• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Sony ES 8K AV Receiver Line STR-AZ7000ES STR-AZ5000ES STR-AZ3000ES STR-AZ1000ES

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Just wondering but has anyone tried connecting this AVR to a dac to the analog input for better Stereo music playback? Unsure if the pure direct etc modes disable Subwoofer LFE too tho.
In all cases I know of for current products, any form of EQ, processing, crossover etc.... is all done in the digital domain - and therefore requires that the input be digital or that it be digitised....

If you are going to use ANY of the processing functions of the AVR, there is no point using an external DAC... the end result will be limited by the incoming ADC. (and you will then be double converting DAC -> ADC -> DAC)

Magnus

In all cases I know of for current products, any form of EQ, processing, crossover etc.... is all done in the digital domain - and therefore requires that the input be digital or that it be digitised....

If you are going to use ANY of the processing functions of the AVR, there is no point using an external DAC... the end result will be limited by the incoming ADC. (and you will then be double converting DAC -> ADC -> DAC)
Some AVRs do have a "Direct" or "Pure" mode bypass that just redirects the analog input straight to the pre-outs and/or amplifiers other than basic volume control. You typically lose your delays, bass management, etc on those models in that mode.

I personally don't buy into the notion DAC differences are actually audible at this stage of development. The differences are too small and so I wouldn't bother, but whatever floats people's boats I guess.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Some AVRs do have a "Direct" or "Pure" mode bypass that just redirects the analog input straight to the pre-outs and/or amplifiers other than basic volume control. You typically lose your delays, bass management, etc on those models in that mode.

I personally don't buy into the notion DAC differences are actually audible at this stage of development. The differences are too small and so I wouldn't bother, but whatever floats people's boats I guess.
Yes - many (most?) have a pure/direct mode - but that bypasses all the processing functions including things like crossovers.

Some AVR's of 10 to 15 years ago, had jitter issues, especially with HDMI input streams (not so much with SPDIF/TOSLINK) - which might (!) have been audible.

Current generation AVR's don't have this issue (in fact on some of the current ones, the SPDIF/TOSLINK performance is lower than what is achieved on HDMI... time marches on!).

Most current mid market and up AVR's have DAC's where the sound quality should be indistinguishable from any other quality DAC... flaws such as they may be (SINAD, THD, Noise, Jitter) are all below the threshold of audibility even on mass market chipsets.

Some parts of the audio chain, are really solved problems nowadays, and short of an engineer really messing up, there is no excuse for an AVR to have below par performance in DAC terms (par being measured based on Thresholds of audibility... - yes most AVR's do not get close to the SINAD possible with SOTA stand alone DAC's.... )

gsibble

So I got a 5000ES. I'm in love with it except for one thing. I've never heard surround sound, well, sound this good. The actual effects, amplifier, and video quality are great. I'm very happy with the great menu system and setup features.

But God does it have a horrible hissing sound. I knew about when I ordered it but it's so annoying. I can mostly ignore it while watching a movie but when it gets quiet.....there it is, especially when listening louder.

I'm still happy with the amp and it's not worth returning it but has anyone found a solution? Would an external amp with the pre-outs get rid of it? Do we know if the hissing is in the DAC or the amp? I wouldn't mind getting an external amp if it meant I can get rid of it. So annoying.

And yes, this is a warning to anyone considering the ES line.......it has a horrible hissing sound. Very noticeable. If you're considering the amp, consider whether you want to deal with it.

Magnus

A guy at AVS had the same issue with hiss on his Sony 5000ES. He bought the 13.2 channel Marantz SR8015 while it's on sale right now brand new for around $2200. That solved his Sony hiss problem and gave him additional Front Wides as a bonus. ;)

gsibble

A guy at AVS had the same issue with hiss on his Sony 5000ES. He bought the 13.2 channel Marantz SR8015 while it's on sale right now brand new for around $2200. That solved his Sony hiss problem and gave him additional Front Wides as a bonus. ;)

Says here it's only 11.2.

I'm trying to do this without returning the receiver. It doesn't bother me enough to go through that hassle.

Magnus

Says here it's only 11.2.

I'm trying to do this without returning the receiver. It doesn't bother me enough to go through that hassle.
It says here you didn't look too closely. It has 11 channels of amplification, but 13.2 channels of playback at the same time. The SR7015 (a newer version of my own SR7012) is 11.2 channels with 9 channels of amplification. The SR8015 is one model up and similar to the Denon 8500 except for two fewer built-in amp channels. You'll need an external amp for two channels.

gsibble

It says here you didn't look too closely. It has 11 channels of amplification, but 13.2 channels of playback at the same time. The SR7015 (a newer version of my own SR7012) is 11.2 channels with 9 channels of amplification. The SR8015 is one model up and similar to the Denon 8500 except for two fewer built-in amp channels. You'll need an external amp for two channels.

How interesting. Thanks. I'll probably get a Marantz Cinema 40 instead since it's newer and I don't need 13 channels. Have decided to return it.

Schwa83

Hi folks - Just got my AZ5000 yesterday. Upgraded from an Onkyo NR7100. So far pretty pleased, and thankfully zero hissing or sounds, regardless of if spacial mapping is turned on or not. Was able to get it on Ebay, brand new and unopened for $1650 which I thought was a pretty good deal.

I am perplexed as to why there is no included 360 Audio upmixer, and also why you can't play 360 Audio content over HDMI (only chromecast). Seems very strange considering it's a Sony AVR and Sony tech.

I have also found that enabling SSM can have varying results. Depending on which Sound Field is selected, having it on can cause the audio to sound really low, kinda weak. In other sound fields turning it on can enhance an already great sound. It's strange and I feel like I want to figure it out better but just not sure how.

