• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL M300

Veri

Master Contributor
Sanskrit MK2 and M300 MK2 have same driver link :rolleyes:
Umm they use the same XMOS microcode. Sooo that isn't exactly a problem/unexpected.
Your link for V4.6 does seem more up-to-date, though.

Magnifico

it wasn a link.....it´s the describtion of the download posted at SMSL.
board software may have created a link from it.

No problem and lazy website management are different issues though.
If you are told to download software for sanskrit and get download for M300 is not the right way, RIGHT?
Finally people are told only to use drivers matching the device.

wassim01

Hello, I want to share my experience of three weeks with the dac smsl m300 mk2, at the exit of the box the sound quality is not up to a dac of 246 euro, at this moment I always had my dac ifi zen dac with my smsl sp200 amp to make direct comparison between them. the biggest problem i found is that the separation of the instruments was mediocre and that the treble was not clear or brilliant. find a youtubeur who tests on audio equipment who has experienced the same situation with this dac, he advises to leave it running for a period of 48 hours to have the true potential of this dac.i did the same thing but the quality did not change much and so I extended this duration to around 150 hours. one day I started my favorite music and there it is the miracle I discovered a new sound, the sound scene is huge and dynamic with very good separation of the instruments, the mediums are detailed and natural, the highs us are detailed and lively without being exaggerated. the bass is very punchy and makes my akg k712 headset vibrate which never sang like that before.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you wassim01 for sharing your experience with this DAC. I've tested a lot of audio devices, and very often, at least on good devices, the running parts can make a big difference. I am happy to read your comments.

I have to move soon and then i'll buy this DAC. i'm very excited!!

wassim01

Thank you wassim01 for sharing your experience with this DAC. I've tested a lot of audio devices, and very often, at least on good devices, the running parts can make a big difference. I am happy to read your comments.

I have to move soon and then i'll buy this DAC. i'm very excited!!
you're welcome, here is a video of the smsl m300 performance demonstation :

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There was nothing about the sound quality etc. in the review.. he is getting worse these days.
Worse? It's sad that he even made mention on this site. He wouldn't know what a musical instrument sounded like if it fell on him and began playing itself. His setup is embarrassing, and he knows literally nothing about music or electronics.

There are lots of jobless people out there with actual skill/talent/knowledge in this arena, it's just a shame that the jobless person without these skills/talents/knowledge is getting attention from people.

</Rant>

SO, I'm just getting around to this now. When did they release the MkII version? I didn't realize it had a dedicated power source input.

igorpadrao

Hello people, I am having a strange problem with my M300. It was feeding my Loxjie P20 (XLR) and everything was sounding fine. Then I bought a Schiit Magni Heresy and hook it up with the DAC (via RCA) and it sounded horrible, very noise and dirty. But the strange thing is that when I turn the P20 on, the Heresy starts to sound nice too, like if the P20 is cleaning the signal. Any clues of what could be happening?

Veri

Master Contributor
Hello people, I am having a strange problem with my M300. It was feeding my Loxjie P20 (XLR) and everything was sounding fine. Then I bought a Schiit Magni Heresy and hook it up with the DAC (via RCA) and it sounded horrible, very noise and dirty. But the strange thing is that when I turn the P20 on, the Heresy starts to sound nice too, like if the P20 is cleaning the signal. Any clues of what could be happening?
Sounds like a grounding problem, with active P20 XLR connection fixing a ground loop. still weird.

igorpadrao

And the culprit is definitely the M300. I hook up the Magni with my SMSL M3 and the sound comes out very good.

MalinYamato

I used to travel to Japan almost once a month. Being a photographer, I used to love to go to Ueno park in Tokyo on Sundays and watch/take pictures of the weddings there. The avatar is one such picture. Here is the larger version:

_G5T0478-XL.jpg

And another:

_G5T0517-XL.jpg

Japan by far is one of my favorite countries to visit. Love the food, people, customs, and landscapes.
so lovely, I used to live not far away from Ueno park in Koishikawa. Its my favorite place to drink and party during sakura blooming.

igorpadrao

And the culprit is definitely the M300. I hook up the Magni with my SMSL M3 and the sound comes out very good.
Even with the M300 connected via optical cable and being fed by a portable charger the problem continues. Maybe I had the luck to get a defective unit.

coomean

Just got my M300 MKII yesterday and I am listening to it with SP200 through XLR. Very good first impression, build and feature wise.

But one question. I used the USB to connect my macbook pro to M300. The sampling rate shown on the M300 screen is always 44.1 khz, regardless what music files I am playing. Does anyone know what is happening here?

Veri

Master Contributor
Just got my M300 MKII yesterday and I am listening to it with SP200 through XLR. Very good first impression, build and feature wise.

But one question. I used the USB to connect my macbook pro to M300. The sampling rate shown on the M300 screen is always 44.1 khz, regardless what music files I am playing. Does anyone know what is happening here?
Have you checked the Audio MIDI settings? Your device is simply set to 44kHz there. To have auto changing rates you need a supporting player.

coomean

Have you checked the Audio MIDI settings? Your device is simply set to 44kHz there. To have auto changing rates you need a supporting player.

Yes, I did check the Audio MIDI setup and changed the Format to 192 khz or 384 khz. But the M300 screen just took the sample rate I set in the Audio MIDI and never change it based on the file.
I have so far tried VOX and Pine, but neither of them auto change the rate on the M300 screen. Do you have a recommended player?

Kane1972

This is what concerns me about DAC's with no screens or colour LED's showing sample rate, how would anyone ever know if this was going on on these DAC's?

Magnifico

Well I think there is a way sort of at least. But I´m like you....I WANT A DISPLAY.

Hz.png
Hz2.png

zym1010

Forum Donor
Yes, I did check the Audio MIDI setup and changed the Format to 192 khz or 384 khz. But the M300 screen just took the sample rate I set in the Audio MIDI and never change it based on the file.
I have so far tried VOX and Pine, but neither of them auto change the rate on the M300 screen. Do you have a recommended player?
BitPerfect, Audirvana, Colibri

coomean

BitPerfect, Audirvana, Colibri

thank a lot, I will give them a try.
BTW, is this problem with Mac OS (not auto-switching sampling rate) DAC specific? In another word, is it the case that other DACs might do the auto-switching on Mac OS right out of the box?

Top Bottom