• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL M500

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

bookman

Your very first post on the forum is to shout a demand of impatience at the site host? Did you stomp your foot too?
I have been following this forum for a long time.although i just registered.i reply because i want to express my expectations and the support to amirm.
But your love for him really surprised me.

pirxel

Guys, quick question, I have mine for a few weeks already and noticed something odd.
First, I couldn't set it to 32 bit, but after the firmware update I found here that's fixed.
But an old problem persists: if I set if for 352800 or 384000 Hz I get a regular pop noise if anything is playing (regardless the bit rate I set).
Any ideas of what could be going on? Anyone noticed the same?
It's not like 192kHz is not enough, but I just wanted to know what's going on.
1575918036463.png

pirxel

Hi.
Topping DX7s vs New SMSL M500, which is best buy right now ?
I'd say both are good, but the topping doesn't do mqa right, so that could be something that could help you choose. Otherwise, what I've heard so far is that the topping can sound slightly better, so if you're indifferent to mqa maybe go for it if there isn't much of a price difference

bobby1945

I have performed the software update 1.08 and now I am unable to get MQA to function ?

SW 1.5 HW 1.2

Last edited:

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have performed the software update 1.08 and now I am unable to get MQA to function ?

SW 1.5 HW 1.2
I have the same HW version and MQA works fine. I suggest do a hard reset. Power off then on while pressing in the volume knob I think

bobby1945

A ROON dac -M500 issue.
ROON does not recognize the SMSL M500 as a device and is not listed in the approved devices from a variety of DAC manufacturers : BUT the DAC is functional and I am able to play music , but I am assuming not optimised for the M500 , maybe just generic settings.
Have I missed something?
Thank you

w1000i

Forum Donor
A ROON dac -M500 issue.
ROON does not recognize the SMSL M500 as a device and is not listed in the approved devices from a variety of DAC manufacturers : BUT the DAC is functional and I am able to play music , but I am assuming not optimised for the M500 , maybe just generic settings.
Have I missed something?
Thank you
It is not issue and it doesn't need to be in recognized list ( nothing there as approved list ).

For best sound install M500 driver and use it ASIO driver in roon for M500.

bobby1945

I have been considering a vibration isolation systems for my M500.
Some really expensive pads available , so rather than spends thousands -yes thousands of $ on TungstenGrooves !!!!!! I conceived this tweak.
A suspension trampoline .
Basically its 3 shot glasses with elastic bands in 2 directions , with a small platform-made up of coins super glued together at the intersection of the elastic bands.
I found 3 glasses to be optimal and once positioned under the M500- by trial and error , 6 degrees of freedom was achieved for the supported DAC.
Now I'm not very good at remembering sound , but I felt there was a real significant clarity improvement and I will be keeping them for now.
Of course they look heath Robinson , but for the time being it is the improvement in sound that I am pursuing

narticus

Hello all. I'm wondering how hot this DAC runs if left always on. I'd like to just use it as a DAC for a speaker system, and possibly keep it in an enclosed cabinet, always on.

w1000i

Forum Donor
Hello all. I'm wondering how hot this DAC runs if left always on. I'd like to just use it as a DAC for a speaker system, and possibly keep it in an enclosed cabinet, always on.
It is cold and okay in close cabinet

w1000i

Forum Donor
I have been considering a vibration isolation systems for my M500.
Some really expensive pads available , so rather than spends thousands -yes thousands of $ on TungstenGrooves !!!!!! I conceived this tweak.
A suspension trampoline .
Basically its 3 shot glasses with elastic bands in 2 directions , with a small platform-made up of coins super glued together at the intersection of the elastic bands.
I found 3 glasses to be optimal and once positioned under the M500- by trial and error , 6 degrees of freedom was achieved for the supported DAC.
Now I'm not very good at remembering sound , but I felt there was a real significant clarity improvement and I will be keeping them for now.
Of course they look heath Robinson , but for the time being it is the improvement in sound that I am pursuing

Bring small bellow and that is the best isolation :)

w1000i

Forum Donor
I got an amplifier Singxer SA-1 with M500.
SA-1 is an unbelievable amplifier, my focal clear sound way way better with it.

Top Bottom