• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL all-in-one amplifier?

Vini darko

Major Contributor
That's a very impressive set of measurments. Even dipping into the point triple zero category :eek:
Smsl done good

OP
Max

Max

Forum Donor
DAC+Preamp(Analog in)+Poweramp

Thanks for the measurement Wolf! Very good job!

I don't read chinese (just looked at the measures and pictures). Is it a prototype or a finalized product?

And overall, what is your global feeling with it? Well designed, well manufactured, easy to use? Thanks for your feedbacks :)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's still a TDA7492 amplifier from ST Electronics. It is not recent technology. To have had some chips of this technology, I find musically speaking quite ordinary as a sound.

https://www.st.com/en/audio-ics/tda7492.html

On the other hand, perfect as background music or for a secondary piece.

Also the price is very good, and I like what SMSL do.

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
There is some discussion of this amp on Amir's SA400 Test thread. It appears to be a close cousin with digital inputs. It is not clear to me if Wolf's test results, which look significantly better than Amir's, used the digital inputs.
I used the Coax input in my measurement. I remember that I verified it with an analog input and it was almost the same. So I did not output the chart. To confirm, I will re-measure the result of the analog input

HorizonsEdge

I read the translated page. currently the last comment is
Will there be power amplifiers in the future? The current price of the power amplifier market is too nonsense. There is aiyima a07 in the hundred knives. The performance and interface are all four-digit gadgets. It is true cerebral hemorrhage.

Translation is great but sometimes what you get makes you laugh!

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With the recent DA-9, SM400, VMV A2 and this class A VMV A1 release, SMSL is getting more serious about audiophile speaker amps. Yeah! It seemed odd that companies like Topping and SMSL would engineer state of the art headphone amps and DACS but not speaker amps of the same quality. I see the A1 has a headphone jack on the rear.

The A1 seems odd for a class A in that while it has a temperature monitor on the display, it is physically small with no visible heat sinks or venting. My view has been that Class A is similar to an R-2R DAC in that there are easy to explain theoretical benefits, but probably no measurable or audible benefits.

mononoaware

I see the A1 has a headphone jack on the rear.

Yes I thought this was odd, kind of saying “it’s here” but “I am a speaker amp” or only for special use case ?

Another thing I found odd about the VMV A1 is it has RCA inputs only.
While the matching VMV D1se has both Balanced XLR + Unbalanced RCA outputs.

Constant temperature monitoring is interesting and useful for a compact design/small amplifier which is easily pushed to limits.

Sound86

I just wished they would give their DA-9 Wifi or at the very least a USB-In at the back. At the price point of the VMV series there is just too much decent competition and the same will probably be true for the new A2.

adamjohari

Feel like a DA-9 with a Topping D10s Dac would be way cheaper for not much less performance

Top Bottom