• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL C-100 DAC

Zek

Major Contributor
The new mini DAC from SMSL - C100 has arrived, I'm waiting for the first impressions of the owner.

Jarrett

This looks great, and I love the design. Latest XU316 usb interface, no unnecessary dual-dac chips (E30 II), Bluetooth. I hope to see this in the next Topping E30 model.

Snix

I would love to see this one reviewed.
With 120$, if it offers decent sound quality, this would be THE MVP (Minimum Viable Product) that covers most usages for 2nd-100th system lol.
(inb4 "BuT i NeEd BaLaNcEd OuTpUt!")

MCH

Major Contributor
77x32x95 mm USB powered less than 5w consumption, simple display, this is the future, love it! I hope one day they make a balanced version

Last edited:

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Glad they got rid of the PSU brick like the Topping DX1, hate those things on the desktop.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
interdasting device

akm4490 series and mqa

also no need for psu as it draws from your pc

it DOES have vol. ctrl. but no physical knob

hard to complain for the money

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
oh btw.

this thing uses the rc8a vs the common rc8c remote

so you're probably gonna find this will not get along with other smsl gear... so i have an smsl amp... you'll probably need to separate them on your rack so as not to interfere with the identical remote IR signalling

ie. putting up the volume with probably increase volume on both devices

Toph17

This smsl C100 looks interesting. I can't find any info on bluetooth. Does it support APTX-HD and LDAC?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
you can rest assured that if it doesnt say that it supports advanced codecs then its a basic aac/sbc bluetooth receiver... which is common for smsl... they're not gonna spend a cent they dont have to when they need to hit that $119 price point

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Hi

I would like to briefly describe my impression of the SMSL C100. Although I know that ASR doesn't put much emphasis on sound impressions, of course I still have an impression. Over the last 20 years I have owned more than a dozen DACs from various classic HiFi brands. Since my favorite DAC recently broke, I looked at the cheap 'no name' models from China and bought a total of 4 models to try: Topping 10S, Topping E30, E30 II, SMSL C100.

My summary: I kept the E30 II and even bought a second one for another listening room. The other ones I have sold already, the SMSL C100 I have sent back immediately to Amazon.

The E30 II sounds the best in my opinion, the SMSL C100 falls way behind. The SMSL's music playback seems comparatively insubstantial and artificial. By the way, I mainly listen to classical music and have compared these DACs with Neumann KH120 and JBL 305P MKII active monitor speakers and also on my larger JBL Studio 590 speakers with a Yamaha A S-700 amplifier.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
It's just my subjective listening impressions as an audiophile individual, that should be clear.

Otherwise, professionally, I am on the scientific side myself. For example, I don't know of any device with bad readings that still sounds good. Apart from the fact that I also like single-ended triode amps. ;)

Snix

Apart from the fact that I also like single-ended triode amps. ;)
shooshhh..... don't give yourself away... just smile and wave,,, smile and wave,,,

giphy.gif

alex5555

Hi,
I have bought it and I really like the sound quality, neutral and detailed. I have connected the DAC to a tube preamp and then to SMSL DA-9 Amplifier and the set sounds great to me.
Regards.

JoeWild

Hello, I'm new here. Bought this because I wanted a DAC with 16x MQA full unfolding and up to date with latest specs (32/728, DSD512) that wouldn't break the bank. Bluetooth and usb-C instead of usb-B are a plus. Also the digital coaxial output is a must of course.

Unlike a reviewer here, I find it superb sounding. Neutral while "warm", detailed, open, analog sounding.

Sounds phenomenal to me, not artificial AT ALL

Another plus is there's a set up for 6 different "roll outs" which makes the sound change a bit according to preference. FLNo.3 is the one I like more but all are great.

Amp Yamaha A-S501 ans JBL 530 Studio Speakers.

My impression. I'm keeping it, specially because a lot of DACs don't have MQA rendering and i know there's controversy but I like the MQA sound.

10/10 to me. Sound is crystal clear.

There's a YouTube video somewhere.. a guy compares this to a TUBE DAC on the 1000's and prefers the SMSLC100 and his way of doing things is so that one can hear it on headphones. Look it up.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
My friend prefers the C100 over the SU-6:

@Dr Schweinsgruber
Thank you very much,

I find such reviews interesting and don't let anyone talk me out of it. I always have such preferences when comparing several devices directly with each other in my listening environment. Even if there are no clear metrological differences.

I came to a similar judgement as the Author Loomis T. Johnson when I described the sound of the C100 with my own words as artificial.

For all that, there is a somewhat “clinical,” quality to the C100, which is to say that instruments are so etched and presented so cleanly that your ears tend to focus on the individual performers rather that the integrated whole.

It’s a very refined presentation nonetheless—compared to the ($130) Topping E30 DAC it replaced in my system, the Topping sounds fuller and has less digital coloration, but considerably trails the SMSL in detail retrieval and (esp.) low end definition; the Topping sounds a bit boomy in co
I ended up liking the Topping E30II best, as I already wrote. With my various speakers and amplifiers, the Topping E30II did not produce a boomy sound. Topping E30 and E30 II also differ a little bit in sound.

Top Bottom