• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL M500

OP
K

killervidra

My M500 comes soon. Ok It is possible to adjust volume on XLR too but not possible to use XLRs output direct to headfones? Because mine planars have 50 Ohms, I don't have to use XLR output without external amplifier right?
As far as I know, line outs cannot be used for headphones. If you would like to have balanced (XLR) headphone out, then think about Sabaj D5.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
it seems like the output topology is copy pasted from the sabaj d5 which, if i understand folks correctly, is a brand owned by or designed by smsl. someone pointed out that it's missing a phase on the xlr outputs. with SMSL, any combination of controls is really possible. eg, why doesn't it have a front control knob other than what looks like the headphone amp volume? because SMSL. *shrug*

Urushi

I am curious to see how the controls work...maybe it has a touch screen?

mkawa

if it's like the sanskrit 10th, most controls are only accessible via the remote control. manual does not indicate a touchscreen

correction: see below, you can use the dial/button on the front to access the menus

Last edited:

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
That screen on it looks exactly the same as the Sabaj D5 -- it isn't a touch screen, way way too small.

DeepSpace57

it seems like the output topology is copy pasted from the sabaj d5 which, if i understand folks correctly, is a brand owned by or designed by smsl. someone pointed out that it's missing a phase on the xlr outputs. with SMSL, any combination of controls is really possible. eg, why doesn't it have a front control knob other than what looks like the headphone amp volume? because SMSL. *shrug*

Sabaj D5 has four pairs of op-amps OPA1612 compared to 3 pairs on the board of SMSL M500. That's why D5 has a higher dynamic range.

DeepSpace57

Sabaj D5 has four op-amps OPA1612, not four pairs.

So, Smsl m500 has 3 at the same kind then. So what matters? 4 is bigger than 3, am i right?

Sabaj d5 : 4 high-end dual op-amps OPA1612
SMSL M500: 3 high-end dual op-amps OPA1612

masonHsieh

Sadly, M500 doesn't have a touch screen. You can either press the dial to navigate the interface or just use the remote controller.
For the output, you can only use either headphone out or line(RCA/Balance) out at a time. And yes, they do have separate volume settings, so you won't get any surprises when switching back and forth from the headphone out and line out.
M500 actually does the switch for you, once you switch the output, it'll automatically change the volume setting.

Last edited:

armani006

So, Smsl m500 has 3 at the same kind then. So what matters? 4 is bigger than 3, am i right?

Sabaj d5 : 4 high-end dual op-amps OPA1612
SMSL M500: 3 high-end dual op-amps OPA1612
I just corrected to 4 op-amps, somebody can read your post and think wrong about 8 op-amps (4 pairs) in Sabaj D5. And, yes, 4 is still biger than 3 ))

mkawa

from the pcb pictures, d5 output stage is two 1612s in series per channel to the XLRs and RCA is derived from this. m500 output has one 1612 per xlr output and one 1612 for the RCAs.

HP amp on m500 is also a new discrete design.

armani006

m500 output has one 1612 per xlr output and one 1612 for the RCAs.
HP amp on m500 is also a new discrete design.
Can be two XLRs balanced with just one OPA1612? Or I undestood wrong, you mean one 1612 per one XLR, thus two 1612s for XLRs?

Urushi

I get mine tonight. I am curious to see how it performs compared to my RNHP w/ Topping D50s. RNHP has six of the cheap NE5532s (I am guessing two for each input).

mkawa

Can be two XLRs balanced with just one OPA1612? Or I undestood wrong, you mean one 1612 per one XLR, thus two 1612s for XLRs?
yah, the latter; there is one 1612 per XLR connector

CRKebschull

Forum Donor
Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
They do not sell it for Spain and it is not in stock. In any case, better to wait, it is a new product and it is not going to be that it has a bad surprise...

Veri

Master Contributor
Oh yeah that link seems limited to Germany? That's odd, most items on amazon.de are open to lots of countries.

mkawa

can someone confirm that you can change the preamp volume (and reach and control the general menu hopefully?) with the knob on the front?

trying to decide between topping d70, sabaj d5 and m500 for a fully balanced chain i'm building..

Urushi

I have been listening to my M500 (on its own) and my Pro-ject Pre-Box S2 (paired with my RNHP) and I notice that when you play through MQA through either of them the volume goes way down....like it barely goes loud enough for me. Is this normal? I am connect to my iMac. If I switch to the 3.5mm input on the RNHP it still goes pretty loud but the knob is at 2 o'clock.

If I plug into the Pro-ject directly it doesnt go loud enough at all. I am using HD650s. Also is the Pro-ject made in China? it doesnt say where it is made anywhere on the unit or the box/manuals.

One thing I can report is that the RNHP sounds much better with the HD650s than the M500...so regrettably despite the better specs the M500 is going back. Can't really tell any difference when it is connected to the Topping D50s and Pro-ject...maybe if I can get the MQA up to the normal volume the Pro-ject might be worth keeping.

Last edited:
Top Bottom