Last edited:
Hi folks - Just got my AZ5000 yesterday. Upgraded from an Onkyo NR7100. So far pretty pleased, and thankfully zero hissing or sounds, regardless of if spacial mapping is turned on or not. Was able to get it on Ebay, brand new and unopened for $1650 which I thought was a pretty good deal.

I am perplexed as to why there is no included 360 Audio upmixer, and also why you can't play 360 Audio content over HDMI (only chromecast). Seems very strange considering it's a Sony AVR and Sony tech.
After i got a replacement unit, all the hissing disappeared and it is clean as a whistle. I don't think they state it explicitly. But, i believe the A.F.D soundfield setting and SSM enabled uses 360 upmix.

talktopwc

As you can see sony AVR have a problem with bass. The best thing you can do is trial and error to find the best setting. Which mode you are using? SSM? try turning it on and off you will feel difference.
Hi Alkaizer. It has been a while since my initial post and I have spend many hours dialing things in.

Thanks to you I figured out that the only time my bass is getting cut is when I turn SSM on!

So for now I just don't use this feature. This kind of sucks as that was one of the features that most interested me when I went with the Sony.

That being said the 360RA stream coming through my newwork from Tidal on my phone now sounds amazing. In my opinion it even sounds better than a similar Dolby Atmos mixes that are coming from Apple Music on my Apple TV via HDMI. The key here is to use the 360RA option and not the 360 Bluetooth option. I used the Bluetooth for a while before I figured this out and thought 360 was a step behind Atmos. Also be aware that Airplay does not support 360 .

talktopwc

The second question I have has to do with my desire to Bi-amp the RC7 Center Channel using the 2nd Center option in the ES 7000. I read through the manual and learned that you could add a second center so I configured it as directed and connected the center channel speaker terminals to one set of binding posts and the second center speaker output (which according to the manual is output on the R side terminals of the Height 3 channel if configured in the speaker configuration page.

When I did this I did not get any output from the 2nd Center.

Would love to hear some feedback on this.

Also, wanted to thank you all for the 40 pages of learning I did over the past few weeks. You all have gone through alot of trial and error and I appreaciate that you took the time to share your findings with me and the other members of this group.

By the way I have some hiss here and there, seems to be tied to my Apple TV, but I have yet to take the time to track down the circumstances that generate it.

All the best!
Just a quick update here regarding my attempt to Bi-amp the front Center Channel.

1. In order to turn on the 2nd Center Channel Output you must change two settings.
    1. Manual Speaker Settings, Height 3 Speaker Assign= Center 2
    2. Manual Speaker, Speaker Pattern, Listerner-level Speakers -5.1(or whatever your setup is) and then select 5.1 again and a message will appear that says Center2 Speaker : Yes. (this is not in the manual and was not communicated to me by Sony support staff, I just stumbled on it.
Hope that helps!

Stefan H.

Thanks for your advice, for certain reason I'm unable to return it and need to live with it.

So any suggestion to lower the distortion would be appreciated.

I noticed that when I changed my surround speakers to kef the distortion decreased a little bit. Also lowering the volume helped. Is there anything more I can do? Im planning to place surround speakers further away from my seat.

SSM is great. But this distortion kinda annoying.

Also when SSM mode is on, the sound becomes lighter, so I increased the base and lowered treble a bit which also help. So much for first day testing
Do you still have the issues with the distortion or hissing?
If not, what was the solution?

Last edited:

gsibble

Do you still have the issues with the distortion or hissing?
If not, what was the solution?
I actually did find turning off engineering speaker correction and phantom speaker placement significantly reduced the hiss.

Last edited:
What type of height speakers are you all using with 360 reality SSM? In-Ceiling? Pendant? Wall height mounts? Dolby upfiring "bounce" modules? Any consensus on what sounds better? I am guessing some of you changed things up since 360 reality SSM works quite differently than atmos, dts or auro?

talktopwc

Another update on my wrestling match with the STR-AZ7000ES Subwoofer settings and SSM.

After a suggestion in another forum I turned all my Speakers to large and set the Subwoofer Lowpass Filter to On.

This is supposed to cross all speakers at 120. I think the rolloff is significant.

The result is the best bell curve I have found for switching between 2ch (with sub) 5.1, Atmos, and 360.

Although I would love to be able to set my speakers to small and adjust the crossover lower (I have Klipsch RF7 and RF5 speakers) for whatever reason the above setting sounds much better to my ears and allows be to use SSM without the same drop in low frequencies.

Of note: The reason I want to cross so high is I am in a small room and the room modes from my speakers are harder to control than those produced by my sub.

Good listening everyone!

RWetmore

So I got a 5000ES. I'm in love with it except for one thing. I've never heard surround sound, well, sound this good. The actual effects, amplifier, and video quality are great. I'm very happy with the great menu system and setup features.

But God does it have a horrible hissing sound. I knew about when I ordered it but it's so annoying. I can mostly ignore it while watching a movie but when it gets quiet.....there it is, especially when listening louder.

I'm still happy with the amp and it's not worth returning it but has anyone found a solution? Would an external amp with the pre-outs get rid of it? Do we know if the hissing is in the DAC or the amp? I wouldn't mind getting an external amp if it meant I can get rid of it. So annoying.

And yes, this is a warning to anyone considering the ES line.......it has a horrible hissing sound. Very noticeable. If you're considering the amp, consider whether you want to deal with it.

Yes, some have reported a solution to the hiss. Re-run the auto-calibration as many times as it takes for the hiss to go away. People have reported that they have been able to get rid of the hiss in this way, which suggest it's some kind of byproduct or (sometimes) flaw of the auto-calibration.

Top Bottom