• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL M300

Kane1972

I wish all these manufacturers would all release DAC only versions as well as ones including headphone amps. Keep cost down for those who have good head amps.

Kane1972

Wonder how the M500 will compare to the VMV D1? At a third of the price of their flagship 9038 pro equipped DAC, it seems like an odd move. I'm guessing the D1 must still sound better?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Wonder how the M500 will compare to the VMV D1? At a third of the price of their flagship 9038 pro equipped DAC, it seems like an odd move. I'm guessing the D1 must still sound better?

I wouldn't expect any audible difference...

This should be an interesting device... Preorders available on Apos if anyone is interested.

Kane1972

I wouldn't expect any audible difference...

This should be an interesting device... Preorders available on Apos if anyone is interested.

So how they going to expect anyone will buy the D1 now then?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So how they going to expect anyone will buy the D1 now then?

Maybe they were already losing to the RME, price is around the same...

This $300-500 place seems to be where many are focusing, so why not compete with the best product you can put together in that category.

Veri

Master Contributor
Maybe they were already losing to the RME, price is around the same...
This $300-500 place seems to be where many are focusing, so why not compete with the best product you can put together in that category.
Well with the upcoming resister ladder VMV D2 they are competing with the likes of Yggdrasil and Holo spring so... going for that niche top dollar segment I suppose.

Kane1972

I certainly don't have a problem with them making a product that sounds the same as their flagship at a third of the price, but I just wonder where the price difference comes from? Must be build quality then, thicker and stronger boards, casing etc? Tougher connections? It must cost more to build the D1 than the M500, but if that extra cash doesn't result in better sound, then what's the point as the M500 still seems well built enough.

Veri

Master Contributor
It must cost more to build the D1 than the M500, but if that extra cash doesn't result in better sound, then what's the point as the M500 still seems well built enough.
Yes well. Any budget 'above average' performer would probably do, we're buying into features and luxury, aesthetics and engineering.

"Better sound" is pretty hard to quantify.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I certainly don't have a problem with them making a product that sounds the same as their flagship at a third of the price, but I just wonder where the price difference comes from? Must be build quality then, thicker and stronger boards, casing etc? Tougher connections? It must cost more to build the D1 than the M500, but if that extra cash doesn't result in better sound, then what's the point as the M500 still seems well built enough.

I would assume these are priced more to the market than as a pure function of cost of parts/assembly. Trying to correlate them like that may not be useful.

As time goes on, you put together the best product for whatever segment you are going after, based on current knowledge and process, and price it within the segment to be competitive.

As DAC's have gotten well beyond the point of vanishing audio returns, consumers are going to expect more and more additional quality and features for less and less. This +/-$500 area has a lot of value being offered, with more coming all the time.

Naxos41

I have a different take on this. The only thing shared between the D1 and M500 is the chip. Everything else is vastly different. Most importantly, the product concept. The D1 with a quasi-separate power unit and dual chips will sit in the audio rack, while the M500 is a desktop unit that will sit next to your laptop. With three different available colors, the M500 doubles as a lifestyle component.

Despite having the $1300 official price tag, the D1 can be had for $800 at drop. Not to mention, the 9038 pro chip is already a couple of years old. I think the initial pricing of $400 is correct for both customers and the company. We will see if the Nov 11 sale or the drop listing further brings down the price. All I need now is Amir’s measurement. :)

Last edited:

August

Not sure what the point of the "true 32 bit" part is, if SINAD is 117 dB - equivalent to 20 bits.
It is only used to describe the USB interface chip specifications, and has nothing to do with SINAD.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is only used to describe the USB interface chip specifications, and has nothing to do with SINAD.

So it is purely for chip specifications, and has no practical relevance, right?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

By the way, it is funny, as in the email notification I got, the part of what I wrote that you quoted came out as "不确定“真正的32位”部分是什么,如果SINAD是117 dB - 相当于20位。" :)

August

By the way, it is funny, as in the email notification I got, the part of what I wrote that you quoted came out as "不确定“真正的32位”部分是什么,如果SINAD是117 dB - 相当于20位。" :)
Because I am using chrome for automatic translation(/▽\)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because I am using chrome for automatic translation(/▽\)

That is what I assumed, but it is funny how the email notification shows it in a different language and script than the web version.

Last edited:

Naxos41

That is what I assumed, but it is funny how the email notification shows it in a different language and script than the web version. By the way, my wife spent 8 years in Tokyo and I used to do Kendo and Iaido, and still do Kyudo. :)

hmmmmm....

Julf. Did you think August translated your post to Japanese? As a Japanese native, I am a little bit confused here, as Kendo, Iaido, and Kyudo are all Japanese martial arts (and Tokyo is in Japan, needless to say).
Or, if you knew it was Chinese and you thought China and Japan were close enough, I would not strongly argue against you, but still.... :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom