• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL M500

OP
K

killervidra

You are right there is only "HP Out" and "Line out" option in menu so it must use both RCA and XLR at same time.
I don't have amp with XLR input to test it and my old osciloscope is broken so.... wont be able to test it anytime soon.

As for HP out power, with my AKG 712 pro (50 Ohm) comfortable volume to listen is for me between 10-18 out of 40, depending on song and mood, so plenty of room there for more demanding headphones.
OK, Thanks. XLR outs I want to use to drive my studio speakers and for a parallel setup (I used previously as main, but nowadays just a spare with vintage amp and speakers from the 70') I would like to use the RCA outs. Good to hear, that your headphone driven by the amp well, I have also an AKG with 62 Ohms, hopefully there will be no issue with it :) .

masonHsieh

Got my m500 today. Pair it with my baby, sendy aiva. It sounds much better compared to my previous sdac+o2 amp. While sendy only got 32ohms impedance, but I have to turn the volume up to around 20(which may be quite loud for some people). The resolution and imaging are much better than the sdac+O2.

p.s It gets slightly warm(temperature) after 1hr of usage, but definitely cooler than the aune x7s.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Today I received an M500 from China and immediately tested it.
Currently I use Topping's D50S and DX3Pro, but I also purchase D10, DX7s, SU-8.

1. The change in sound quality feels slightly more transparent in the high range.

2. PCM768k DSD512 MQA plays stably.

3. There is no pop noise when switching to songs with different bit rates.

4. Line output and headphone output cannot be output simultaneously.
Select one of them. The volume can be set separately. There is no 100% fixed output mode for line output.

5. RCA output and XLR can be output simultaneously.

6. If the input is switched to OPT / COAX when connected via USB, the USB connection will be disconnected.
USB connection is maintained even when switching to OPT / COAX on TOPPING products and SU-8. If the input is switched back to USB again, the song will continue to play, but on the M500 the player will stop playing and a connection error will be displayed.

7). The AC cord is extremely short. It is only about 50CM long. I replaced it with a long AC cord.

That is my first impression. All you have to do is wait for amirm measurement.

Postscript
The M500 does not have Auto Sleep and automatic wake-up functions that follow PC startup and shutdown.
For me who used Topping's DAC, the M500, which needs to be turned on and off every time, is very inconvenient.

In the manual description, the setting range of DIMMER is
4. DIMMER LEVEL 1 ~ LEVEL 9
It has become
Lowering LEVEL2 will turn off the display.
Is the display OFF = LEVEL1?

MQA sampling rate display
When playing an MQA file, the sampling rate of the original master recording is displayed.

The display turns off when the power switch of the M500 is turned off, but the case remains hot regardless of whether the power is on or off.

Last edited:

Julery

"4. Line output and headphone output cannot be output simultaneously.
Select one of them. The volume can be set separately. There is no 100% fixed output mode for line output."

This part gotta consult them ( smsl ) about unity gain on RCA 2V and XLR 4V out volume level.

OP
K

killervidra

1. The change in sound quality feels slightly more transparent in the high range.

Select one of them. The volume can be set separately. There is no 100% fixed output mode for line output.

6. If the input is switched to OPT / COAX when connected via USB, the USB connection will be disconnected.
USB connection is maintained even when switching to OPT / COAX on TOPPING products and SU-8. If the input is switched back to USB again, the song will continue to play, but on the M500 the player will stop playing and a connection error will be displayed.

7). The AC cord is extremely short. It is only about 50CM long. I replaced it with a long AC cord.

Hi, Toku !

Thanks for the short report ! Let me have a question: regarding the "popping noise" at switching songs, which unit/ manufacturer's product produced this in the past ?

w1000i

Forum Donor
"4. Line output and headphone output cannot be output simultaneously.
Select one of them. The volume can be set separately. There is no 100% fixed output mode for line output."

This part gotta consult them ( smsl ) about unity gain on RCA 2V and XLR 4V out volume level.

I like it not to have 100% fixed output, because you can adjust the DAC with the amplifier to the sweet spot.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi, Toku !

Thanks for the short report ! Let me have a question: regarding the "popping noise" at switching songs, which unit/ manufacturer's product produced this in the past ?
Products that generate pop noise are Topping D50, D50S and DX7s.
When these products play bit rate songs other than PCM384k and then play PCM384k songs, a big pop noise will be generated at the beginning of the song.
I reported this problem to Topping, but answered that it was difficult to resolve. Of course I also reported to the D50, D50s DX7s forum, but no one showed interest.
You can avoid this problem by not using PCM384k.

In SMSL products, pop noise is observed at D1.

I'm sorry, can you understand in my English?

Toku

Major Contributor
What headphone you have and how do you see the headphone output of m500, is powerful ?
Sorry, I am not a headphone user, so I just checked the operation after purchase. Details cannot be announced. The volume level is sufficient.
I use a cheap inner earphone made in Japan. There are four types, but I think the impedance is about 32ohms.

August

I really what to see how it performs against the Sabaj D5.
Why fight against, they are the same company. The main difference is the difference in price and performance of 2-3db.

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
Why fight against, they are the same company. The main difference is the difference in price and performance of 2-3db.

There is a significant price difference so I’m wondering what is different...

sakt1moko

Postscript
The M500 does not have Auto Sleep and automatic wake-up functions that follow PC startup and shutdown.
For me who used Topping's DAC, the M500, which needs to be turned on and off every time, is very inconvenient.

So mate, first impressions, worth the upgrade versus dx3pro?
Im a usually tidal user so the MQA is fundamental to me, I wanna know if SMSL500 make the total unfold of the files

Thanks!

XMOS XU216 should be MQA hardware encoder
What does that mean? It is good? Im so newbie on audiophile, and I want to get the best sound for tidal that budget can achieve. :)

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
There is a significant price difference so I’m wondering what is different...
I think the DAC part is almost the same.
The part that affects the cost difference

1. M500 uses an inexpensive switching regulator, but D5 is a heavy, large and expensive transformer power supply. As a result, the case size also increases.

2. D5 has balanced headphone output but M500 does not.

I forgot. D5 also has an I2S interface.

OP
K

killervidra

Products that generate pop noise are Topping D50, D50S and DX7s.
When these products play bit rate songs other than PCM384k and then play PCM384k songs, a big pop noise will be generated at the beginning of the song.
I reported this problem to Topping, but answered that it was difficult to resolve. Of course I also reported to the D50, D50s DX7s forum, but no one showed interest.
You can avoid this problem by not using PCM384k.

Hi, Toku

Your explanation was clear and fully understandable. Thanks. :)

Hemi-Demon

My D1 has never "popped" . I can hear a click when going from DSD to Redbook files though.

D

Deleted member 9685

For now, amplifier is going to limit DAC. I don't know any affordable amplifier with SINAD above 90dB.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So mate, first impressions, worth the upgrade versus dx3pro?
Im a usually tidal user so the MQA is fundamental to me, I wanna know if SMSL500 make the total unfold of the files

Thanks!

What does that mean? It is good? Im so newbie on audiophile, and I want to get the best sound for tidal that budget can achieve. :)

I haven't been able to personally hear any improvement from MQA vs any normal 16/44, but the M500 does show the little logo and does the full unfold.

So far, nice little DAC. I have it feeding 2 jbl 705p's at the moment, and so far so good.

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Really looking forward to amirms measurements - I'm considering either this or the Sabaj D5. The M500 is about €70-80 cheaper than the D5 where I live.

Top Bottom