• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL C-100 DAC

@Dr Schweinsgruber
Thank you very much,

I find such reviews interesting and don't let anyone talk me out of it. I always have such preferences when comparing several devices directly with each other in my listening environment. Even if there are no clear metrological differences.

I came to a similar judgement as the Author Loomis T. Johnson when I described the sound of the C100 with my own words as artificial.

I ended up liking the Topping E30II best, as I already wrote. With my various speakers and amplifiers, the Topping E30II did not produce a boomy sound. Topping E30 and E30 II also differ a little bit in sound.
I'd claim that the degree of "clinical" decreases with price. I personally tested the SMSL DO100 MKII and cannot report Loomis' findings on that device. Sounds pretty good but a bit boxed in, albeit better resolving than my Marantz's SACD8005's integrated DAC.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I'd claim that the degree of "clinical" decreases with price. I personally tested the SMSL DO100 MKII and cannot report Loomis' findings on that device. Sounds pretty good but a bit boxed in, albeit better resolving than my Marantz's SACD8005's integrated DAC.
Unfortunately, the price is also not a criterion from which you can derive sound qualities. I find Amir's measurements more helpful for preselection. By the way, I only hear the small sonic differences of interesting DACs when I directly compare the devices in my system A/B/C... with each other. I have done that at intervals of a few years every now and then. With me a preference for AKM converters has crystallized soundwise. The E30II has two of them from a newer generation.

However, I could have done just fine with the C100, it's all about the little things.

Urib

The new mini DAC from SMSL - C100 has arrived, I'm waiting for the first impressions of the owner.
Will it decode MQA via its optical input?

streetcore

Hi everyone. I received a C100 a couple days ago and have a few questions. The last DAC I owned was a basic HRT Music Streamer that I sold about 8 years ago when I was moving. Just getting back into audio now and the C100 is the first DAC I've owned with a digital display.

Is it normal for the C100 to display the max sample rate of 768 all the time? Not sure why, but I was expecting it to display the sample rate of the file it was playing.

I'm using an old 2006 Macbook Pro running OSX 10.6.8 and iTunes that I dedicated to music back when I was using the HRT. My source material is mostly lossless AIFF files ranging from 16-44 to 24-196. Is the old hardware and software part of the problem? I also had problems providing power to the C100 with the USB port on the MBP and had to use a powered USB hub.

Thanks for any advice.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is it normal for the C100 to display the max sample rate of 768 all the time?
It's normal for an operating system to resample all system audio to one uniform sample rate.
On Mac, you can change that sample rate in the Audio Devices menu:
20140308audio_midi_d3.jpg
However, it won't change automatically depending on the file you're playing.

Not sure why, but I was expecting it to display the sample rate of the file it was playing.
If you want to disable that OS resampling and play all your tracks at the native sample rate, then you need to use a player that supports bit-perfect audio transmission.
On Windows, there's foobar2000 and many others, not sure about macOS.

streetcore

It's normal for an operating system to resample all system audio to one uniform sample rate.
On Mac, you can change that sample rate in the Audio Devices menu:
View attachment 261761
However, it won't change automatically depending on the file you're playing.

If you want to disable that OS resampling and play all your tracks at the native sample rate, then you need to use a player that supports bit-perfect audio transmission.
On Windows, there's foobar2000 and many others, not sure about macOS.
Thanks. I'll look into other players for the Mac. I know I have to upgrade the computer soon, but I'm on a budget and the old MacBook still works reasonably well for music.

Last edited:

streetcore

Look for Pine Player, Vox, Audirvana, Colibri ....
Thanks for the suggestions. None of those will work on my old Mac, so I'll have to start looking for something newer. I also had problems powering the C100 from the USB port on my MacBook Pro and got the error message below. Fortunately, I had a powered USB hub and that got it working. If I'd known there would be power problems I might have spent a bit more and got a DAC with a separate power supply.

If I'm shopping a new/used computer what sort of USB power specs should I be looking for to run a DAC like this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 1.18.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 1.18.00 PM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 91

staticV3

Master Contributor
If I'm shopping a new/used computer what sort of USB power specs should I be looking for to run a DAC like this?
Honestly all somewhat modern PCs and laptops should power the C100 just fine.
If you want to be extra sure, get a PC with USB 3.0 ports or higher, those can supply more current than USB 2.0.
(Still, I'd be very surprised if a modern 2.0 jack couldn't handle it)

streetcore

How old is your Mac?
On my MacMini late 2012 all these players work great.
Late 2006. Have a similar vintage Mac Mini as well. I guess they're both antiques now, lol. I have a newer iMac, 2015 I think, but it's in a different room than my audio setup. Wish I could figure out a way to use it.

OP
Zek

Zek

Major Contributor
There is an old version of Audirvan here, maybe it will work on Mac late 2006.

streetcore

There is an old version of Audirvan here, maybe it will work on Mac late 2006.
Thanks for the tip. I installed the Free Version 1 from that site and just installed it. Seems to be working, but too late to play with it now. I'll spend some more time with it tomorrow. The interface looks familiar and I think I tried it back in the day. May have switched back to iTunes just because the interface was more visually appealing and easier to use.

Cheers!

OP
Zek

Zek

Major Contributor
May have switched back to iTunes
I'm not very familiar with iTunes so I don't know if it can reproduce audio files in native sample rate, which is possible in Audirvana.

ddaudio

A couple of questions about the C100:

1. I get a small click through the speakers when the sample rate/bit depth changes or when I switch inputs - is this normal/common?

2. The C100's digital filters are:

FL1(Sharp Roll-off filter)
FL2(Slow Roll-off filter)
FL3(Short Delay Sharp Roll-off filter)
FL4(Short Delay Slow Roll-off filter)
FL5(Super Slow Roll-off filter)
FL6(Low Dispersion Short Delay filter)

Which one would be the "fast linear" equivalent? I'm guessing FL1, but was wondering about FL3.

It would be nice to see Amir review this one, to answer this and other questions, though it seems very similar to the already-reviewed SU-1, same DAC & USB chips, with the addition of Bluetooth. If I summon up the courage to open it up, I'll post pictures.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
if you're particularly bored here's a board inspection

vocals are hungarian but there's close caption subtitles

what i found a bit different is that the SU1 apparently has some caps in it that are Z grade

in this C100 they're using Nichicon caps so there's where your extra money is going to

on that part alone may as well upgrade given these are under $100 now

seamon

Just got my C100. It sounds identical to the SU-1.

Top Bottom