• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL M500

geek101

Forum Donor
Another observation is that RCA Line out from SMSL M500 does not have enough juice for my JDS Atom, maxing the volume in SMSL m500 and also maxing out the volume of JDS Atom, in normal gain, is giving me no joy when compared to Topping D50s. Using high gain on JDS Atom is still not bumping the volume high enough. Clearly voltage output of D50s via RCA is superior is what this leads me to believe. May be this unit is meant to be used via XLR only?.

xrodney

Another observation is that RCA Line out from SMSL M500 does not have enough juice for my JDS Atom, maxing the volume in SMSL m500 and also maxing out the volume of JDS Atom, in normal gain, is giving me no joy when compared to Topping D50s. Using high gain on JDS Atom is still not bumping the volume high enough. Clearly voltage output of D50s via RCA is superior is what this leads me to believe. May be this unit is meant to be used via XLR only?.
I dont know your headphones but this sound just weird.
Using cheap Loxjie A10 as power amp I can probably blow up my speakers (KEF R300) if set line out to max on M500 and I could probably blow my headphones AKG-712 pro using M500 alone.
It give more juice than my old AVR Pioneer VSX-930.

w1000i

Forum Donor
Weird, I think maybe you have issue in you PC. Check the sound level at you PC and maybe you should try exclusive mode in your PC

masonHsieh

I just test the RCA output with my Aune X7s and Massdrop O2. At first, I was having the issue just like what you mentioned. After I turn the volume to 40(maximum) on M500, I no longer have the problem.

Urushi

I bought one because I like the factor better for my desk than a Sabaj D5. I hope it sounds good.

armani006

Hi, can anybody proof my assumption, I don't know if it is possible to regulate volume from XLRs outputs? i.e. are XLRs have output from amplifier or pre-amplifier?

w1000i

Forum Donor
Hi, can anybody proof my assumption, I don't know if it is possible to regulate volume from XLRs outputs? i.e. are XLRs have output from amplifier or pre-amplifier?
From the op-amplifier stage which it share with Headphone amplifier also (another stage of amplifications for the headphone )

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From the op-amplifier stage which it share with Headphone amplifier also (another stage of amplifications for the headphone )
wait, so the headphone output volume controls the xlr output volume and the preamp volume only controls the single ended rca output?

mkawa

press C before you try any other buttons. it makes no sense, but it's an SMSL thing with their dacs.

armani006

wait, so the headphone output volume controls the xlr output volume and the preamp volume only controls the single ended rca output?
So what in the end, XLRs are output from amplifier and RCAs are output from pre-amp?

armani006

op-amplifier stage which it share with Headphone amplifier
What is this - "op-amplifier"? I would say that both 6,5mm and XLRs in this case are outputs from amplifier and it is balansed two OPA1612 just 6,5mm has un-balanced wiring but from the same amplifier.
I ordered M500 and waiting delivery, want to wire my balanced headfones to XLRs cus don't want to use stereo 6,5 output.

Last edited:

w1000i

Forum Donor
What is this - "op-amplifier"? I would say that both 6,5mm and XLRs in this case are outputs from amplifier and it is balansed two OPA1612 just 6,5mm has un-balanced wiring but from the same amplifier.
I ordered M500 and waiting delivery, want to wire my balanced headfone to XLRs cus don't want to use stereo 6,5 output.
I don't think the XLR will have the output to drive headphone

armani006

Hey, I found the answer in description: "On the output side, the M500 offers 6.35mm jack for the amplified headphone output and unbalanced RCA as well as balanced XLR for the preamplifier outputs"

mkawa

which volume controls affect which outputs?

OP
K

killervidra

which volume controls affect which outputs?
I assume, volume can be adjusted on headphone output and RCA/XLR output separately as it was advertised by SMSL. Since on both line outputs (RCA and XLR) you can have signal in the same time, sounds logical that you will adjust it also both together. But someone can confirm / refuse this, who has already a nice M500 on hand. :)

armani006

I assume, volume can be adjusted on headphone output and RCA/XLR output separately as it was advertised by SMSL. Since on both line outputs (RCA and XLR) you can have signal in the same time, sounds logical that you will adjust it also both together. But someone can confirm / refuse this, who has already a nice M500 on hand. :)
My M500 comes soon. Ok It is possible to adjust volume on XLR too but not possible to use XLRs output direct to headfones? Because mine planars have 50 Ohms, I don't have to use XLR output without external amplifier right?

Top Bottom