• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL Sanskrit 10th with AK 4490

Veri

Master Contributor
I will listen it more carefully next day or so and leave my impressions... Topping D30 is my main and favorite DAC so far, but I also have Sabaj Da2 and Da3 at hands so I will compare it with them too.

All that ESS Sabre goodness ;)

Let us know if you can discern any differences in sound!

Aibo

So I've been listening the DAC for the last two days. First of all my system consists of PC + DAC + Harman Kardon HK6500 + Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3. So here are some impressions based solely on what I hear because I don't have a way of measureing anything.

In my opinion overall sound-stage width and details are in level with SMSL Idea (Da2) but I prefer tighter bass and neutral sound style of the Idea, it sound more flat and realistic to me. Sanskirt 10th has kind of thick warm bass and brighter signature in higher frequencies - for example vocals can sound somewhat sibilant in my system which doesn't happen with Topping D10 and D30, sMSL Idea/Sabaj Da2, Da3... It's worth mentioning that since I tried Topping D30 it is my favorite one, in my system it has the cleanest and widest sound-stage, and it can deliver some serious energy and punch that I just don't here with other DACs I tried so far (it also pushed out HRT microstreamer I've been using for 2.5 years).

Here's also my YT video about it. I did the best I could with what I have, but don't expect it to be pro or anything. :)

Last edited:

peder2tm

Is the device still usable if you lose the remote? Does it reset the volume when you turn it off and on again?

Aibo

It is usable to some degree, you can change inputs (short press) and turn it on/off (long press) but no way to control volume level without remote. And no it doesn't reset the volume, it keeps last used volume even if you disconnect the power completely.

BTW, volume level is adjustable in 40 steps labeled -40 to 0.

gorg

meaningless
Not exactly. When someone is trying to set very low volume level due to middle of the night, it could be harder with 40 steps than e.g. 128 steps. It's really annoying when level "1" is too loud and level "0" is dead silent...

ren7o

Hi guys, any new graphs or reviews for this DAC?
Does the input selection stay after reset?

btw. TY Aibo!

FireLion

So I've been listening the DAC for the last two days. First of all my system consists of PC + DAC + Harman Kardon HK6500 + Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3. So here are some impressions based solely on what I hear because I don't have a way of measureing anything.

In my opinion overall sound-stage width and details are in level with SMSL Idea (Da2) but I prefer tighter bass and neutral sound style of the Idea, it sound more flat and realistic to me. Sanskirt 10th has kind of thick warm bass and brighter signature in higher frequencies - for example vocals can sound somewhat sibilant in my system which doesn't happen with Topping D10 and D30, sMSL Idea/Sabaj Da2, Da3... It's worth mentioning that since I tried Topping D30 it is my favorite one, in my system it has the cleanest and widest sound-stage, and it can deliver some serious energy and punch that I just don't here with other DACs I tried so far (it also pushed out HRT microstreamer I've been using for 2.5 years).

Here's also my YT video about it. I did the best I could with what I have, but don't expect it to be pro or anything. :)

I like your reviews, keep them up.

I recently bought a D30 at first I wasn't over the moon but it's grown on me. I am also going to test the D10 later this week.

I did like the Khadas but mine was somewhat defective. I was looking at hifiberry's new USB interface and XLR dac.

Need to feed my new budget beast amp.

Top Bottom