• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Sony AVR - STR-AZ7000ES, STR-AZ5000ES, STR-AZ3000ES

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sony just announced 4 new AVRs in their ES lineup. They seem competitively priced with the 5000ES being cheaper if I'm not mistaken than its predecessor.

They are also heavy with all 3 top models over 40lbs with a small size factor chassis which is quite impressive. The addition of spatial sound is interesting especially in view of the fact that Sony created the HT-A9 and has set the standard in spatial audio. The ability to modify the center channel to include a Sony TV or add a 2nd center channel is also very interesting.

The power benchmark of the previous 5000 (sound and vision) was substantially better than the Cinema 50 with 5 channels and 7 channels and held over 100 watts. Very few AVRs can hold those numbers nowadays and they usually cost twice as much.

They also come with 5 years of warranty which imo are 2-3 times more valuable than 3 year warranties.

What do you think?

OP
techsamurai

techsamurai

This is a duplicate - we can delete it.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
I realllllllly love Sony ES products, but I just can't get behind using their crappy room correction when Dirac is available.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
I realllllllly love Sony ES products, but I just can't get behind using their crappy room correction when Dirac is available.
The spatial audio is getting rave reviews. The calibration curve Sony has is more similar to what Dirac goes for on a graph. I have used both in my room. I honestly prefer Sony after messing W/Audyssey. I think you have the Rz50. I couldn't get one and tried both onkyo and pioneer with Dirac. Though the Dirac sounded good I thought the Avrs were cheap and had poor tone. Oh this included a 1700 dollar integra. I am either going your route wirh the Rz and amps or getting a Sony. I am sick of Audyssey and my anemic Denon.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
The spatial audio is getting rave reviews. The calibration curve Sony has is more similar to what Dirac goes for on a graph. I have used both in my room. I honestly prefer Sony after messing W/Audyssey. I think you have the Rz50. I couldn't get one and tried both onkyo and pioneer with Dirac. Though the Dirac sounded good I thought the Avrs were cheap and had poor tone. Oh this included a 1700 dollar integra. I am either going your route wirh the Rz and amps or getting a Sony. I am sick of Audyssey and my anemic Denon.
I know the new spatial audio room correction is supposed to be great, I just want Sony to share more details around what it’s doing. I don’t think I can just blindly trust in room correction.

rafacq

I bought the STR-AZ5000ES about a month ago and am very pleased. Their calibration works well, I ended increasing the center channel by 2db. I’ve really enjoyed using their 360SSM even when listening to music (where before I always opted for pure direct in my previous Yamaha).

Top Bottom