• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Sony ES 8K AV Receiver Line STR-AZ7000ES STR-AZ5000ES STR-AZ3000ES STR-AZ1000ES

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Andrew Robinson reviewed another Sony AVR, the STR-AN1000, which is not part of the ES lineup but it seems to offer the same Calibration and Spatial Surround. He didn't seem to have any issues except with 4 Ohm speakers which the unit is not recommended to be used with anyway.

A pretty positive review all around. He didn't seem to have the issues that folks found in the 5000ES - maybe they are particular to that unit?

kalexan9

I'm still evaluating my 7000ES. I've run into an issue where I can't engage 360 SSM. It keeps telling me that I have to finish calibration which I have done 3 times already. When I press the button on the remote, it says: 360SSM OFF (Fixed). I don't know if it is my error or what. I also experienced the center channel setup error, but I think it was my fault. When I switched the CC input (top one) on the back, all was fine. Setup was super easy. As a matter of fact it was as easy as I've seen in a receiver. And 360 SSM, or no 360 SSM, the detail retrieval in the processing of this unit with movie soundtracks is indeed next level from what I've heard so far. I am truly impressed and can't wait to see what 360 SSM can do. I spent an hour listening to my RZ50 before hooking up the 7000ES, but after giving the Sony a listen, the difference in detail resolution was VERY evident and not subtle at all. As for misses, I think Sony struck out with the useless remote at this price (which is the same as the Sony HT-A9). Also, the display is not very good (too small and too dim). The removable panel is a swing and a miss, but to me , the biggest let down is the absence of a bass management solution - I was hoping to be able to ditch the minidsp hd, but I will be keeping it. Music reproduction is incredible - especially the 360 music demo. Even though I'm still evaluating, I am impressed overall (and haven't even tried 360 SSM yet). Is it worth $3300???? Hell no! It's overpriced like everything else. This should (imo) be a $2300 receiver. Still evaluating over the next few weeks, but I will answer questions best I can.

kalexan9

Well my Cat brought me a live mouse as a gift and of course the mouse got away and my Cats all upset. That was so much more fun than waiting for an answer on what is "The CC Input" on the Sony-az7000ES.
Sorry, woke up briefly last night and didn't have the alertness or energy to type out a response. Also, I do have a job that I start first thing in the morning, just so you know.;) Yes, in my excited rush while hooking everything up, and while working with a flashlight in a cramped position, I put the center (or "centre":p) channel cable into the subwoofer preout. But as I mentioned, I caught the mistake and setup went smoothly after that. As shown in the picture above, it's easy to do if not paying attention. Any other questions, just fire away.

cyclosarin

The feedback inside and outside ASR around these new Sony receivers has been all over the place and it’s a little jarring. Those on AZ1000ES and AZ3000ES are complaining about hardware issues, AZ5000ES users experiencing multiple bugs, and then there’s AZ7000ES owners who are praising their units more so with minimal issues. Only common issue that I’ve seen with the top model is 360SSM thinking the unit hasn’t calibrated after calibration. Talk about hardware variance across the board.

I tested both the AZ3000ES and an AZ5000ES with lackluster results around 360SSM and bass emphasized tuning post calibration. I’m just not sure if I want to put in the effort to test the AZ7000ES at this point because it might just end up being the same experience.

For those with the AZ7000ES, I’d love to get your take on reposted issues rather than just sound impressions.

ban25

I'd be curious to see someone capture the waveforms out of the pre-outs for 360SSM versus 5.1 channel and 2-channel to see what it's doing. I hope it's more than all-channel stereo and a +10dB bass boost!

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the 360SSM is just a widening effect. I had a Realstic Graphic Equalizer back in the 90s that had a Variable Stereo Widening control. I loved it too.

It’s actually the speaker relocation tech used by Trinnov and 2D Sony features. Came from the HT-A9.

Basically phantom centers, but using all speakers. HT-A9 has 8 mics (2 in each speaker).

techsamurai

I wish someone would Pop the lid of the Sony str-az7000es and take some good high resolution pictures of the units interior.

Here are some pictures of the components

And also a plexiglass cover

techsamurai

Is Sony using a new 32-bit DAC for this and if so, who is making it for them? It doesn't sound like they are going with the usual suspects.

techsamurai

4-d.jpg

Last edited:

CyrusTheGreat_600BC

I think the 7000 will last longer because it's Sony's Premium Flag Ship Model. Why not pay the extra for something that may last a lifetime.
Sony is famous for abandoning its products and creations. So it does not matter which one you get regarding future support. I have their first gen OLED which has lots of firmware problems that never got fixed. They want you to buy the new model.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That does look different. What is that wave pattern for? I suspect it's extra heat dissipation.
I am not sure

That's interesting. The *ZA*5000 in the previous generation had the real heatsinks. It seems like they are reserving this for the flagships AZ7000ES.

That is for resonance control. Invented in the 90's with the TA-N9000ES. Was also used in the TA-A1ES.

1678827717304.png

techsamurai

Well I give the Sony str-az7000es and 5000 have internal fans that aren't barried under a bunch of circuitry a DIY clean up job can be done without taking the unit to a repair shop.
How much capacitance does it have? I saw 2 capacitors on the site with 10,000 @80v. I hope it's at least 36,000.

Top Bottom