as much choice in assigning speaker configurations, but it's probably I'm just used to denon. I didn't see an option to turn off speakers and use preamps like the denon. I also don't know if I can add extra channels with an amp.

I failed to mix the channels of the 8500h and 3800h the other day. I tried to send Dolby source using zone2, but I could only send 2-channel PCM.
How did you succeed? Even in the Denon manual, it is written that if the main channel and zone2 channel output the same source, zone2 can only output 2-channel pcm. Channel combination of two avrs was successful just once by chance, but it seemed like a bit of a bug.
So I'm giving up and trying to sell the 3800h.
Please give me good information.

Top Bottom