• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL M500

TC!!

Some say that the d5 is actually design and made by smsl, or at least has some relation with the company. Looking inside the two product I actually find some similar design (such as the amp part). So assuming this, I think this two will likely measure similarly, maybe the d5 will be a little better due to better power supply. Also the d5 has lls input and xlr4 output but in my opinion form factor and weight is an absolute advantage of the m500. It easily fits my carry on bag and I may even bring it with me on a trip. I think both device support USB quite well on windows10 (there are some problems with Linux mentioned in this thread, but I am not a Linux user so I cannot test it). I don't know if Amir will post the m500 measurement in a few days, so I think it maybe wiser to wait for the test result.
By the way, the m500 actually sells even cheaper in China, if transfer to EUR at 8:1 rate that's no more than 300EUR, while the d5 doesn't sell in China at all, which means buying the m500 is my obvious choice...

Thanks for the response, I'll be interested to hear what Amir thinks of the balanced output, that's vital for me. The issues people are reporting with low volume also puts me off.

Also seems to be good prices for both on hifi express:
https://hifi-express.com/products/the-m500-pre-sale
https://hifi-express.com/products/sabaj-d5-audio-dac-ess9038pro-heaphone-amplifier

Last edited:

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
smsl finally sent him one.

sabaj is an SMSL brand. @SMSL_Liu probably knows more about similarities between the designs.

armani006

I was waiting for Amirm's measurements about 2 weeks and today sent my M500 back as 14days guarantied return, because want to buy something with balanced amplifier. ..

Last edited:

NielsMayer

You download and unpack the RAR file only to find out that it works in Windows and Mac, leaving me, a Linux and Android user, unsupported.... Fortunately, the free amazon prime return will take care of the issue w/ less hassle (there's a hardware issue anyways w/ one of the optical ports being stuck open and not seating cable property requiring the item to be returned anyways).

Jaysz

Would that not just be a driver update not a firmware update just unpacking a rar.

NielsMayer

For windows, it is both a driver update on windows, and a firmware update on the M500.
For the mac it is just a firmware update.

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone who can update the improvements to the M500 after the recent driver update?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Anyone who can update the improvements to the M500 after the recent driver update?

I sent a note asking for the latest release notes yesterday. If I hear back I will post.

Jaysz

So downloaded the update my dac still shows sw 1.4
Xmos v 4.67.0 .
Should it show 1.7.

SoyBean0809

The XMOS driver in the update package is actually the same as the original driver from the website, so I think it is only to make sure you have the right driver before updating the firmware.

Jaysz

Computer shows updated but dac
Doesn't.
Still 1.4
So not sure how to do this.

Attachments

• IMG_20191024_175311.jpg
    IMG_20191024_175311.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 469
Top Bottom