• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL M300

Rem

Oh i completely missed the Geshelli one. I think the volume control on it is a little weird design choice though. SMSL SU 8 v2 sounds good but I sorta want something a little smaller since i barely have any desk space. That new bal sdac looks good though but not sure if USB only power will limit it though.

Noodles

I really like what they've done with the B2 ... but they have no other gear with clock inputs ... maybe more stuff coming out soon ?
And i was also eyeing the m300 but with the shit experience that i had with the Sanskrit 10th (lots and lots of noise unless i run it on a battery) i'm kinda weary of the small form factor they have.

Viper Necklampy

You could use that new device as a wireless streamer I guess. It can also upsample to 192Khz with a (cheap) AKM sample chip.
And they will probably tell you an additional digital converter will make the signal "cleaner" somehow :D
I really hope this nice upsampling at 192khz/24bit will be also present in flagship SMSL D2 then! At least with optical, is all that D1 miss..

radical

Need an account to view the image.
Thats strange i dont have one and i can see it. (not in incognito mode though)
Could anybody else confirm?

Additional info, anybody plan to buy SMSL goods should wait a bit as between 6-14 May they will have a store promo in Ali.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thats strange i dont have one and i can see it. (not in incognito mode though)
Could anybody else confirm?

Additional info, anybody plan to buy SMSL goods should wait a bit as between 6-14 May they will have a store promo in Ali.
Yeah can confirm and after signing in, it redirects to a 404 page.

Jestercow

Any updates for the test sample? Holding off on purchase for the test results ;)

Naxos41

There is a YouTube video uploaded yesterday on this model. No meaningful info on the SQ, but gives you the size and form factor in a real setting. It looks bigger than I was imagining. The best part is, the video gives you a $20 discount code. I can't wait for Amir to test this unit.

P.S. Amir, what's up with the image of a Japanese bride in your icon??? I am Japanese.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
P.S. Amir, what's up with the image of a Japanese bride in your icon??? I am Japanese.
I used to travel to Japan almost once a month. Being a photographer, I used to love to go to Ueno park in Tokyo on Sundays and watch/take pictures of the weddings there. The avatar is one such picture. Here is the larger version:

_G5T0478-XL.jpg

And another:

_G5T0517-XL.jpg

Japan by far is one of my favorite countries to visit. Love the food, people, customs, and landscapes.

Tks

Major Contributor
A valid one at that. I’ve mentioned my thoughts on this ordeal before. For the majority of sales, as DAC inplementations start to equalize in terms of performance due to OEM DAC chip makers. The only thing left in terms of competitive edge will eventually be everything except performance.

AMPs (especially power amps for speakers as well) are still safe from this ordeal it seems for a little while longer. Though if makers finally took the hint and start borrowing or attempt to implement their own versions of the sort of “diff” feed forward correction that THX has pioneered into the market, amps too may follow this trend as well. Though amps can always default to then offering more and more power(again mainly for speakers), so they still have some wiggle room in terms of squeezing people for their money on things other than distortion performance in the consumer mainstream market.

As you can see the trends upcoming - folks like Topping and SMSL aren’t sleeping on this. The DX7 Pro that should land in two months, already has Bluetooth 5.0 (a nearly useless feature from all the reading I’ve done when it comes to audio, aside from maybe non obstructed line of sight range being drastically increased, and support for LDAC codec). It comes also with both balanced XLR, and a 2.5mm balanced (don’t recall seeing this on anything other than DAPs). A small footprint especially with the feature set, etc...

Heck even this device the M300, its form factor itself is a manifestation of chasing something besides good performance. (That being the market for people who want devices that aren’t so wide as they are now).

It’s real nice and exciting time to be into audio at the moment (at least for headphones, I have no idea how along things are coming in the mainstream speaker world, though even they are seemingly starting to take risks with wireless more and more).

Top Bottom